2021 Buddy Kick 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

2021 Buddy Kick 125

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

So, I just purchased my first new scooter in over 35 years and it is a GSC Buddy Kick 125. I love it. I don't even have my endorsement or a helmet and I haven't even been up over 35mph and I still love it. However, I'm just a bit scared about there being something wrong. With no endorsement or helmet I've limited my riding to my gated neighborhood where the fastest posted speed is 20mph and that's about where I've kept it. So, I'm riding pretty slow. And, I've noticed that it has a hard time going slow. What I mean is this: as I slow it down there is a pretty big lurch as it gears down and it takes a while to happen. 3-5 seconds at least. It's not so jolting that it would stop me from my love affair at all. It only bothers me a little because I worry that there may be something wrong. My last scooters were a few Spree's an Elite and a Gyro, quite some time ago. None over 80cc most 50cc. Im assuming all using some sort of CVT or whatever Honda called it. I do not remember these bikes having this going slow issue. I could be wrong, it was 35 years ago, but as its so new and I love it so much, I just don't want to be driving it on a wonky transmission when there is something I should be doing or having done to it. Again, have not even got 30 miles on it and haven't had it at sustained speeds above 35mph yet. Goes like this. I ease up on the throttle to the very least I can give it, it stays at rpms above 3700 for a few seconds there's the slight lurch as the it finds its right gearing, the bike slows more and the rpms drop, soon enough and I've got to put my feet down in a controlled stop. Dealer is in Prescott, I'm in Phoenix. Id hate to haul it all the way up the hill only for exactly nothing wrong. Anyone driving a newer Buddy Kick and no what I'm talking about? I'm sure there's nothing wrong, right?
tenders

Re: 2021 Buddy Kick 125

Post by tenders »

I’m pretty sure what you’re describing is called “engine braking,” and it’s normal. Our old Sprees were very simple devices with no varying gear ratios in the transmission - just an engine that the clutch would connect to the rear wheel over a certain RPM. As we slowed down, the engine would slow very smoothly until the clutch disengaged at a very low RPM, and the engine could idle without moving the rear wheel.

On our CVTs, as you ease off the throttle and the engine slows down, the effective gear the transmission is in changes, and the engine RPMs are affected by the stored energy in the scoot’s forward motion even with no throttle. This transition from the engine controlling the effective gear to the momentum affecting it is what causes the lurch.

The way to reduce or avoid the lurch is to throttle down slowly rather than just snapping the throttle closed. I actually can’t remember if I do this, or if I just have gotten used to it and don’t notice the lurch any more. But either way you’re going to love that Kick once you get properly licensed!
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Please wear a helmet, regardless of how/where you ride.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

An endorsement is more than a piece of paper making you legal. It is evidence that you possess the bare minum knowledge in order to operate a powered two wheel vehicle in your state. It doesn't guarantee that you will come home in one piece. Invest in a two day MSF safety course, what you learn just may save your life.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Thanks guys for the input. That explanation of why my problem was no problems at all was excellent, thanks man. I'd say that it both is no longer so pronounced and I have certainly gotten to know the scoot and how to ride it. I'm sure the belt stretches as the weights finely got a chance do what it do so well. It's got a quickness to it I cant get over how much fun it is just to run errands. Even in this heat. Got both my helmet and my endorsement finely and have ventured out and into the world of northwest Phoenix.

Now, I have to get a universal windscreen on it. Unfortunately the one for the KICK is too short for my needs. Had to get one that's got some height to it for a transponder sticker. Bought it from Scootrerworks. They say it is a universal and that it should fit no prob so. Think I'll post a question about it here for some input. Dont see about. Universal only the Cuppini. Looks like they're the same but WTF do I know. LOL.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Ipso_no_facto wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 pmGot both my helmet and my endorsement finally and have ventured out and into the world of northwest Phoenix.
Glad to hear you are making progress. Did you get the endorsement by taking a DMV test or by taking the MSF Basic course? I do agree with what DeeDee said about the course. It will make you a better and safer rider. And safer is good.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

You can change out the clutch springs for a much stiffer set. That will effective disengage the engine at a higher RPM, and let you rev it up a bit more at a stop before it engages (hence it being considered a performance part).
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Dooglas wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm
Ipso_no_facto wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 pmGot both my helmet and my endorsement finally and have ventured out and into the world of northwest Phoenix.
Glad to hear you are making progress. Did you get the endorsement by taking a DMV test or by taking the MSF Basic course? I do agree with what DeeDee said about the course. It will make you a better and safer rider. And safer is good.
I did take the MSF and though i agree that it is worthwhile and I am a better rider because of it than I would be if I had just figured out a way to get it done at the DMV, I did find it lacking as a true Motorcycle Safety course. I was on a scooter and I cant tell you how many times I was told to just pretend I had a clutch. But even those on cycles never went faster than 25 miles an hour or got out of 2nd gear. We definitely got some basics and safety skills, but for almost $400, there should have been more is all. I saw it as really just an opportunity to test because, trying to get one of the few actual DMV locations to schedule a test is all but impossible. Technically I should've been able to just take a test with the state of Arizona, but that's not what happens.