OT Taiwanese SMAX

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

OT Taiwanese SMAX

Post by wheelbender6 »

That is what they are calling the Kymco KRV.
It is slated for dealers in the Philippines. No info if we will get it in the states.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhtpHr ... e=youtu.be
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Re: OT Taiwanese SMAX

Post by babblefish »

Nice looking scoot but I doubt that we'll see it in the States. If it don't look like an old Vespa or Lambretta then it doesn't stand a chance. The majority of modern scoots don't make it here in the land of scooter dark ages. That being said, I see my fair share of modern scooters (those that are available anyway) here in San Francisco because we're a pretty big melting pot of people from other parts of the world so the demand is there. Unfortunately, SF is just one city and not enough for companies to want to import the good stuff.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Onboard computer that stops power going to the rear wheel in case it senses too much movement there, ignition that starts without a key.... How do you fix this thing when it won't start one morning? Give me a Buddy 125 any day of the week.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Good point. There are many days that I would have not been able to ride if my Buddy didn't have a kick starter.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Pending ride reports, based on specs, I want one. Traction control is switchable but I agree about keyless ignition, maybe a theft deterrent though. I'd probably be satisfied with my Buddy 125 (BBK 161) if top speed was 60+ as many claim but mine tops out at <55 GPS (as opposed to the imaginary "indicated" top of of 60+). Two wheel abs would be welcome also.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

SMAX doesn't compare well with KRV on paper. 30# heavier, coup!e HP weaker, no ABS and some other stuff.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

PNWbuddy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:12 pm Pending ride reports, based on specs, I want one. Traction control is switchable but I agree about keyless ignition, maybe a theft deterrent though. I'd probably be satisfied with my Buddy 125 (BBK 161) if top speed was 60+ as many claim but mine tops out at <55 GPS (as opposed to the imaginary "indicated" top of of 60+). Two wheel abs would be welcome also.
I guess 25cc makes a big difference because my Buddy 150 can do a little over 65 mph, GPS. This is only on level ground though. On declines I can just about hit 70 but don't like to because it's scary on 10" wheels plus my front tire (Michelin S1) is only rated for 60 mph.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

babblefish wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:49 pm
I guess 25cc makes a big difference because my Buddy 150 can do a little over 65 mph, GPS. This is only on level ground though. On declines I can just about hit 70 but don't like to because it's scary on 10" wheels plus my front tire (Michelin S1) is only rated for 60 mph.
Buddy 150 has 11cc less than my 125 with the 161BBK. The difference appears to be lower gearing of the 125 vs 150 or 170i. I ordered taller gearing from a seller who advertised it to fit on the Buddy but it didn't and I wasn't able to easily source 150/170i gears. With the BBK acceleration is excellent but top speed is limited by rpm. It will pull wheelies on pavement. FWIW I tested top speed with the BBK along with stock carb and manifold, with 26mm carb and stock manifold (tried different jets with both carbs), with stock head and with NCY big valve head, with 26mm carb and larger NCY 26mm manifold, with stock air box/filter, with snorkel removed, with airbox divider removed, with additional holes in plastic of air filter (holes covered by UNI filter foam sheet). Also tried new stock wt rollers as well as 13g Dr Pulley sliders, with old belt (still in spec) and new belt. With and without windscreen. Even tried a "performance" unrestricted CDI. Virtually no difference with any of these interventions. I've given up on breaking 55mph gps with it and I've read of others who top speed experience with the stock 125 as well as with the 161 BBK was the similar to mine. I'm running Shinko SR425 tires, 130/70 in the rear, 110/80 in the front at 30psi.

If anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area is looking for a quick city scooter, cheap, let me know.
20200724_135745.jpg
20200724_105220.jpg
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Oh, no increased top speed on downhill runs either. You can see from my pictures the terrain I ride in, plenty of steep descents. I might do an oil change and go from 15w-40 to 5w-40 synthetic to see if that makes a difference.
Jdallen1

Post by Jdallen1 »

Does anyone know where to find compatible gearing for the buddy 125? I’ve done the BBK and NCY head, and would like to be able to run lower rpms when cruising along a 45-50mph road. Any suggestions?

I too bought an NCY pre-pressed set, but the driveshaft on the Buddy is bigger around than the center of the gear for standard gy6’a apparently, and so after tearing it down and figuring this out, I’m hoping this isn’t a unicorn driveshaft in the Buddy /PGOs.

Thanks!
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Jdallen1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm Does anyone know where to find compatible gearing for the buddy 125? I’ve done the BBK and NCY head, and would like to be able to run lower rpms when cruising along a 45-50mph road. Any suggestions?

I too bought an NCY pre-pressed set, but the driveshaft on the Buddy is bigger around than the center of the gear for standard gy6’a apparently, and so after tearing it down and figuring this out, I’m hoping this isn’t a unicorn driveshaft in the Buddy /PGOs.

Thanks!
Have you tried going to a heavier set of rollers? A set of 12 or maybe even 12.5 gram rollers should drop your cruising rpms a little and is a fairly cheap and easy mod. I ran a set of 12 gram rollers on my stock 125 and it was great for 30-50 mph cruising and it helped my MPGs a little. Since my scooter was stock it hurt my acceleration and I didn't like that.

As for the gears people on here have done it so hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction. But I would think that you should be able to at least find a set of used Buddy 150 gears.
Jdallen1

Post by Jdallen1 »

scootERIK wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 am
Jdallen1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm Does anyone know where to find compatible gearing for the buddy 125? I’ve done the BBK and NCY head, and would like to be able to run lower rpms when cruising along a 45-50mph road. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Have you tried going to a heavier set of rollers? A set of 12 or maybe even 12.5 gram rollers should drop your cruising rpms a little and is a fairly cheap and easy mod. I ran a set of 12 gram rollers on my stock 125 and it was great for 30-50 mph cruising and it helped my MPGs a little. Since my scooter was stock it hurt my acceleration and I didn't like that.

As for the gears people on here have done it so hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction. But I would think that you should be able to at least find a set of used Buddy 150 gears.
That’s a good suggestion, Thanks.

I upgraded to 11.5G dr pulley sliders some years ago and haven’t investigated different weights since my power upgrades. Thinking of upgrading the variator as well, but I’d really love to find the final drive gears too. My google skills aren’t what they used to be...
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Thanks!
I hadn't seen this post as I don't frequent this forum often. You might not be checking it either but if you do please post up what difference you found with the roller/variator changes you made. I never saw any difference in top speed with various rollers/sliders or any other alteration. Someone a few years ago posted that he put Buddy 170i gears in his Buddy 125/161 and that made a difference but he ended up taking them out and tried to sell them on this forum - he did not post up tooth count differences. There is very little information regarding differences, if any, in the 170i vs 125 gear. Scooter Lounge has a parts diagram that indicates the 150 and 125 have the same gears/part numbers. Diagrams for the 170 that I found don't list the tooth counts. I found a parted out '12 170 on ebay and ordered the final drive as well as the idler reduction gears so I'll find out if there really is any difference. The product images didn't completely show the entire final drive gear or idler reduction gear so I couldn't count the teeth and I'll find out the hard way when they arrive. I sort of expect that there is no difference. The seller does accept returns so they will go back if they are the same.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Correction, there is a difference between 170i gearing vs 125/150. the "driving shaft" gear on the 170 is 16t vs 15t on the 125/150. idle gear on the 170 is 40/13t vs 42/13 on the 125/150. Surprisingly the final drive gear is 43t on the 170 vs 42t on the 125/150. This 170i gear tooth count info was found in the service manual while the tooth count for the 125/150 was on the Scooter Lounge transmission parts list diagram.