Helmets for Scooters and the Phoenix heat.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

Helmets for Scooters and the Phoenix heat.

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

So, I asked this question on Reddit and maybe even somewhere else but I'll try it here even though its not really a "Buddy" question per se. I did just buy a 2021 Turquoise Buddy KICK 125cc scooter earlier this month, so everything I have to ask is with me sitting on this scooter. I'm new to scooters as a full fledged aging hipster grownup and this time around I'm going to do it in a helmet. I've already been counseled that facial road rash is just as painful at 55mph an hour on a scooter as it is on a motorcycle so I shouldn't feel stupid wearing a full faced helmet. It's just a bit of an investment and the skull cap brain bucket I was going to get not only looks a better bet in the Phoenix heat, its a whole hell of a lot cheaper. Dont get me wrong, Id lay out the dough to save me pretty pretty face, but if I cooked said pretty pretty face on top of looking like a complete dork ready for the Isle of Man on what would look like a tricycle in comparison, then what am I doing exactly? So, I guess this is 2 questions. Do you wear a full faced helmet or Modular on your scoot? and Second but no freaking way least, what is the best full faced or modular for the 122 degree Arizona heat? So I lay the whole thing out there, this will actually be for my primary mode of transportation on 5 miles back and forth from my Dialysis clinic. So, while its not a forever long ride, it is in The Valley of the Sun and I really DO NOT need to be any hotter than most, if that makes sense. I only even mention it so people understand that while the heat aint gonna kill me, especially on the way home I'll REALLY need a WELL VENTILATED full faced or modular helmet. Thanks to anyone who has any advice in the arena of hot weather scooter tripping in a big safe helmets or any other safety attire for that matter.
Clydeo

Re: Helmets for Scooters and the Phoenix heat.

Post by Clydeo »

Yea, a full face helmet provides the most protection in the case of an accident. I always wear one.
But wearing one in 122 degree heat is also risky. Heat stroke is a real possibility, especially as you have underlying health issues.
In the end it comes down to a threat assessment. How much traffic is there? How are the roads? How fast are you traveling? How do you deal with the heat?
If I were you, I would move to someplace that was actually cooler than Hell. Or book my appointments for when the sun had gone down. But only you can decide how much protection you need versus how much cooling you require.
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I have a Burgman 400 and a 50cc Yamaha C3. In the dead heat of summer I will often wear a bicycle helmet on my C3. I wear a full face on my Burgman all the time. Watch the revzilla videos on head shape and selecting a helmet. Getting the correct helmet for your head shape is more important than getting the right size. I shelled out $700 for a full face Arai because of the air flow. This is what I wear during the dog days of summer on my burgman. I couldn't imagine riding around Phoenix in July on a 125 wearing a full face helmet. Take your time, look for correct head shape, size and maximum air flow. I would be comfortable with a 3/4 with moveable face shield on a 125. Others will tell you something else.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Yeah, i appreciate your thoughts on it. Its an immovable appointment fixed in stone at 10:05am and I'm out the door by 3:30pm and into the midday sun. Being not a mad dog means ill need some ventilation in my helmet. You got any thoughts on that. Is it all gimmick and they all pretty much do the same or does it matter that you can control the vents? Or what about liners? I've been told to make sure they're removable, but are there any out there that are better than another? Lastly, have you ever tried the modular helmets and is there any value to them? Im sure I sound like a kid in a toy store pointing at everything I see and asking questions. Its just that I agonized over getting the best scooter for me and my needs and when the Buddy Kick ticked off all my boxes rung all my bells I felt I had the means of this little trip for medical purposes down and then I remembered shit, it was about to be hotter than hell here (only my 2nd year here) and my dreams of being independent enough at least for this stupid little trip are starting to melt away. Anyways, thanks for answering if you can. Ill listen to any tip to stay cool in the heat no matter how absurd so long as there is a dim hope it might work.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Don't worry about other people opinion - it's your pretty little face. Personally, I would never ride without a FF - only being able to drink through a straw for three weeks doesn't sound cool. Studies have shown that most head impacts occur around the chin.

Web Bike World, Revzilla and other sites give good helmet reviews and take note of ventilation. There's lots, and lots of riders in the SW that always wear a FF helmet.

For me, most of my city riding is done with the visor up.

Modular helmets are good, but there's added cost and weight. Personally, I love my Arai FF, but I know not everyone is comfortable with the cost of one. If you can find a good store nearby, take time and try them on; don't settle for a helmet that doesn't fit.

I'd also invest in a decent mesh jacket; clothing easily shreds even at 30 mph.

There's also plenty of wraps and things for your neck that do a decent job keeping you cool - hopefully someone in a climate warmer than me chimes in. Maybe check Revzilla for that, too.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

First step is to try some helmets on and see what brands fit your head.

For short trips under 10 miles most helmets with decent venting should be ok(unless you get stuck in stop and go traffic for a long time.) The most important thing will be bring it inside with you so it is cool when you put it on. Any helmet left out side on a hot day is going to be miserable to wear. If you really want to cool it down you can stick it in the freezer or in front of the air conditioner before you leave.

That being said I use an Icon Alliance and it very well ventilated, but it fits long oval shaped heads so it won't work for everyone.

Another trick(if you don't care how your hair looks) is too splash some water in your helmet before you put it on.

Also, I am a big fan of wearing a wet neck gator. It really helps to keep your head cool on hot days. I wear a neck gator every time I ride to keep the sun off of my neck, plus it is warmer in cool weather and can be used wet to cool you down on hot days.

*But I live in Wisconsin where it only gets up to 90-100 degrees, but with 100% humidity. I often do 100+ mile days in those temperatures wearing a full face helmet, a motorcycle jacket(not mesh,) non-perforated leather gloves, and blue jeans. The most uncomfortable experience I ever had was getting stuck in stop and go traffic in the northern suburbs of Chicago on a 90+ degree day. My feet were on fire from touching the ground at the stoplights.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Sorry, I park my scooter as soon as the thermometer hits 95. This is why I have a truck with a/c.

But one bit of advice is to buy a white helmet, whatever you get. Black, especially matte black, is a horrible choice.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I only wear a full face helmet in cold weather. I never tried a full face helmet when I lived in the East Valley.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I wear a helmet with face protection in all weather. The one I have found to be the coolest and least claustrophobic among the many choices is one with a chin guard. This opens up the face cutout. Allows more air through the helmet. And allows good visibility. My choice is one of the Nolans such as the N41, N43e, or N44. They are durable and well made, as well as being well ventilated.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

White or silver helmets reflect at least some heat. And are more visible.

I would like to buy a reflective silver one next.

As far as Phoenix, a tip of the helmet to you, I've been there in the summer :bleh: Was afraid that the tires would melt onto the pavement. Same for Florida now.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Dont worry. In Phoenix, the pavement will melt before your tire. It sounds like you are driving on on a wet road when the asphalt melts.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI