Buddy 170 Performance

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GenBud170

Buddy 170 Performance

Post by GenBud170 »

Hello everyone,
I have been on my Buddy 170i for 2500mi and would like to increase my top end and over all performance. Is their a thread for the 170i specifically?
I had a whole paragraph typed out on all the parts I had in mind but it would just be easier to ask the pros for recommendations. Looking for an all around jump in performance paired with a gear up kit.

Sorry if this is either posted in the wrong place or has been talked about in depth elsewhere. New to this scooter game.
DeeDee

Re: Buddy 170 Performance

Post by DeeDee »

That scooter out of the crate is pretty well dialed in to begin with. Most important thing you can do is be sure your maintenance is up to snuff. Check the pressure in your tires. They can be 12 lbs low and still look full. Have the correct amount and kind of engine oil and gear oil. Clean air filter and spark plug as well. You can swap out your stock rollers for Dr. Pulley Sliders and add a windshield for better aerodynamics. I ended up replacing my 170i with a Vespa GT200, problem solved.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
wheelbender6

Re: Buddy 170 Performance

Post by wheelbender6 »

Power adders like aftermarket exhaust and intakes will lean out your fuel mixture too much. Unfortunately, we have not found any company that offers a tuner ECU for the 170i, which allows you to adjust the fuel mixture.
-it’s easier to hop up a carbureted Buddy. They can adjust the fuel mixture with an inexpensive main jet change.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI