Buddy 50 side car

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clydeo

Buddy 50 side car

Post by Clydeo »

A company called Keltic evidently makes sidecars for Buddy 50s (and a bunch of other bikes). A sidecar on a 50cc bike sounds rather ridiculous. Has anyone here actually tried, or even seen, such a beast?
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
eggsalad

Re: Buddy 50 side car

Post by eggsalad »

I looked at their website and watched the Buddy installation video. Wow, is that ill-conceived! I don't even know where to start. A 50cc scooter can barely get out of its own way with a single rider. The Buddy installation appears to use the centerstand mounting points, but it places a torsional load on them, something they certainly weren't designed to handle! The wheel/hub/tire looks like it's from the front of a small riding mower. It might possibly be road-legal, but I suppose it doesn't matter, since you wouldn't achieve any sort of speed with this rig. I'm frightened, very frightened.
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. I can’t even imagine putting one on a 125 or 170! The light weight, short wheel base, and rather sparse frame just don’t bode well.
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I agree with the skepticism. I have also seen photos of a hack mounted on a Buddy 125. Again, doesn't have the power or suspension for that job. I have owned a Stella 2T 150 with a Rocket sidecar, and a Vespa GTS with a Texas sidecar. The Stella really didn't have the power for the job either. You could ride it in a Saturday afternoon parade with a dog in the hack, but not much beyond that. The GTS was getting closer to real sidecar capability, but the suspension still had some issues. And, of course, riding a scooter with a hack is a whole different experience than a two-wheeler.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)