Does anybody make a softer rear shock for the Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GoSlash27

Does anybody make a softer rear shock for the Buddy?

Post by GoSlash27 »

I love my Buddy 125. My only gripe is it's painful to ride on rough streets. Every crack/ bump/ divot gets telegraphed right up my spine. As a result, I don't ride it nearly as often as I'd like.
I know there are all sorts of aftermarket kits to make it more nimble and transfer power better, but are there any options to do the opposite?

Thanks,
-Slashy
eggsalad

Re: Does anybody make a softer rear shock for the Buddy?

Post by eggsalad »

Slashy-

I'm afraid the simple answer is "there is no simple answer". I am not aware of any vendor offering a "soft ride" suspension for the Buddy.

The complex answer gets really complex. Suspension design involves both engineering and a touch of black art. You can certainly find softer spring/shock sets. Many scooters and bikes use a dual-shock setup, one per side, so the spring rates are half of what they'd be on a single-shock setup. But then you run the risk of being too soft and bottoming out the suspension on every bump. That would really hurt your spine.

There are probably 100 spring/shocks with the right eye bushing diameters at either end, and the correct length. Will any of them be better than stock? There's only one way to find out, and it can get really expensive.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

eggsalad,
Money I've got. I also understand the engineering behind parts selection since I used to design my own suspensions for autocrossing back in the day.
What I don't have is a lead on suitable candidates. All I know about the stock spring/ shock is that 1) it's a 550 lb/ inch progressive spring, 2) preloaded to 11" mounting, and 3) The Buddy 50 uses the same part number as the 125/ 150.
Any leads on candidates would be appreciated.

I'm also down for recommendations on a more comfortable seat.

Thanks,
-Slashy
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I typed "11" scooter shock spring" into Google and got 6,550,000 results. Surely a couple of them ought to be interesting and/or applicable.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This topic has been beat to death over the years. Your best bet is to use the search function and find detailed threads with links.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

DeeDee wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:23 pm This topic has been beat to death over the years. Your best bet is to use the search function and find detailed threads with links.
The search function doesn't really work since the server upgrade. You can find new posts and old posts, but a lot of the posts from ~2020 back to ~2010 don't come up, at least not for every search. You can try doing searches on google but even those results don't seem to show all the threads they should.

- - - -

To the OP. The stock seat and rear shock do soften up quite a bit after a few thousand miles. You can also try experimenting with your tire pressure, a couple of PSI can make a huge difference in the ride.

Or you could try a rear shock like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/191155685483?h ... xyi-ZTYVFu
Some people on here have tried shocks like this and said they are pretty soft.

Or if you want to try something a little more expensive there is the NCY shock with adjustable preload and dampening - https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Adjust ... gINePD_BwE

In the middle there is the Forsa - https://www.ebay.com/itm/222693127048?c ... gKQl_D_BwE

I haven't tried any of these shocks so I can't comment on how they ride.

You could also look into swapping your rear tire for the 130/70-10. I tried it and it seemed to help soften the bumps out, I didn't like how it handled in the corners so I don't run it. Even just upgrading from the OEM tires might improve your ride, I'm a big fan of the Pirelli Angels(3.50-10.)
tenders

Post by tenders »

I have the orange shock from the first link and don’t care for it. You can have it for shipping if you want to try it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

$37 with US shipping. https://www.brixiamoto.com/en/t4tune-52279.html Little dinky 3.5x10 tires with a single rear shock. A better shock will dampen the jarring a bit, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Be sure your rear tire is up to 33 lbs. It can be down to 12 and still look full.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

scootERIK wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:06 am Helpful stuff...
scootERIK,
Thank you!

Best,
-Slashy
CarolineGill

Post by CarolineGill »

Hi, I've been following your community for a long time, but now I decided to join and communicate with you) It's a pleasure to be here!!! I hope I can leave it here!! :D
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Slashy, I have a genuine sheepskin seat cover for a Buddy. It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Makes the buddy like riding on a cloud. I'm looking to sell if you're intrested, please pm me.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 1.20.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 1.20.47 PM.png (173.82 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

Airhawk cushions make the ride smoother, but the short wheelbase and tiny wheels of the Buddy result in a bumpy ride. But they turn so quickly that I just ride around the potholes.
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Follow up on my situation:
My mission to make Harley Quinn a comfortable scooter has been a rousing success! Still has the snappy Buddy handling, but floats over bad roads like a Cadillac.
Special thanks to DeeDee for the cooshy sheepskin seat cover. I love it! Also note the new Cuppini windscreen.
I also went with the RFY adjustable shock. You can see how much preload it needs to behave.

tenders was also kind enough to send me his orange shock to try out. I don't need it anymore, but I have a coworker with an orange Buddy who will probably love it.
Best,
-Slashy