2,500 mile test to see how oil color changes with use.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootERIK

2,500 mile test to see how oil color changes with use.

Post by scootERIK »

I decided to do a little research project for the next ~1,500 miles to see how the oil in my Buddy 125 changes color. I will be taking a picture of the oil every 100 miles plus every 250 miles. I am correcting for the inaccuracy in the odometer since mine is off by about 10%. Also, these are not exact miles but they are pretty close.

Background info-
2009 Buddy 125 stock except for a 95 main jet in the carb and 11g rollers.
Engine has ~14,000 miles on it.
I didn't change the oil filter on this oil change.
Oil is Shell Rotella T4 15w-40
Running 87 octane gas
Riding is a mix of WOT as well as 35-45 mph cruising, not too much stop-n-go riding.
I added some oil at 2100 miles.
Most of these miles were done when it was 45 to 70 degrees.

900 actual miles equals 1000 miles on the odometer

Last edited by scootERIK on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 14 times in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm kinda curious myself, great idea, thanks for doing it.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I noticed that my oil was darkening sooner a few oil changes before the piston failed.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

GregsBuddy wrote:I noticed that my oil was darkening sooner a few oil changes before the piston failed.
Probably due to blow-by pass the rings from the combustion chamber. Good to know though. I'll have to keep an eye on my oil because I ride my Buddy a lot.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

My 2019 Buddy 125 is stock jetting. Doesn't seem to run lean at all though.

How does the #95 main jet work for you?

fried okra
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

fried okra wrote:My 2019 Buddy 125 is stock jetting. Doesn't seem to run lean at all though.

How does the #95 main jet work for you?

fried okra
My Buddies have always been a little bit on the lean side. Mine had a #92 originally so the #95 isn't really a big change. I did get a little more color on the spark plug so I think it helped. Just going by feel the #92 made a touch more power.

I believe my MPG went a little. When it's cold and I do a lot WOT it seems to really go down. I am at about 875 feet above sea level.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Babblefish. Agreed, I think combustion gasses leaking passed the rings was the issue with oil darkening. The new rings/piston/cylinder are breaking in well and I look forward to being able to ride the scoot' a bit faster soon. I can feel the extra power even with partial throttle during break in.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

750 miles in and it looks like the oil is starting to get a little darker.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The rings in my Buddy must be worn out because my oil is pretty black at less than 100 miles. Ah well, I've got a brand new BBK, A12 cam, and a ported and polished head sitting on the shelf looking for a home.
scootERIK

1000 miles in

Post by scootERIK »

When taking pictures of dirty oil lighting can make a big difference on color. Also, it is easier to see the color of the oil when the oil is cold because it sticks to the dipstick better.

At 1000 miles in the oil is still looking good.

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Your oil at 1000 miles looks like my oil at 50 miles. Lol.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

If you drained and looked at it now, it would seem quite dirty but would probably be fine.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

babblefish wrote:Your oil at 1000 miles looks like my oil at 50 miles. Lol.
When my first engine was dying it would get pretty black within 300 miles, and most of the time I was extra gentle on it, no full throttle and I kept it under 45 mph. I was changing the oil every 500-800 miles just trying to keep the engine alive.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Just got to 2,000 miles on the odometer(around 1,800 actual miles) and the oil is still looking pretty good. If I wasn't doing this test I would have changed the a few hundred miles ago.

Also, I haven't added any oil. I normally have to add a little oil every few hundred miles to keep it topped off. I guess that I might have been keeping the oil slightly overfilled. I might have to add a little depending how long I go before I change the oil

This is the oil at 2,000 miles on the odometer. The oil is cold so it stays on the dipstick.

BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

scootERIK wrote:Just got to 2,000 miles on the odometer(around 1,800 actual miles) and the oil is still looking pretty good. If I wasn't doing this test I would have changed the a few hundred miles ago.

Also, I haven't added any oil. I normally have to add a little oil every few hundred miles to keep it topped off. I guess that I might have been keeping the oil slightly overfilled. I might have to add a little depending how long I go before I change the oil

This is the oil at 2,000 miles on the odometer. The oil is cold so it stays on the dipstick.

Not much difference from your 1000 mile pix. Are you changing your oil now?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

BayStateScooterist wrote:Not much difference from your 1000 mile pix. Are you changing your oil now?
I am going to go at least another 200 miles. But I am thinking I might push it to 2,500 miles just to see what happens to the color. As of right now the oil looks like it is still in good condition(at least in my opinion.)

Normally I would change it due to the miles. Usually once I get over 1,200-1,500 miles on my oil I will change it if I am planning to do a long ride because I believe long fast rides are harder on oil than shorter slow rides. So far on this oil the longest day was about 100 miles. I probably change my oil more often than I need to but it's cheap and it can't hurt.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Up to 2,500 miles on the odometer. I did add some oil a few hundred miles ago because the oil level was getting a little low.

JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

babblefish wrote:Your oil at 1000 miles looks like my oil at 50 miles. Lol.
IKR!

I checked my oil after riding to work - quite dark already.

And I change every 100 miles, so... I guess this thread is interesting.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I just posted the 2,400 mile and 2,500 mile pictures. I am quite pleased with how the oil was looking throughout the test. The oil in my other engines used to turn black much sooner. Though it should be noted that these miles were done in really good conditions, cooler weather, shorter trips, lots of 35-45 mph, and in a very short period of time.

I might re-do this test again in August to see how hot weather and long rides affect the oil.
scootERIK

Re: 2,500 mile test to see how oil color changes with use.

Post by scootERIK »

I'm going to redo this test to see how much of a difference almost 25k more miles on the engine makes on oil color.

Updated background info-
2009 Buddy 125 stock except for a 95 main jet in the carb, 11g rollers, and NCY exhaust.
Engine has about 39,000 miles on it.
I didn't change the oil filter on this oil change.
Oil is Shell Rotella T4 15w-40, I have been adding STP Oil Treatment to my oil for the last 10k.
Running 87 octane gas
Riding is a mostly 25-50 mph, not too much stop-n-go riding. Very little WOT riding since the engine doesn't like that anymore. With most trips in the 20-100 mile range.
Most of these miles were done when it was 40 to 95 degrees.

scootERIK

Re: 2,500 mile test to see how oil color changes with use.

Post by scootERIK »

After 2,500 miles on the odometer I am surprised to see that the oil color is very similar to the color it was in the first test, it might have even been a little darker in the first test.
Dooglas

Re:

Post by Dooglas »

JettaKnight wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:52 am
I checked my oil after riding to work - quite dark already.

And I change every 100 miles, so...
Really?
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)