Buddy 50 leak oil

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BennyBen

Buddy 50 leak oil

Post by BennyBen »

Hi guys,
When I took out my scooter after winter I was a large oil engine patch on the floor. My little 50cc is sleeping in my shed for the winter. Last year I have seen little drips of oil but nothing too bad. But not it is constant. My scooter is a 2008 and almost 12400miles. I was thinking getting some break cleaner to clean under the scooter and try to see where it is coming from. Based from your experiences, do think it is the gaskets or some bolts and nuts that must be tighten.

Thanks
Clydeo

Re: Buddy 50 leak oil

Post by Clydeo »

I am no mechanic, but I have been told that one of the main causes of oil spills on the 50s is the over filling of the gear oil.
TBH, other than that and the 2 stroke oil reservoir, I can’t think of any other place that it could be leaking from.
Well, except for that time that a bottle of 2 stroke oil opened up in my pet carrier and spilled out all over everything, but the less said about that the better!
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

I've cleaned almost everything underneath the seat with WD40 to try see where the drip was coming from. It wasn't from the oil reservoir nor a small tube there. There is a small electrical cable between the oil reservoir and the plastic body. I've follow the cable, when I realised it was going toward the engine, I've stopped the investigation. Not having a garage limit the kind of repairs I can do and limit the time I can do repairs on my scooter.
My scooter is a my trusty repair shop now. I have a strong feeling it is a gasket of some sort.

thank you everyone for reading me.
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

The inside got cleaned very well. Every house ring got tighten. And finally we have found where the leak is coming from. It is the Oil sensor. Now I'm trying hard to find a replacement part. It is not easy to find. I'll keep you posted.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That's a fairly common problem with 2 stroke scooters. I had it happen on a Zuma and an Elite SR50. Both times, I cleaned off the rubber plug with alcohol and plenty of paper towles. Wrapped black electrical tape round the plug a couple of times, lightly coated the plug with RTV silicone and shoved back in. The rubber stopper shrinks and allows oil to seep from where it meets the tank. Overfilling the tank doesn't help.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:38 pm That's a fairly common problem with 2 stroke scooters. I had it happen on a Zuma and an Elite SR50. Both times, I cleaned off the rubber plug with alcohol and plenty of paper towles. Wrapped black electrical tape round the plug a couple of times, lightly coated the plug with RTV silicone and shoved back in. The rubber stopper shrinks and allows oil to seep from where it meets the tank. Overfilling the tank doesn't help.
This is a great tip. Thanks if I can't find replacement I'll do this.
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

Ordered a new part. I was lucky enough that they had one left. I will keep the old one I will know how to fix it if required.

thanks