Winterizing and Storage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Winterizing and Storage

Post by ericalm »

Snow if falling on some parts of the country and it'll soon be time for many to think about winter storage. Figured I'd post a link before we started getting dozens of questions!

Here's our FAQ on winterizing and storage:
viewtopic.php?p=138514#138514
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

I have a strange question to the members here... who are the year round road warriors? Also, how cold do you go before "it's time"?

My coldest ride to date has been at the end of January. I rode on a very cold night where the temps hit -10. I made sure the roads were very dry before I did it... but after 10 miles in the cold, I had to park it until it warmed up some.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Thanx Eric. I have changed my winter storage plans just this am. I was planning to store the scoot down valley, but Tocsik thought that starting the engine and running it from time to time would keep parts better moving.
So, now it is going to be only a mile away, not as ritzy of a neighborhood, but better for all involved.
I had forgotten about blocking the exhaust....big snow predicted this weekend.!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I'm in north Texas. This is my first year to scoot and I started in July when temps topped 105 degrees. My Stella is my daily commuter, although if push come to scoot, I can car pool with my wife. For the most part our winters are mild. So far the coldest ride I have gone on was in the low 40's. We'll see what my threshold for the cold will end up being.

Oh yeah she has her own space in the garage, too.

Scoot on!
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
TVB

Post by TVB »

spr0k3t wrote:I have a strange question to the members here... who are the year round road warriors? Also, how cold do you go before "it's time"?
I'll ride any time the roads are clear of snow and ice (pretty much regardless of temperature). The farthest I typically ride in freezing cold conditions is the 4-mile commute to work, so I keep warm well enough with simple bundling up (no heated gear).

But I don't consider myself a "year round" rider, usually parking and Tendering the scooter in early December and getting it out again in March. However last winter the scooter never sat for more than 2 or 3 weeks, because it wasn't much of a winter by Michigan standards. I'm still riding for the foreseeable future... but watching for frost and possible overnight-frozen puddles.
Last edited by TVB on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

spr0k3t wrote:I have a strange question to the members here... who are the year round road warriors? Also, how cold do you go before "it's time"?
I'm a year rounder but I live in IE where it dosn't snow too often. Although I did get snowed in for three days 2 years ago. In fall/winter it can get quite cold especially at night...
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

spr0k3t wrote:I have a strange question to the members here... who are the year round road warriors?
[raises hand]

I have no choice. I've been scooter-only for six years, now.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I go year round. The only thing that stops me from riding is solid water under my wheels. As bad as it gets, (February) there are always at least a couple of "nice" days during the week.

My commute to work is 2 miles but my routine (and obligations) typically have me riding 50 to 100 miles a week. My backup is my truck but I dont' put many miles on it (2007 and just turned 20K).

Last winter I was regularly driving across town at night 20 miles so I gave in and got a pair of heated gloves. Other than that, it's a parka coat (Armadillo) and muffler, ski gloves, scooter kilt, and thick socks. Oh, and full face helmet.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

I mostly ride year round. I spent some money on winter riding gear a couple seasons ago and it has been worth it. My rule is it has to be dry, and no lower than mid 20s. Part of the issue is when the ground starts to get cold due to extend cold spells, the tires don't heat up as much which potentially could cause traction issues.
MB #2349
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I ride year-round. It used to depend more on if the scooter was mechanically sound more than weather; with the Yager, it's just go-go-go. 8)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

For me winter prep is changing the oil, checking tire pressure and gearing up for the ride. The rainy season is over...It's prime time for us!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm year round but that's mostly a geographical convenience. I don't know what I'd do if I lived in regions where snow and sleet and sub-zero temps are frequent. My winterizing routine comprises swapping out my gear and wishing I could ride the mountain roads that close for the season. (First snow should be this week!)

While I'm far from a fair weather rider, at some point, it's just not enjoyable anymore. I don't want to resent my riding, and probably would at some point. I often ride in 40+ morning temps here. That's cold enough for me, thanks.

Also, 12 years in SoCal has really made me wimpy when it comes to high and low temps. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I think my coldest actual was 12 degrees. I rode anyway, @ 10 miles as well. I own 2 scoots and no car, though in a pinch the wife can drop me off.

Jan-early March were kinda evil, and if there is any road accumulation it's useless to try. That ended up being a total of @ 8 days last year.
TVB

Post by TVB »

One of the college kids who lives by me tried riding his scooter through the Michigan winter, even on days when it was actively snowing and the roads were covered. I could tell by the accumulating minor damage to his scooter that it wasn't working out so well, and eventually a car turned up in his parking place, and he uses that as much as the scooter in warm weather.
robby

Post by robby »

My coldest ride to date has been at the end of January. I rode on a very cold night where the temps hit -10. I made sure the roads were very dry before I did it... but after 10 miles in the cold, I had to park it until it warmed up some.
I ride year round here in MA. The hardest part of subfreezing temperatures is getting the engine warm enough that it doesn't stall out while idling. I often have to give a bit of throttle at red lights in the blistering cold. Having a garage helps in the morning but coming home I'm at the mercy of the elements.

Battery is another problem. I bought one of these lithium batteries at the advice of my local motorcycle shop, but it needs a kick at 35 degrees so I'm planning to return it. I might try their standard 4 or 8 cell model though because these things are awesomely small and light.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

I ride year-round, which is easier in Oklahoma than New England or the Canadian border states. I have a set of insulated coveralls to wear over my lined leather jacket. My commute is about 30 minutes. I've ridden down close to the single digits, but I haven't seen below 0 here yet. The biggest threat is black ice or freezing rain. My hands get cold, but I'm otherwise warm enough. It isn't an unpleasant ride for me.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Winter scooter use considerations:
Carb enricher switch.
More slippery engine oil (more boron element) such as Delo 400 LE.
Last edited by tortoise on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

12" of snow and scoot neatly tucked away; battery on tender ( on top of refrigerator), moth balls in cubbies, cloth in exhaust. seafoam in tank, heated garage ..... seperation anxiety HUGE. Yes, addiction. :cry: and we have only been a couple since June. 8)
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

phatch

Post by phatch »

TVB wrote:One of the college kids who lives by me tried riding his scooter through the Michigan winter, even on days when it was actively snowing and the roads were covered. I could tell by the accumulating minor damage to his scooter that it wasn't working out so well, and eventually a car turned up in his parking place, and he uses that as much as the scooter in warm weather.
50/50 car/scooter when it's WARM?? C'mon, SON!