New to forum

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hockeyguy

New to forum

Post by hockeyguy »

Just got 2007 buddy 50. Starts then dies. Not getting gas to bowl. Have tried everything. Only starts on starting fluid / carb cleaner. Help!! Thanks.
eggsalad

Re: New to forum

Post by eggsalad »

When you say you've tried everything, you should assume that either:
a] the scoot isn't repairable
or
b] you haven't actually tried everything

These scooters have a vacuum-operated petcock. If you're not getting fuel from the tank to the carb, you should check that the petcock is operating correctly and is not blocked with sediment.

But I assume you've done that, since you said you tried everything.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Ultra-sonic clean the jets from the carb, and make sure the float bowl is clean as well. My "I may be getting a pink Buddy 50...." thread had the same issue and my solution.
hockeyguy

Post by hockeyguy »

I have gas from the tank to the carb. I have cleaned every jet. Force starting fluid into bowl, it will start. Checked float. Looked ok. Reluctantly ordering new carb.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I thought the same thing with jet cleaning. If your stock carb isn't corroded or rotted out inside rebuild it. If you order a cheap China replacement carb you'll get cheap China carb performance. I hate cheap replacement carbs. If your Buddy 50 has low miles that means its been sitting. Sitting is bad because of our cruddy gas in the USA. Ethanol is the enemy.

My pink Buddy sat for awhile and the gas in the tank smelled horrible! I've also never personally seen a petcock for the fuel tank go bad. Maybe I'm lucky. Recheck all the jets, make sure the atomizer isn't clogged with crud and your float height is set correctly. I've seen to many hack jobs from improperly rebuilt carbs.When you buy the scooter non-running there is usually a reason.