going electric?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eggsalad

going electric?

Post by eggsalad »

As much as I love my Buddy 150, an electric scooter makes gobs more sense for my use case. I'm having trouble finding such a thing.

I'll come across an article suggesting an electric scooter that would match the performance of my 150, but it's only available in India, or China, or someplace that isn't the US.

Searching for electric scooters on Google mostly leads to links for electrified Razor-type "kick" scooters.

Is anyone aware of any electric scooters that would equal a 150cc that are available for sale in the US?
Dooglas

Re: going electric?

Post by Dooglas »

Unfortunately for now the answer is no. About as close as it comes is the Niu NQi/GT. Needs a bit more top end and a bit more range.

I'm with you. Match the specs of a 150 (125/150/170) and you're about ready for prime time. Until then, the places where you ride are what they are.
Last edited by Dooglas on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Sondors Metacycle comes close, but it is still too expensive. No yet available either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86fTcMglv4
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Or an ONYX RCR.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

wheelbender6 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 am The Sondors Metacycle comes close, but it is still too expensive. No yet available either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86fTcMglv4
Hm, not looking for a pedal bike. I need something with cargo space like a Buddy.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

sc00ter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:48 am Or an ONYX RCR.
Also no cargo space. I guess I'm still waiting. I would really like an Ola S1, I think, but they're only for sale in India, and I'd have no idea how to export one. :(
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Have you ever considered an ebike? I to am waiting for the perfect escooter (not the stand-up Razor type) like a NIU but it hasn't been made yet. So I'm testing the waters so to speak with a RadRunner. I can ride on sidewalks, it has a throttle and I put a SHAD trunk on the back. With the weather being super hot lately I've been riding my Liberty 150 most of the time but I really like the ebike. Over 2000 trouble free miles on the RadRunner so far.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

eggsalad wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:58 am
sc00ter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:48 am Or an ONYX RCR.
Also no cargo space. I guess I'm still waiting. I would really like an Ola S1, I think, but they're only for sale in India, and I'd have no idea how to export one. :(
The Ola S1 Pro looks pretty good to me too.
The unusual shaped battery worries me a bit because it limits your selection when it comes time to replace them.

www.Olaelectric.com
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
peterp2

Post by peterp2 »

Check out the NIU MQiGT EVO. 0 to 45 in 3.3 seconds, top speed 64 mph, 5000 watt motor. It don’t get much better than this. They also have a motorcycle coming to the USA 🇺🇸
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I don't know which NIU model you had on the floor when I stopped by last month, but I think it was quick enough for me. Price needs to come down, unless you want to pay me stupid money for my 150 in trade :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Getting closer, but you'll notice that it uses 3 different program profiles (as do most e-scooters). The most battery efficient mode only offers about a 45 mile range and that one restricts top speed to 30 mph. I suppose it is good to have choices as far as range and speed, but we are not really there yet in terms of 125cc performance.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Completely understand both your desire to have one and the power needs. I looked and of course I came across the NiU, but it and all the others in that class just lack the 55-60+mph required to maneuver safely on modern American city and surface streets. Of course, there are plenty of electric motorcycles that are just "scooters" in the sense that none of them, nor any electric car etc, have a clutch, so they are all at least "scooter" in that one sense, but are all well far from the 35-5500 dollar price range of most scooters. Thats a long rambling sentence, but you get what I mean right? The vast majority that I see planned or being sold in the US only go 30mph or are being sold as electric motorcycles for close to $10,000. I am sure you have heard of the Vespa Elettrica, which, for $8,000 you can go 30mph. The 150cc power range is an "electric motorcycle" and much more expensive and none of the ones I've seen so far are step-thru or look like they have much cargo space.

You could take hope in the knowledge that Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio and others have bought into the same battery technology and they will all be swappable. I've included the link to that story. Buried in it is a bit about a 125cc equivalent built by Honda, but its not much more than a blurb about what might be. In fact its all hype until you can see one at a dealer here in the good ole USA. I read somewhere that this battery tech is actually just Gogoro, which would mean an even bigger shared battery tech. And keep in mind what I said all "electric Motorcycles" have no need for a transmission or clutch, so if that is what a scooter is to you, maybe just change your search to Electric Motorcycles. You probably know this stuff, just stating it for everyone.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/02/honda-ya ... ce3d0cd4b5
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

IDK about licensing requirements in the rest of the world, but the requirements in the US might be what's holding back sales of electric scooters in the >50cc classes. Getting an M endorsement requires time and effort. I'm not saying it's difficult, but you can't just buy a big scoot and drive it on a car license, and you need to get insurance, and most people, by the time they do that, want an actual motorcycle. I think that's what has held back sales of >50cc gas scooters as well.
skullydc

Post by skullydc »

BMW has one, but limited to 45mph and 80 mile range. Not to mention BMW pricing and ugly as sin IMO