Wont start with rear brake lever

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

Wont start with rear brake lever

Post by BoulderBud »

Hello all y’all! My battery is a few years old though it starts pretty well with my front brake lever engaged. However, the rear brake lever doesn’t engage the starting mechanism. I remember reading years ago about how to fix this but can’t find the thread.

Thanks so much!
DeeDee

Re: Wont start with rear brake lever

Post by DeeDee »

Does it light up your brake light? There is a little switch in there. Sometimes (not very often) it can go bad.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

Or, it just sticks. Start by spraying some Teflon lubricant into the switch mechanism and working the switch a few times to see what happens.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Or WD40. Same thing happens on my Burgman every couple of years.
On the Burgman, you CAN disassemble the switch, with lots of care and patience, and clean it.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

This thread may me realize that in seven years not once did I hold the rear level when starting.

The starter is on the right side... so you squeeze the left lever, but not the lever right there with the starter button?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if its not sticking, the little sensor in there might have gone bad.

I lost both mine and the damn thing wouldn't start at all. $20 in parts but eternal anguish.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

The wiring is pretty simple, so it wouldn't be hard to bypass that switch.... might require a diode.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thanks to all of you for the advice. The brake light comes on when the left lever is 1/2 pulled down and then goes off when I pull it down any further. Weird. The right lever works fine.

So, I’ll get back here in a few days when my new battery arrives from Amazon. Old one was original(six years old) and now my buddy doesn’t even kick over using the right brake lever.

I love this forum. People are so nice! And care about helping others(I do what little I can too). So, thank you so much!
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Yesterday I installed a new battery and it appears my problem is solved. Starts super quickly on both brake levers. Electronics are a mystery to me but I guess the old battery was causing the symptoms. So, back in the saddle and out of my cage(1996 Jimmy). FYI- I bought the same battery that last six years for me, a Bike Master-TruGel MG7A-BS. $60 Amazon. The instructions say to keep it as fully charged as possible, to recharge it if I don’t ride sufficient distances to self charge it. I presume that means with my trickle charger every 3 months or so.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

It's amazing how many issues like this are solved by installing a fresh battery. The reason is pretty simple when you think about it- switches and contacts get a little dirty over time, and more voltage and amperage (wattage, power, whatever you want to call it) can create a circuit where a weaker battery wouldn't. This is really common on starters which are about to fail as well.

I'd definitely address your brake switch, it's likely to not get any better. They're really cheap and integrated into your brake handle. Or, conversely, just use the other brake and chalk it up to a level of anti-theft :-) Happy scooting in Boulder! Try not to die- I don't find the town particularly scooter-friendly.