Proposal to replace headlights with LEDs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Re: Proposal to replace headlights with LEDs

Post by DeeDee »

I like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295889 ... HmOqmyhHz4
Stock on the right, this one on the left.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-24 4.16.48 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-09-24 4.16.48 PM.png (124.44 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

I use the same light as DeeDee's too. What is critical: it is designed for AC and mesh-cooled, so shallow enough to fit into the headset. And nice and bright, of course.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

The low beam headlight on my Buddy 125 went out. (At least I'm assuming it is the bulb and not a fuse that I don't know about). Am currently riding using the high beam. Can I get a stock replacement of 12V 35W at local stores or will I need to order online to find one that fits into the Buddy? Can anyone recommend a good site they like? I haven't changed out the bulb before. Thank you.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Very very easy to change, just take the chrome bezel retaining screw out, pop off the bezel, remove two screws holding the top plastic headset piece, and pop off the top headset keeping the instrument panel attached.

I’m not sure what bulb the 125 uses, but it’s probably the same as the 50, which is available off the shelf. It’s a size H4 or HS1 or 9003. Truly the LED above is worth the wait if you order it.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

HS1 is the proper bulb. H4 is not. Will it plug in and function? Yes, but not correctly.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Order this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/122267463655?e ... XQVD1SJoi9 Or take this part number to your auto parts store and get the equivalent: Philips HS1 PX43t 35/35W
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I agree, HS1 is the OEM, I will adjust my notes accordingly, but HS1 and H4 are very close to interchangeable.

https://www.hondagrom.net/threads/headl ... rade.3018/
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

It's possible the author in the Grom thread is correct about 55watts vs. 35watts not overtaxing the charging system... on a Grom.

When wiring the deadlights on a Buddy, one must replace the factory-installed 2x 10watt bulbs with LEDs. Why? Because 20 watts of incandescent bulbs would push a Buddy's charging system to the edge.

My thinking here is that if an additional 20 watts of deadlights would push the charging system to the edge, so would an additional 20 watts of headlight bulb.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I don’t disagree about that possibility, but I’m advocating for the LED headlight bulb in the first place.

But the 125 probably does have enough juice to handle the additional 20 watts, less than 2 amps.
tenders

Post by tenders »

What "problems"?

If you aren't using an AC-compatible LED, yeah, you're going to have problems. DC-only LEDs will burn out unless you rewire the headlight to tap into the DC system, which is a lot harder than just using the right bulb.

With the right bulb, I and my two buddies with Buddies have no problems whatsoever with LEDs.