DIY tire install comments

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

DIY tire install comments

Post by Mike1nw »

Buddy 125- 2008, 1,800 miles

Recently installed new Shinko 3.5-10 tires. I do my own tire installs, for my Burgman 400.

WOW. This was a PAIN (for Buddy). Hard to get old ones off, used tons of WD-40 which usually works for me.
Really hard to install new ones. Couldn't get the tires to pop. Even using medium sized air compressor, which is my last resort usually.

Had to take to a tire shop. They must have had a tough time too, there was soapy stuff all over the rear tire and wheel.

I think that the small diameter of the tires leaves little free space compared to the rim size? I doubt that wife and I will wear these Shinkos out in our lifetimes (about 500 miles a year at most 8)
sc00ter

Re: DIY tire install comments

Post by sc00ter »

Last time we (friend and I) did Buddy 10" tires they kicked our butts! But we get 'em on without dinging the rim lip up. Now the last Buddy tire I took to a local shop. Get the wheel back and there's a big old ding/dent on the lip. It wasn't my Buddy and I had to pay for it so I really didn't care. In the end it did teach me to never use that dealer for any further services. I have a local Honda dealership that does the install for $20, off the bike, if you buy the tire from them. Never a mark or scratch on any wheel and their tire prices are very fair. Plus the tires are full warrantied and not blems or dead stock. That's who I use exclusively now. But 10" and smaller, like a super dreaded 8", are beast to do.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I was gonna try it with the Kenda K329 I bought recently. That tire sells for $31 on Amazon.

I found a local shop, Motorcycle Tire Center Las Vegas (https://www.mtclv.com/) where the out-the-door price was $49, including mounting and a new valve stem ($5?).

So I basically paid $13 to get the tire mounted. For me at least, $13 is a bargain, compared to fighting to mount it myself.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Heat is your friend. Set the wheel in direct sun for a half hour or so. Once you have broken the bead on both sides, it also helps to keep the tire sides pinched together in the center of the wheel. Use Irwin clamps if you have to. This will give you more tire to stretch over the wheel. I mount all my own tires. I do snow tires for my car as well. I just mounted a car tire on the rear of my Burgman. I became sick of paying $100 for a tire that wore out in less than two oil changes. The car tire cost $35 shipped to my door. It should last 25,000 miles give or take.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-01 2.45.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-01 2.45.21 PM.png (107.39 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

I too find tire changes too much of a PITA to DIY...and I consider DIY to be part of the fun of scooter ownership.

Little tires don't have the same flex and give as big tires to muscle the beads around the edges of the rims - ATV tires are the same way.

So I'm delighted to pay a shop whatever they want to put new tires on the rims, in the hope that they'll be around when I *really* need them.
Jasar13

Post by Jasar13 »

This may be a basic question but when do I need to change tires? I understand riding conditions vary. I have a Buddy 50 with 4700 miles on it. How long should they last?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If there are no visible cracks, and they hold pressure ride them just pass the wear indicator. I see tire replacements around 6,000 miles on the rear and over double that on the front. I'm cheap. My ideal indicator is 10 miles before it blows.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-02 7.41.17 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-02 7.41.17 AM.png (144.45 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I've never had any problems seating a Michelin or Heidenau tire on my Buddy. I use a small 6 gallon compressor meant for pneumatic nail guns to inflate the tire. I seem to go through rear tires really fast though. Fronts are just a little longer lasting. And no, I'm not fat. Lol. I probably get 6-7K miles per rear tire.

Anyway, that being said, I don't really like changing my own tires, but I've always been too cheap to take it to a professional. My current rear Heidenau tire is almost down to it's inner fabric so it's time. I'm getting older now so I may just take the wheel to my dealer and have them change it this time.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

babblefish wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:19 am I've never had any problems seating a Michelin or Heidenau tire on my Buddy. I use a small 6 gallon compressor meant for pneumatic nail guns to inflate the tire. I seem to go through rear tires really fast though. Fronts are just a little longer lasting. And no, I'm not fat. Lol. I probably get 6-7K miles per rear tire.
6-7k is good for a Buddy rear tire. I generally get 4-5k on the rear. The worst I've had was ~2,800, I think it wore out fast because it was 90+ degrees for most of those miles. The most miles was ~9k on the stock Cheng Shin C922.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I was self installing a tire on a Zuma and put a long belt around the middle of the tire to help seat the bead easier. I went to inflate the tire and I forgot the compressor was set to 200psi! The belt snapped and slapped me on my chubby tummy! So don't forget to check the psi your using to seat the bead and don't lean over the tire, do everything from the side! Good news was the bead seated, so I didn't have to try it again.