Lower seat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BennyBen

Lower seat

Post by BennyBen »

Hi guys,
Since I have my motorcycle license and a BMW F800GT my wife now use the little Buddy 50 (Metro in Canada). The seat is just a tad too high. Anyone customised the seat themselves? You know removing the lining, then scrapping a layer of foam. And finishing by putting back the lining or a new one.
The factory lower seat is hard to find in Canada. And would be too costly to order from the states.

thanks
Dooglas

Re: Lower seat

Post by Dooglas »

You left out the third option, which would be the one I would choose. Locate a shop which does custom seats and reupholstery for motorcycles. Have them do the work for you.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

true, I've asked a quote. Thanks
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Are you handy at all? Take a small straight screwdriver and pry out all of the staples holding the cover on. Get to the foam and go to town using a fine serrated bread knife, a rasp and a sanding block. I like the manual knife over an electric one. Start shaping. I have a 36 grit sanding disc attachment for my Makita angle grinder. It removes material quickly. Once you are satisfied staple the cover back on. A cheap hand staple gun that shoots JT21 1/4" staples is all you need. Check out youtube for videos. I've done a half dozen seats over the last 10 years. I paid a professional the first time. I brought it home and spent half a day doing what the upholsterer should have done before I re-stretched the material. Have you asked Scooterworks for a shipping quote? $113 seems a whole lot cheaper than any upholstery shop would charge you. 1.5" it says it shaves. That's $75 an inch before shipping.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Stock shock is 280mm. I don't think I'd go much lower than a 260. You can probably drop another inch with a shorter shock.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3