A mid-50MPH Buddy 50 build...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Footbag

A mid-50MPH Buddy 50 build...

Post by Footbag »

I decided to post some info on my Buddy 50 for those who are doing planning something similar. I relied on a lot of posts here, but I plan on putting a lot of info in this thread for others. All speeds cited below will be GPS confirmed on slight uphill 2.5% grade.

First, the backstory... Last year, my best friend and his wife stumbled across some 50cc Tao Tao scooters. He ended up paying $500 for two barely used scooters. One had 29mi the other had 150mi. We had a great time riding around their neighborhood and my wife and I decided that we wanted to get a scooter. I started watching Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, hoping for a deal. It seemed like everything that popped up had some issue. Some didn't have titles, some had body panels missing, one had 65,000mi. My wife, on the other hand, called a bunch of Vespa dealers throughout the country. She spoke to one dealer who suggested Genuine, and she kind of focused in on those. Since the better scooter dealers don't tend to ship, and we don't have any near us; we both hit a wall. In about August, I told her to go to the local Tao Tao dealer and make an offer on a 50cc. I figured we could at least ride something, and if we enjoyed it, we could look for a better scooter in the spring.

We got the Tao Tao home and had a lot of fun, but the big problem was our main road to get home is a long 35MPH uphill where people drive 50MPH+. Chugging up it at 25MPH isn't really safe or fun. So, I bought a BBK, a racing carb and tuned it up a bit. I had a ton of fun, but it was the first 4 stroke I've worked on. Besides a BBK, it didn't respond to tuning like 2-strokes tend to. The advantage was that parts are dirt cheap. The Tao Tao ended up hitting 41MPH after installing all the parts.

This spring, I started looking for a new scoot. I almost bought a Yamaha Zuma, but she wanted a Genuine Buddy. When I found out the Buddy was a 2 stroke, I was sold. So I found a dealer in Philly. About 2 hours away. With COVID, it wasn't so easy to buy. Lots of back and forth over E-mail. But eventually, we did the deal and went to pick it up. The dealer de-restricted it even before I asked, but I was happy with that. Saved me some time with a dremel.

We got it home and I GPSed it. It was hitting 37MPH on my road which is a slight uphill. I use this particular road for all my tests and jetting runs because the slight uphill keeps it under load for the entire run. From experience, a flat straight road gives me an extra 4-5MPH, but there aren't many straight flat roads around here. But, it still dropped to about 30MPH on my main road, so I decided to tune it up.

The goal was to maintain reliability. No race configuration. Keep it under 9000RPM to keep the stock crank happy. Use a cast iron cylinder for additional reliability. Maintain electric start, center stand, electric choke and not have to use premix.

The following is my current configuration after a few weeks of tuning...

Genuine Buddy 50
-Malossi 70CC Cast Iron Street Cylinder
-6.5g rollers from stock 7.5g
-Yasuni R exhaust
-Stock carb (92 main jet)
-Airbox (removed Snorkel)

Performance wise, I'm getting 51MPH @8750RPM on my jetting runs. 2.5% uphill grade with slight curves. This likely translates to 55MPH on a strait flat, but it could be higher. I have never had a chance to really let either scooter fully hit their max due to my local roads. Acceleration is improved big time.

My build flow went like this if anyone is incrementally upgrading... Again these are on a slight uphill 2.5% grade with curves, so top speed is likely 4-6MPH faster on flats.
Stock derestricted- 38MPH
Malossi 70CC Cylinder (upjetted to 85)- 43MPH
6.5g rollers - 44MPH
Yasuni R exhaust (had difficulty balancing jetting at throttle positions, 85 jet best for 1/4 to 1/2, 88 best for WOT) - 49MPH
Airbox Snorkel Removal (upjetted to 92) - 51MPH

I'm pretty happy with the performance as it is now. I may try firmer clutch springs and I think it could use a firmer contra spring because as I go over rolling hills, it's not so quick to accelerate when it's in the higher gears. I need it to downshift a little more readily. I do wonder how it would respond to a new transmission kit like the NCY. The stock variator seems like it could pickup some travel, and the ramps don't seem perfectly optimized. But as with anything, upgrading isn't certain to improve performance to your liking.

Overall, I had a lot of fun tuning it. If you can do the work yourself, I think it's well worth it. If you need to pay a shop to do it, or don't enjoy or feel comfortable doing it, then you're probably a candidate for a 125. A friend has a 125 buddy, and I'm planning on taking it over their house and seeing how they compare.
Last edited by Footbag on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skipper20

Re: A mid-50MPH Buddy 50 build...

Post by skipper20 »

Footbag wrote:I decided to post some info on my Buddy 50 for those who are doing planning something similar. I relied on a lot of posts here, but I plan on putting a lot of info in this thread for others.

First, the backstory... Last year, my best friend and his wife stumbled across some 50cc Tao Tao scooters. He ended up paying $500 for two barely used scooters. One had 29mi the other had 150mi. We had a great time riding around their neighborhood and my wife and I decided that we wanted to get a scooter. I started watching Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, hoping for a deal. It seemed like everything that popped up had some issue. Some didn't have titles, some had body panels missing, one had 65,000mi. My wife, on the other hand, called a bunch of Vespa dealers throughout the country. She spoke to one dealer who suggested Genuine, and she kind of focused in on those. Since the better scooter dealers don't tend to ship, and we don't have any near us; we both hit a wall. In about August, I told her to go to the local Tao Tao dealer and make an offer on a 50cc. I figured we could at least ride something, and if we enjoyed it, we could look for a better scooter in the spring.

We got the Tao Tao home and had a lot of fun, but the big problem was our main road to get home is a long 35MPH uphill where people drive 50MPH+. Chugging up it at 25MPH isn't really safe or fun. So, I bought a BBK, a racing carb and tuned it up a bit. I had a ton of fun, but it was the first 4 stroke I've worked on. Besides a BBK, it didn't respond to tuning like 2-strokes tend to. The advantage was that parts are dirt cheap. The Tao Tao ended up hitting 41MPH after installing all the parts.

This spring, I started looking for a new scoot. I almost bought a Yamaha Zuma, but she wanted a Genuine Buddy. When I found out the Buddy was a 2 stroke, I was sold. So I found a dealer in Philly. About 2 hours away. With COVID, it wasn't so easy to buy. Lots of back and forth over E-mail. But eventually, we did the deal and went to pick it up. The dealer de-restricted it even before I asked, but I was happy with that. Saved me some time with a dremel.

We got it home and I GPSed it. It was hitting 37MPH on my road which is a slight uphill. I use this particular road for all my tests and jetting runs because the slight uphill keeps it under load for the entire run. From experience, a flat strait road gives me an extra 4-5MPH, but there aren't many strait flat roads around here. But, it still dropped to about 30MPH on my main road, so I decided to tune it up.

The goal was to maintain reliability. No race configuration. Keep it under 9000RPM to keep the stock crank happy. Use a cast iron cylinder for additional reliability. Maintain electric start, center stand, electric choke and not have to use premix.

Genuine Buddy 50
-Yasuni R exhaust

Performance wise, I'm getting 51MPH @8750RPM on my jetting runs. 2.5% uphill grade with slight curves. This likely translates to 55MPH on a strait flat, but it could be higher. I have never had a chance to really let either scooter fully hit their max due to my local roads. Acceleration is improved big time.

My build flow went like this if anyone is incrementally upgrading... Again these are on a slight uphill 2.5% grade with curves, so top speed is likely 4-6MPH faster on flats.
6.5g rollers - 44MPH
Yasuni R exhaust (had difficulty balancing jetting at throttle positions, 85 jet best for 1/4 to 1/2, 88 best for WOT) - 49MPH

I'm pretty happy with the performance as it is now. I may try firmer clutch springs and I think it could use a firmer contra spring because as I go over rolling hills, it's not so quick to accelerate when it's in the higher gears. I need it to downshift a little more readily. I do wonder how it would respond to a new transmission kit like the NCY. The stock variator seems like it could pickup some travel, and the ramps don't seem perfectly optimized. But as with anything, upgrading isn't certain to improve performance to your liking.

Overall, I had a lot of fun tuning it. If you can do the work yourself, I think it's well worth it. If you need to pay a shop to do it, or don't enjoy or feel comfortable doing it, then you're probably a candidate for a 125. A friend has a 125 buddy, and I'm planning on taking it over their house and seeing how they compare.
Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a worthwhile project. Are your MPHs GPS confirmed or actual speedometer readings?

Bill in Seattle
'84 NN50 Honda Gyro red
'86 TG50 Honda Gyro S red
'09 Buddy Blackjack - surplus
Footbag

Re: A mid-50MPH Buddy 50 build...

Post by Footbag »

skipper20 wrote:
Footbag wrote:I decided to post some info on my Buddy 50 for those who are doing planning something similar. I relied on a lot of posts here, but I plan on putting a lot of info in this thread for others.

We got it home and I GPSed it. It was hitting 37MPH on my road which is a slight uphill. I use this particular road for all my tests and jetting runs because the slight uphill keeps it under load for the entire run. From experience, a flat strait road gives me an extra 4-5MPH, but there aren't many strait flat roads around here. But, it still dropped to about 30MPH on my main road, so I decided to tune it up.

Genuine Buddy 50
-Yasuni R exhaust

6.5g rollers - 44MPH

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a worthwhile project. Are your MPHs GPS confirmed or actual speedometer readings?

Bill in Seattle
'84 NN50 Honda Gyro red
'86 TG50 Honda Gyro S red
'09 Buddy Blackjack - surplus
Every speed I cite is GPS confirmed. I use the Vidometer app to confirm both the speed and the altitude. I use the same 2.5% grade uphill for all of my testing and jetting runs. I don't count downhills or tuck. I try and be as conservative and consistent as possible.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

sound like a solid build...good job...i'd be interested in your comparison to the 125
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

I finally got to compare my modded 50cc to my friends 125cc Buddy. The 125 is mostly stock, but the owner changed the carb and he said it “picked it up� quite a bit.

So... Off the line, my Buddy will take it by a good amount. On the hills and at the top end, the 125 has the edge. I’m going to estimate that it has about 3MPH edge on my 50. We went on a very hilly ride and I definately felt the benefit of the 125 there. I think if I played with the rollers on the 125, I could pick up a good amount of performance, but I really wanted to compare it to a stock 125.

One noticeable and unexplainable difference was that the 125 felt a lot heavier. There’s only a 25lb difference, but it felt like a lot more. It kind of felt glued to the ground whereas mine felt slightly more agile. On curvy roads or in town, I’d rather have mine. For long strait highway runs, I’d rather have his.

He was surprised by the punchiness mine has, and I was impressed by the hillclimbing torque that his has. They really felt completely different. Very surprising for such a similar platform.

I can’t tell if its just 25lb weight difference. If it was mine, I’d probably open up the airbox and roller mod it. I think it would be easy and cheap to give it the punch mine has.

The difference could be the suspension. Mine is very stiff. I wish it absorbed more bumps. I didn’t feel many bumps at all with his. I prefer his suspension. I like not feeling the road. Our roads arent good, and either is my back. Lol.

He’s looking for a new scooter now. He may get a Buddy Kick. I can’t wait to try that out!
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

New Update:

I installed a 1000RPM contra spring in the clutch. I was having an issue where when I would go over a rolling hill or come out of a rolling turn, the CVT didn't downshift and acceleration wasn't so good.

Specifically, on my way home from work, there is a big uphill with stoplights and lots of traffic that leads to a 35mph zone on a pretty decent uphill. If I would come to a stop, I could accelerate perfectly fine right up the hill and to my turn. If I had to slow down, but not stop, then it wouldn't accelerate as well. Now, when I let off the throttle slightly, it drops into a more powerful gear and allows me to power right up hills.

I love the way it feels. It's like you immediately have a ton of power right there with no delay. Perfect for merging or getting out of trouble.

I asked my wife to take it for a spin and as she was pulling out of the driveway, I heard her go "woooo". It also happens to keep the acceleration in the 7000RPM range. My motor/pipe combo has max HP at 9250RPM from the stock 6500RPM. So if I wanted to increase acceleration, I could.

Now, because of this mid-high end acceleration, the takeoff feels a bit slow. I don't think it slowed down, I think it just feels that way because the mid end got so powerful. Now, I'm considering adding my clutch springs to bring the engagement from the stock 4500RPM to 6000RPM. I am actually a bit concerned it will be too fast on takeoff. I don't want to wheelie.

I also noticed the stock contra spring was very soft. The 1000RPM contra spring was considerably stronger.

The other thing I noticed is the stock variator, clutch and maybe belt isn't very well optimized. I don't get full outward/inward travel on either the clutch or variator face. Sharpie test on the variator leaves 2.5-4mm. This costs me low end acceleration and top speed. I'll bet it costs me about 5mph on the top end. That said, I'm not sure of a fix. A longer belt could help, but I'm not ready to go there yet. A new CVT could allow for considerable gains if it allows better belt travel. I need to do some testing to figure that out.
buddy burger

Post by buddy burger »

So!?
Did you bought a malossi multivar!?
Im ready to read season 2 of "buddy 50 mph build'��awesome job btw!!
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

buddy burger wrote:So!?
I ended up buying the NCY variator. It gave me an insane amount of hill climb speed. Basically, I can accelerate to 45mph indicated up very steep hills.

The NCY variator is also getting nearly full travel. It wasnt until recently I figured out what cause the slight loss of top end I was noticing. Temperature. On 90+ days, I wont set a speed record. On 70F days, the scoot flies. No matter what I did with jetting it was always the same, so I think it just likes cooler air.

I haven’t done much GPSing recently as I still can find any flat straits. But I’m certain I’ve hit 55mph and likely much more. I just dont personally count it until I have a GPS run on a confirmed flat.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Have you left the 3 small clutch springs alone? On my Yamaha, that is where I get the most bang off the line. Stock springs are 750. I put 1k in the 3 small springs, and add a stage6 soft for the contra spring. The stage6 is about 125rpm increase over stock. My 50cc didn't have enough grunt to make use of a 1000rpm spring. The engine would rev, but it didn't tranfer the power to the back wheel.

These are worth a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech-pulley-Fl ... Sw2jdfI~Lh

I did a short test comparing stock rollers, Dr. Pulley Sliders and these new Tech Pulley. GPS varified. Stock-38mph, original Dr. Pulley-41.7, tech pulley-47.5 mph.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 10.26.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 10.26.09 AM.png (76.44 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

DeeDee wrote:Have you left the 3 small clutch springs alone? On my Yamaha, that is where I get the most bang off the line. Stock springs are 750. I put 1k in the 3 small springs, and add a stage6 soft for the contra spring. The stage6 is about 125rpm increase over stock. My 50cc didn't have enough grunt to make use of a 1000rpm spring. The engine would rev, but it didn't tranfer the power to the back wheel.

These are worth a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech-pulley-Fl ... Sw2jdfI~Lh

I did a short test comparing stock rollers, Dr. Pulley Sliders and these new Tech Pulley. GPS varified. Stock-38mph, original Dr. Pulley-41.7, tech pulley-47.5 mph.
I have put in yellow (1500rpm) clutch springs, but they didnt change much from stock. I could do red, but the thing pulls so hard off the line, I dont really need it to improve. I don’t really want to wheely either intentionally or untintentionally.

Within a second of takeoff, I’m at 8250rpm and flying.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice job! Two strokes are so much fun to build!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

DeeDee wrote:These are worth a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech-pulley-Fl ... Sw2jdfI~Lh

Interesting. Were all the rollers/sliders the same weight?
The rollers in my Buddy 150 need replacing and thinking I might try a set of these, in an 18x14, 12gm of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech-pulley-Fl ... Sw3ktfMWpu
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Stock rollers are 6 X 6 gram. I usually go with 6-4 gram Dr. Pulley Sliders. I swapped them with 6 - 4gram tech pulley sliders for my test. I have a set I'm installing in my Burgman next week when I replace the belt.
buddy burger

Post by buddy burger »

Footbag wrote:
I ended up buying the NCY variator. It gave me an insane amount of hill climb speed. Basically, I can accelerate to 45mph indicated up very steep hills.

The NCY variator is also getting nearly full travel. It wasnt until recently I figured out what cause the slight loss of top end I was noticing. Temperature. On 90+ days, I wont set a speed record. On 70F days, the scoot flies. No matter what I did with jetting it was always the same, so I think it just likes cooler air.

I haven’t done much GPSing recently as I still can find any flat straits. But I’m certain I’ve hit 55mph and likely much more. I just dont personally count it until I have a GPS run on a confirmed flat.
Niiiice!!!!
If you ever want more top end speed aand are ready to sacrifice a bit of acccel ..
Look at polini hi speed variator!!!
Since your already a rocket!🤣�
Tink ill follow your step with a top perf black trophy....gonna get a lot of torque....gonna be perfect for city zippin! Tx for the update!!!!appreciate
jjeffrey

Post by jjeffrey »

Isn't it scary going that fast on the Buddy 50 though? Maybe it's the 10-inch wheels but it gets a little too-shaky-for-comfort around the 40mph area for me. You?
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

jjeffrey wrote:Isn't it scary going that fast on the Buddy 50 though? Maybe it's the 10-inch wheels but it gets a little too-shaky-for-comfort around the 40mph area for me. You?
It doesn't really feel so shaky. I feel more comfortable on it then my motorized bike going 35mph. The suspension is stiffer then I'd prefer. My Tao Tao feels more comfortable over bumps, but, a stiffer suspension gives you slightly more control. At around 55mph, the wind (and bugs)become more of a nuisance. And just like anything, you have to stay aware of the road. Always look ahead and look for potholes. I used to do a lot of cycling, so the fat tires are welcome.

They are designed to go pretty fast. Just because they are restricted doesn't mean the manufacturers don't build well enough to go faster then 38mph. People will always go downhill and there isn't much limit to the speed you could go on a significant decline. I tend to slow down on downhills and get up to speed on the uphills.

As I mentioned, I don't have many flat roads, so the tuning mostly gets me up to a true 45mph on an uphill. Just so I can keep up with traffic.

I wouldn't mind going slightly larger on the tires, but that's more for the gearing effect. It would get me slightly more speed at a lower RPM. But, I don't think a larger tire would fit with the tire cover.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

DeeDee wrote:Stock rollers are 6 X 6 gram. I usually go with 6-4 gram Dr. Pulley Sliders. I swapped them with 6 - 4gram tech pulley sliders for my test. I have a set I'm installing in my Burgman next week when I replace the belt.
As a heads up to others, I bought a set of the TechPulley rollers that were suppose to be 12gm and the box says 12gm but when weighed, they were 14gm. I weighed them individually and all six together then divided the total weight by 6. The rollers themselves don't have any markings on them.
Rather than go through the trouble of returning them, I'm going to just use them as-is or modify them to 12gm.
buddy burger

Post by buddy burger »

Footbag wrote:

yes cooler air carries more oxygen so your running a little leaner,thus the improve accel.im running a 80 jet when its cold and a 78 in summer time to compensate for the less oxy air in the summer.

got a technigas silent pro for mine and the change is drastic!!and looks like a stock pipe,i was hesitating between a top perf. black trophy for its low rev torque,and the malossi sport quality and more top end,since i ask a tuning tech in my region about those two.and also gonna put in a multivar,i was surprised to see they put 8.5 roller here in canada,im also gonna try the yellow contra spring,and mess around with clutch spring a bit

when i came back from air and fuel testing made a little run at 2 degree celsius.....and i can tell you its definetelya rocket compare to summer temperature!!felt like santa in is sleight lol

im not gonna remove the air box restricter as its there to create a venturi effect.did you had a hard time jetting it after removin it

thanks for the inspiration!!
buddy burger

Post by buddy burger »

babblefish wrote:
DeeDee wrote:Stock rollers are 6 X 6 gram. I usually go with 6-4 gram Dr. Pulley Sliders. I swapped them with 6 - 4gram tech pulley sliders for my test. I have a set I'm installing in my Burgman next week when I replace the belt.
As a heads up to others, I bought a set of the TechPulley rollers that were suppose to be 12gm and the box says 12gm but when weighed, they were 14gm. I weighed them individually and all six together then divided the total weight by 6. The rollers themselves don't have any markings on them.
Rather than go through the trouble of returning them, I'm going to just use them as-is or modify them to 12gm.
how do you plan of doin that!?
equality is critical here
Footbag

Re:

Post by Footbag »

buddy burger wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Footbag wrote:

yes cooler air carries more oxygen so your running a little leaner,thus the improve accel.im running a 80 jet when its cold and a 78 in summer time to compensate for the less oxy air in the summer.

got a technigas silent pro for mine and the change is drastic!!and looks like a stock pipe,i was hesitating between a top perf. black trophy for its low rev torque,and the malossi sport quality and more top end,since i ask a tuning tech in my region about those two.and also gonna put in a multivar,i was surprised to see they put 8.5 roller here in canada,im also gonna try the yellow contra spring,and mess around with clutch spring a bit

when i came back from air and fuel testing made a little run at 2 degree celsius.....and i can tell you its definetelya rocket compare to summer temperature!!felt like santa in is sleight lol

im not gonna remove the air box restricter as its there to create a venturi effect.did you had a hard time jetting it after removin it

thanks for the inspiration!!
Yes. The air restrictor/snorkel was very difficult to remove. I spent a couple of hours with a razor blade just breaking down the adhesive and just as I was about to give up, I got it loose.

With rollers, you can drill them to remove weight or you can add some aluminum foil to the centers to add weight.
PNWbuddy

Re:

Post by PNWbuddy »

babblefish wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:51 am
Did you try the techpulley rollers yet? If you did what are your impressions?
babblefish

Re: Re:

Post by babblefish »

PNWbuddy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm
babblefish wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:51 am
Did you try the techpulley rollers yet? If you did what are your impressions?
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this site for awhile.

No, I haven't had a chance to lighten the rollers to 12gm yet, although the vendor did refund my money and let me keep the rollers. He also said most of the ones in his inventory were miss-labelled too. I'll do it soon as I have a vacation coming up. With 19K miles on the engine, my poor Buddy's rollers probably need some attention.
Last edited by babblefish on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
babblefish

Re:

Post by babblefish »

buddy burger wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:59 am
babblefish wrote:
how do you plan of doin that!?
equality is critical here
I have plenty of drill bits, both Imperial and Metric, plus a good set of files and a drill press. I also have a digital scale that's accurate to 0.01gm. I think I have it covered. Besides that, when the rollers wear, do you really think they all wear evenly? I can assure you they do not and will eventually have vastly differing weights.