Buddy 125 Making Knocking Sound after Oil Change

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lavish_Squalor

Buddy 125 Making Knocking Sound after Oil Change

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I had my oil changed about two weeks ago and almost immediately began noticing a "knocking" sound when I was coasting very slowly, when I was just about to come to a full stop and park. I don't hear it when I'm giving the scooter gas, only when it's coasting very slowly. At first I thought something was rolling around in the pet carrier. I'm a college professor and use the scooter to get around my campus. Even faculty parking at UCF is a nightmare. I bought the scooter new in 2011 but it's a 2009 model, and it currently has a little over 23,000 miles on it. I've faithfully maintained it with oil changes every 1,000 miles. I also just had the rollers replaced a few months ago. One of the guys at the campus HVAC department checked the oil just now and it's got plenty of oil . . . but he noticed that the oil smelled of gas. Any ideas what may be going on?
Dooglas

Re: Buddy 125 Making Knocking Sound after Oil Change

Post by Dooglas »

Of course, a lot of things could make a "knocking sound". But your comment about the oil smelling like gas needs immediate attention. If you really have gas leaking into your crankcase, it is likely either a failure of the auto fuel tap, or the needle valve in the carb failing to seat. Either way, if that is true you want to get it resolved sooner rather than later - and also change your oil.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

What happens when you run the engine with the scooter on the center stand? More specifically does it make any strange noises as you slowly give it gas, when you let off the throttle, steady throttle at different speeds while on the center stand? Also, while riding it have you noticed any new vibrations?

It can be really hard to identify noises on the Buddies.

And I agree that you should change the oil(you don't need to change the filter) and make sure the person is using 15w-40.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

Hi

Thanks for the response. I was never able to recreate the noise on the kickstand. I dropped it off at the repair shop this morning and told them about the noise and the odor coming from the oil. I'm glad I don't depend on it for anything other than getting between buildings at UCF. They told me it would be seven days before they could even look at it!