TPS broke on me. What screwdriver to use?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

TPS broke on me. What screwdriver to use?

Post by mukaiboston »

From the service manual, it looks like Torx wrench, but I can't figure out what size. It looks like these wrenches are sold as a complete set so would I just buy a set in order to remove this thing. Does anyone know the T number for this?

For the past several months, sometimes my scooters engine would rev automatically or have a terrible idle. Sometimes the engine light would come on and it would flash out an error code for the TPS. I figured it was just the ECU so I reset it and problems resolved for a while. Now things are really bad. I lost power on a high-speed road for about three seconds and then lost power randomly and engine hesitating when I give it throttle. The issues are random and resolve themselves randomly. Engine light now on again with a TPS error code.

The manuel says a voltage of 0 means throttle shut while the higher number means WOT. So that makes sense then if the sensor is defective and sends out 0 voltage, the ECU will think I have let up on the gas and will slow the scooter down even if I am holding the throttle open.

This is the second sensor I've had to replace on this thing. Last year, my temperature sensor went out. Good thing these computers can tell me what is wrong with the scooter even if limited. Scooter is from 2013 with 28k miles.
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
tenders

Re: TPS broke on me. What screwdriver to use?

Post by tenders »

There are worse things to own than a set of Torx wrenches! A set from Harbor Freight will cover you on the Buddy. If you wear one of them out, buy a better set…but if you don”t, and you probably won’t, at least you didn’t over-invest.

Hi-roller cheapskate tip: buy the HF impact bits, even if you only use them for non-impact purposes. They’re quite durable but are still cheap, assuming the bits with the socket attachments are long enough to reach the fastener you’re adjusting. Do NOT buy HF impact air guns.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

A set of driver tips with a handle and ratchet are available most anywhere at a very reasonable price. The one I have includes a set of Torx tips, hex tips, Phillips tips, Robertson tips, and small sockets in both metric and SAE. Well worth having them in your tool box.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I stripped the screw! I'm probably going to have to use a saw to put a line in the protruding head and then take it out with a straight piece of metal.

Are people aware of what the setup is? The screw for the TPS is between the engine and the metal frame of the scooter so it is not possible to use a screwdriver and there is basically no clearance between the screw and the TPS housing to get pliers in there.

I put some liquid wrench rust remover on the screw and off comes this blue liquid...locktite for sure. I was trying to get the screws off using torx T20 L-wrenches as that is the only tool that will fit in this small space but that is why the screw did not come off.

I could also try soldering or super-gluing the L-wrench to the screw but not sure if it will hold. Anyone else done this? This is awful.

Like I said, the bar for the frame is less than 10cm from the TPS screw so, unless I want to dismantle the entire thing and pull the engine completely out, there isn't much I can do.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Also, I did quite a bit of googling and it looks like this issue is VERY common an all sorts of vehicles: boats, cars, trucks, motorcycles.

Torx screws in so tight sometimes even using red loctite (the permanent kind) and the screws strip easily.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I bought Dremel rotary tool and sawed a line into the top of the screw head. The metal is so soft, it shredded like sandpaper. No sparks.

Now with a notch in there, I took a long flat piece of metal (the tools to measure valve clearance and I used the thickest one) and put it in the notch with the ends handing off either side.

Pushing one hand down and pulling one hand up I still cannot get the screw to budge. It started slipping again so I'm going to drill a bit deeper.

This is crazy. Soft metal and locktite: who thought of this?

If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to disconnect the TPS and saw it out by sawing through the plastic part holding it to the engine while very carefully not hitting the metal engine that it is flush against.

This is a poor assembly if you ask me.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Heat it before removing. Makes a big difference in softening the Loctite.