Buddy suddenly dies at stop signs and red lights!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

libwitch

Buddy suddenly dies at stop signs and red lights!

Post by libwitch »

Hello:
I have a Buddy 125, low milage. Had it on the battery charger for the last few days since we had a week of very cool and rainy weather. The tank is over half full.

Was riding it in to work this morning, and it was going along fine until I come to a full stop at a red light. I sit there for a second and the engine just turns off. I would call it a stall but there was not any stuttering or anything before hand - it just cut off so suddenly that I actually did a double check to make sure I didn't hit the kill switch. Nope. I turn the ignition off, turn it back on, and it starts right up.

Drive it another few miles, no problems. Until I hit another full stop and...engine dies again. Same thing.

When I get into work, I turn off the Buddy, let it sit for a few minutes, and try it - it turns back on without a problem.

The bike runs fine when its running, and it starts up just fine, it just apparently really HATES full stops, which would be very difficult to explain to LEO. Any clues as to what could be going on here?
eggsalad

Re: Buddy suddenly dies at stop signs and red lights!

Post by eggsalad »

I am not a mechanic, but that sounds like a plugged idle jet in the carburetor.
tenders

Post by tenders »

If the engine previously worked properly, I agree: rule out schmutz in the carb before doing anything else, including (and especially) adjusting the idle speed or idle mixture screws on the carb. THEY didn't get out of adjustment by themselves.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

If you're lucky you might be able to fix it with Seafoam, fresh gas, and a long ride. If you don't ride a lot it doesn't hurt to use Seafoam in every tank(and ethanol free gas if you can.)

Next step would be a carb cleaning.

If that doesn't work it might be the stator.

Also, what year is it and how many miles are on it?