rear brakes on 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

rear brakes on 125

Post by Mike1nw »

2008 Buddy 125
So you get at the rear brakes by removing that big honking nut? Then the drum comes off?
I have an online repair manual, can't find that detail.
Thanks
scootERIK

Re: rear brakes on 125

Post by scootERIK »

Yes, you removed the large nut in the center of the rear wheel. The drum part of the brake is built into the rim.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What's going on with your rear brakes? They usually last a long, long time. 15/16" for the nut. This is the just of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06FYujv_5yA
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I wouldn't promise, but I'm pretty sure the exhaust needs to come off to get there.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

eggsalad wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:31 am I wouldn't promise, but I'm pretty sure the exhaust needs to come off to get there.
I had to removed both wheels for new tires. Yes the exhaust has to be removed to access the rear wheel. You may need to replace the exhaust gasket before reinstalling the exhaust.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

The rear brakes are pretty bulletproof on these bikes. I've seen issues on new bikes where the rear brake hardware was not properly installed- you can easily knock the shoes loose when installing the rear wheel. Otherwise, aside from a quick inspection when servicing the rear wheel and tire, they're usually maintenance-free.

Yes, you need to remove the exhaust to get the rear wheel off and access the rear drum brake.