Truck Reese Hitch Carrier for Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PistolPete7390

Truck Reese Hitch Carrier for Buddy 125

Post by PistolPete7390 »

Was hoping for some input from the community.

Last year I transported my buddy 125 in the back of my truck when traveling and it was a pain as I had to rely on help because of the ramp system.

Does anyone on here use a Reese Hitch Carrier system and if so what is your opinion on them? Looking into getting one for my Tacoma so I can bring my Buddy wherever I go, but also load and offload by myself. Looks like a pretty good system and a lot faster and easier then putting it in the bed of my truck.

Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I've transported my Buddy 125 on a hitch mounted carrier once. The rig was set up on my friend's truck that he used all the time to transport his scooters. It worked perfectly fine. Very easy to use. Loaded the bike with one person.

Is there something special about the specific mount that you are referring to?
What exactly are you wondering about?
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

We moved Buddy 125 using a $70.00 Amazon carrier from Boulder to Denver on a Jeep CJ. We put a moving blanket between the spare tire and the scooter and used a Canyon Dancer type harness for the handle bars. Worked with no problem. I have a friend who totes her 125 all over the country using a tilt a rack mounted to the front of a Dodge Ram. Again no problem. You might want to remove the rubber floor mat while in transport. It is also a good idea to have less than 1/2 tank of gas.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

If like me, you plan on transporting your Buddy a lot, I would highly recommend getting the hitch mounted Versahaul Motorcycle Carrier. It's more expensive than your run of the mill hitch mounted carrier/rack, but it is very high quality and comes with it's own ramp. I use it to haul everything between my Buddy 125 and my wife's much heavier Vespa LX 150.

I also agree with not having more than a half tank of gas when using any hitch mounted carrier. I made the mistake of transporting my Buddy 125 with a full tank of gas and all of the sloshing caused the gas to get into the bike's Evap system. I had gas leaking from the Evap Canister and I could not get the bike started. It took me almost a half hour to get my bike running again.
Attachments
coloradoandlikes.jpg
coloradoandlikes.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Buddy weighs right in at 200 lbs. You don't need to spend $500 or more for a hitch carrier. Buy a handlerbar harness and some good cam straps. Save your money for something else:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Motorcyc ... A-&vxp=mtr
Attachments
Under $70.00
Under $70.00
carrier.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

You're talking about the Reese Motorcycle carrier, right?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PistolPete7390

Post by PistolPete7390 »

DeeDee wrote:Buddy weighs right in at 200 lbs. You don't need to spend $500 or more for a hitch carrier. Buy a handlerbar harness and some good cam straps. Save your money for something else:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Motorcyc ... A-&vxp=mtr

This is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you so much! Have read some great reviews online about something similar and seems easy enough to do with one person.
PistolPete7390

Post by PistolPete7390 »

giddyup98 wrote:If like me, you plan on transporting your Buddy a lot, I would highly recommend getting the hitch mounted Versahaul Motorcycle Carrier. It's more expensive than your run of the mill hitch mounted carrier/rack, but it is very high quality and comes with it's own ramp. I use it to haul everything between my Buddy 125 and my wife's much heavier Vespa LX 150.

I also agree with not having more than a half tank of gas when using any hitch mounted carrier. I made the mistake of transporting my Buddy 125 with a full tank of gas and all of the sloshing caused the gas to get into the bike's Evap system. I had gas leaking from the Evap Canister and I could not get the bike started. It took me almost a half hour to get my bike running again.
Awesome! Thank you!
PistolPete7390

Post by PistolPete7390 »

Do you guys think I'll have any issue with the center stand catching on mount system like the ones above? Simple fix, just thought I would ask.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I've only loaded a Buddy on a hitch carrier two times. The center stand was not an issue either time.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I have been using the mount from Harbor Freight for about 4 years now. The scooter goes with us on every camping excursion. We probably have transported the scooter 20,000 miles on that carrier and it hasn’t let us down once.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I've used a plain old hitch-mount cargo rack I bought for car camping road trips (with a fold up ramp to load it and ratchet straps to secure it) and not had a problem. I do need help loading and unloading it, but I'm 5'2... I've seen someone bigger and stronger load/unload by themselves.
Scooter Commuter