Is the Buddy 125 going extinct?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Is the Buddy 125 going extinct?

Post by ucandoit »

I notice that my local Buddy dealers have zero Buddy 125s in stock. The clerk said that the 170 and Buddy Kick, both fuel injected, are more popular and because we have such long winters here, MN, there are too many issues with a carb because of the bikes sitting. Honestly, this kind of baffles me. I thought the 125 was the most popular Genuine scooter. I really like my 125 and am having trouble believing it's unpopular. Are carb scooters on the way out? Is this a regional issue? I've noticed that the motorcycle shops seen to have a shortage of bikes. Anyone have any info. concerning all of this?
Dooglas

Re: Is the Buddy 125 going extinct?

Post by Dooglas »

I think that is just your dealer. My local dealer has a dozen 125s on the floor and one Kick. Now, I own a Kick and am a fan of FI scooters, but the substantially higher cost of the Kick and the 170i means to me that there will always be a market for the 125.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thanks for letting me know, Dooglas. I have a hard believing the 125 would just disappear. Haven't checked the cost difference between the FI scooters and the 125. Do you miss not having a kick start with the Buddy Kick?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Both, yes both, of my Genuine dealers only carry the Buddy 50 and the Rough House 50. Say they can get a a bigger Buddy if needed, you just test ride the 50cc and pretend its much faster. They also told me that the 50s outsell the M class (over 50cc/non-mopeds) by around 10 to 1. I loved my Buddy 125 because it was easy to service and super reliable. Only scooter I purchased twice. Side note: All our motorcycle dealerships have a shortage of stock since Covid.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Most every state requires a Motorcycle Endorsement to operate a >50cc scooter, as sc00ter said. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to get one.

Honestly, as soon as I find a ~$3500 electric scooter that matches the performance of my 150, I'll sell my Buddy. I believe that the scooter market is the first place that EV will win out over gas.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ucandoit wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:32 pmDo you miss not having a kick start with the Buddy Kick?
No, neither my Kick nor my Vespa GTS have a kick starter. I have never needed one in either case. Both scooters start easily and quickly with the electric starter. I take good care of the battery in each and replace when needed. Actually I currently have a Motobatt glass mat gel cell battery in both. Long lasting and quite reliable.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

eggsalad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:09 pm Most every state requires a Motorcycle Endorsement to operate a >50cc scooter, as sc00ter said. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to get one.
Unfortunately what you say is evidently true. A lot of people can't be bothered to take the MSF basic safety course to improve their riding skills. A mistake in my opinion - regardless of the size of your ride.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Dooglas wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:27 pm
eggsalad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:09 pm Most every state requires a Motorcycle Endorsement to operate a >50cc scooter, as sc00ter said. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to get one.
Unfortunately what you say is evidently true. A lot of people can't be bothered to take the MSF basic safety course to improve their riding skills. A mistake in my opinion - regardless of the size of your ride.
In Nevada, if you don't have a trusting friend with a motorcycle, the MSF is the easiest and most convenient way to get an M endorsement, and that's why I took it. I wouldn't say that taking the course did anything to improve my skills.

In fact, it almost frightened me into staying off 2 wheels forever.

The textbook contained 46 pages telling me how a motorcycle could seriously injure or kill me, then on page 47 it said, "Riding is fun!"
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Let me clarify. Here, in Virginia, any moped 49cc and below does not require a M endorsement. Just a Moped tag. So that is why they outsell the "over 49cc" scooters like the Buddy 125. No one wants to bother getting a M class. Now you would't believe how many people at my job were saying 'You could have got a motorcycle for the price you paid for that Liberty'. I bought a Piaggio Liberty 150 for my main transportation. I just like the ease of the scooter over a motorcycle. I still like motorcycles but will probably never buy another one. Well, maybe. But 49cc and under don't require a M class, insurance or a state inspection in Virginia. My Liberty requires all the previously listed.
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

A lot of bikers are obsessed by displacement. No matter what you ride. My wife and I ride a 900 cc Vulcan. Other bikers tell me all the time that I should get rid of that toy bike and get a 2000! Joni and I spent years riding thousands of miles all up and down the East Coast on a Suzuki 250 single. The truth is that bikes are fun, and even practical, no matter what the size. But, IMHO, a 150cc scooter is a whole lot more practical and fun that a 2000 cc lump!
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:18 pm But 49cc and under don't require a M class, insurance or a state inspection in Virginia.
No insurance and no rider training. What could possibly go wrong?
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

D&D in Pensacola has Genuines lined up, like Easter eggs, just about every color imaginable, the last time I dropped by 8)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

sc00ter wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:18 pm Let me clarify. Here, in Virginia, any moped 49cc and below does not require a M endorsement. Just a Moped tag. So that is why they outsell the "over 49cc" scooters like the Buddy 125. No one wants to bother getting a M class.
Same in Indiana, hence the poor reputation scooters get 'round here.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I think they're just all sold out!

The past year our local dealer couldn't keep them in stock. Even some folks that had them sitting around a bit, the shop bought them back and sold them for a little more.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

We moped owners, 49cc and below, used to not even need tags! Owning a moped was owning a Bearing Bond! And drivers with suspended licenses would just get a moped if they were facing jail time for their next offence. But the state put a stop to that and now you need to register mopeds with a tag that you have to renew every 1, 2 or 3 years depending on what you wanna pay. No property tax though. I was told one of the other reasons for the tag was so the red light cameras can now send you a ticket for running them. But either way I always had insurance on my mopeds just in case., even though it wasn't required.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

sc00ter wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:37 am We moped owners, 49cc and below, used to not even need tags! Owning a moped was owning a Bearing Bond! And drivers with suspended licenses would just get a moped if they were facing jail time for their next offence. But the state put a stop to that and now you need to register mopeds with a tag that you have to renew every 1, 2 or 3 years depending on what you wanna pay. No property tax though. I was told one of the other reasons for the tag was so the red light cameras can now send you a ticket for running them. But either way I always had insurance on my mopeds just in case., even though it wasn't required.
Same here in IN. 49cc requires a class B moped plate, up to 150 cc is a class A plate. Above that is full motorcycle.

On one hand, I hate big govt., but on the other hand, there's no way to ticket the illegal parking, reporting a collision, etc.

One thing I never understood is why my light, efficient, small motorcycle is more expense to plate than my big, heavy, gas guzzling pickup.
(I mean I know the answer is most age of vehicles, but it doesn't make sense from practical POV).