Buddy 50 won't start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SSIsailor

Buddy 50 won't start

Post by SSIsailor »

I have a Buddy 50 with about 2500 miles on it. A few days ago it would not start with the electrical starter, even though I keep a battery tender on it. I thought it was just an aberration. Kick started it and it worked just fine. Made sure the battery tender was working. The next day I had to do the same thing...would not start with battery...had to kick start it.

Today, it would not start at all, electric or kick. Pulled the battery. It's at 13 volts. Reconnected everything. Sounds like the solenoid will not engage starter. Still will not kick start.

What are the next steps for troubleshooting this problem.
tenders

Re: Buddy 50 won't start

Post by tenders »

How old is the battery? They typically don’t last more than three years, and can show full voltage without having enough capacity to actually power the starter properly. Kickstarting easily is a good giveaway that the battery needs to be replaced.

Now, not kickstarting: is the kill switch activated? if that is working properly you need to methodically check for spark, fuel, and compression.
SSIsailor

Re: Buddy 50 won't start

Post by SSIsailor »

Thank you for your response. Kill switch was first thing I checked. I'm going to purchase a new battery and see how it does.