Any ideas about this electrical issue? Help!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

Any ideas about this electrical issue? Help!

Post by michelle_7728 »

Long time no post. :D

I have two 2009 Buddy 125s. Both have the BOB adaptor installed...and the BOB adapters have been installed for several years now. This may be completely unrelated, but I just wanted to mention it.

I didn't ride much last summer, and kept the scooters both on battery tenders when not being ridden. I noticed that if I rode the black Buddy anywhere, I would need to kickstart it to come home. That was true last summer, and is still happening.

The new symptom is that when I turn the ignition on the dead-lights come on solid (not flashing) which is how they should act. Additionally, the left front and left rear turn signals come on solid (not flashing) and the left blinker in the gauge comes on solid as well. None of these things should happen.

When I turn on my right blinker, all three right blinkers (and the blinker that shows in the gauge) flash. By "all three right blinkers", I mean the right dead-light and the front and rear right blinker. Additionally, the right dead-light alternates flashing with the blinker above it, which is also correct behaviour.

This entire time, the right dead-light, the left dead-light, and both left blinkers (so... four lights and the left gauge blinker) stay lit.

Then, when I turn on the hazard lights, everything lights up (both dead-lights, both front, both rear, and both gauge lights), but nothing flashes.

Apologies for the confusion of the above description. I have included below pictures of what is happening to clarify:

Any ideas? I was thinking flasher unit on the left might be bad, but that doesn't explain the right...or the hazard light switch...so confused...BOB Adapter? Not related??

Of course, this new symptom happened when someone came over to buy the scooter from me. :roll:
Attachments
Hazards switched on
Hazards switched on
black buddy-hazards.jpg (125.48 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Left blinker switched on
Left blinker switched on
black buddy-left.jpg (153.89 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Right blinker switched on
Right blinker switched on
black buddy-right.jpg (197.74 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Ignition just turned on
Ignition just turned on
black buddy-just on.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

start with a new battery
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I put in the fully charged battery from the other scooter (~13V)....and same lighting issues.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does the Buddy have a turn signal relay?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I would also get a volt meter and check your running volts to be sure that the stator is putting out 14+ volts while running. A red flag caught my attention when you stated that after a ride with a fully charged battery, you had to kick start it. That to me points out a bad battery or bad charging system. Once the battery and charging system check out OK, the next thing to do is remove the BOB and any other electrical add on and retest the system once it has been returned to stock. Rule out aftermarket failures.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Thanks for the input!

I'll be ordering a flasher to hopefully fix the lights, but I really hope the other issue is not something like the stator...isn't that something that usually fails on higher mileage scooters? I guess any part can fail at any time...it's just frustrating to be having this issue at under 3,000 miles...and of course when I want to sell it.... :?

Maybe there will be decent weather this weekend and I can spend more time looking at it...I'm so tired of all this rain and cooler weather!

Okay, whine over! :)
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

Michelle...what was your solution to the problem?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I know this is bad, but no solution, and not likely to be one...haven't even looked at it. I've just been too busy this summer doing other stuff. I suspect even though the bike will still run (I keep Seafoam in it and keep it on a battery tender), I will sell it at a really reduced rate just to be done with it.

I haven't ridden either bike at all this summer, and am not thinking I'm going to be getting back in to it....just no time.

Anyone live in the Seattle area and want a really good price on it? :wink:
HalholBerg6

Re: Any ideas about this electrical issue? Help!

Post by HalholBerg6 »

Have you checked the battery operation? The main part of the sensors is powered by a rechargeable battery, not as large as on a car, but it is quite enough for the correct operation of the starter, turn signals, stops, and signal. These current consumers are connected to the battery via a relay controller. They also receive current from the starter, so if the battery is dead or faulty, and you have removed it, the scooter can be operated without it. I learned a lot about electronics after installing LED strip https://www.vont.com/product/smart-stri ... ip-lights/ to your car. I advise you to contact an electrician.
Last edited by HalholBerg6 on Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Re: Any ideas about this electrical issue? Help!

Post by DeeDee »

How bored are you HalholBerg6? Pitching in to help a on a 5 year old thread.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3