transporting Golf Clubs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jcbud

transporting Golf Clubs

Post by jcbud »

I went from 8 wheel family to a 6 wheel family. My wife has the car, i use the scooter and I want to play golf. But I'm a little leary of riding with a golf carry bag slung to my back. I search the forum and I've found some expensive racks. What I'm looking for are tips on riding if anyone has done this or ideas on transporting them. I have to travel approx 6 miles.
thanks ahead of time for everyones input.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

most newer golf club bags have a really nice back pack style system which should make for an easy 6 mile commute. I say go for it. Your no wider than a vehicle.

Just make sure you have some sort of cover over the clubs (obviously). I would also suggest purchasing a minimal style/size bag with just your essentials. No need to commute with a pro sized bag :) that would be funny though.

You could strap it down to a rear rack. I bet you have already thought about these two but I think it would work just fine. I am unaware of a "rack" specifically for golf. Only one I have seen is for a surf board-but that even states that there is a speed limit so it doesn't throw you to the ground i guess.

I say go with it on your back-what i would do.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

plain and simple on both my zuma and stella i lay my golf bag on my rack and hold it down with chords

i do take and warp a chord by the heads of my clubs and then pull it back towards the bag to help hold them in

ill have to look thru my pics and see if i have a pic of my bag on the scoot
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

i do have a light Ogio carry/stand bag with a packback style straps and a cover. I don't have a rack on the old buddy (yet), but would leaning into turns be a concern? even with a cover the clubs tend to shift. but I am excited to try it, just change the oil and filter.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

not as long as the bag is straped down good
i have gone 50 miles one way to play a round and went thru roundabouts to get there
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I haven't tried hauling my golf clubs on the Buddy yet but I have good reason...

Yes it works by benandangie, on Flickr

This solution works too well. (for me.)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

The best solution is to buy a Stella with a sidecar! What better rationalization for another scooter purchase could you want! :wink:

Hopefully you can pick routes that avoid major traffic because that will definitely make any method easier. And having a good zip on cover for your bag is a must - don't want clubs falling out! If I was to try this, and I used to play way too much golf so I thought about this a ton when I first go my scooter, I'd give two methods a try,

Method 1) get a small walking bag, go minimal equipment-wise, and just sit the bag on the floorboard between your legs, secure it with a bungee. I might even try using a reduced club set (not my favorite thing to do but doing it can actually improve your course management skills), This might work better or worse depending on how tall you are and if you can see over the bag.

Method 2) again with a small bag with the X-straps, just make the bag as balanced as best possible, and wear it. Put your shoes and as many heavy things as possible (balls etc) in the pet carrier or top case to lighten the load. You will be a pretty wide load doing it this way so drive with care.

What else... There is a company that makes a surfboard carrier for scooters that hangs the board off one side. I thought about modifying that but thought the weight distribution would be so lopsided I didn't pursue it.

You might also try getting one of those little scooter trailers and putting your bag in that.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i have the similar style bag by the same manufacturer, but for softball. i can't do it supporting all the weight but if you loosen the shoulder straps a bit so the bag weight is on the seat. its not so bad. have to try it around the neighborhood first. :D golf clubs are longer than bats so I'm sure your results won't be exactly the same.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If trying the method pictured above with a Buddy rear rack, remember they are only rated to carry 10lbs...

hell, I can lose more than 10lbs of balls.

jcbud

Post by jcbud »

yeah that method in the picture looks a little risky. Its bad enought everyone is at risk when I'm on the golf course but add the road to that ......I dont know. Carry on my back low close to the seat seems the safest
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I don't golf, but in the back of my mind, I'd love to be able to tote an electric bass on something like that surfboard rack.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

As an avid golfer and a soon to be Stella owner I'm glad to see someone asking this question because it has been on my mind also.

I'm an avid tennis player and inline skater and even my large tennis bag or my inline skates along with my wife's skates shouldn't be a problem, but I've been coming up empty with ideas to transport my golf clubs.

If someone comes up with a concoction that would hold them along the side of a scooter or motorcycle I'd bet they could make some money.
Last edited by Mulliganal on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Mulliganal wrote:someone comes up with a concoction that would hold them along the side of a scooter or motorcycle I'd bet they could make some money.
Problem with anything that holds a bag on one side of the scooter is that it's on one side of the scooter. The weight distribution would be so one-sided that riding would be very difficult. The weight of the bag needs to be centered or close to it.

jcbud

Post by jcbud »

the is a rack that fits on the back of a motorcycle, buts it looks big and awkward plus its around $400. What a golf bag needs is a waist strap or belt that will hold the bag low and tight. low close to the seat and tight against your hips/belt/lower back etc. this should prevent swaying.....i think.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:someone comes up with a concoction that would hold them along the side of a scooter or motorcycle I'd bet they could make some money.
Problem with anything that holds a bag on one side of the scooter is that it's on one side of the scooter. The weight distribution would be so one-sided that riding would be very difficult. The weight of the bag needs to be centered or close to it.
I have no concept of the weight of golfclubs but the PX engine is on the right side of the bike, while this throws off some people who aren't used to it, you will find that it's really easy to adjust to.
Didn't somebody make a rack to carry their surf-board on the right side of their GTS?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Why not just stand the bag on the floorboard and hold it with your legs? Shouldn't be too hard to see around it.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

pugbuddy wrote:Why not just stand the bag on the floorboard and hold it with your legs? Shouldn't be too hard to see around it.
I've tried that, but it's unstable and a bit squirrely. It's not a great solution...
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

There is always the simple solution of laying the bag across the front rack. It would be a wide load for a scooter and not a bit elegant, but at least it would be balanced, secure, and the scooter would handle fine.

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Mulliganal wrote:As an avid golfer and a soon to be Stella owner I'm glad to see someone asking this question because it has been on my mind also.

I'm an avid tennis player and inline skater and even my large tennis bag or my inline skates along with my wife's skates shouldn't be a problem, but I've been coming up empty with ideas to transport my golf clubs.

If someone comes up with a concoction that would hold them along the side of a scooter or motorcycle I'd bet they could make some money.
The Stella back rack is larger and much sturdier than the one available for the Buddy. In addition, the Stella's are a decent bit heavier due to the metal body. Lastly, when on the center stand the Stella's back wheel stays on the ground and the front is lifted- this makes the back rack a much more stable area for carrying cargo.

The problem with the Buddy back rack is that it's small, so if you don't drop the money on a top case, most people bungee a milk crate on there. I really enjoyed the larger flat space of the Stella's back rack, I liked having the option of strapping pretty much anything, any size, any shape to it with a bungee net and a couple other cords for extra hold if necessary- with the Buddy, since it's light and the back wheel is off the ground, if you put more than 10lbs on the back it can tip. Shoot, I went to the store and came out with a gallon of milk, some pam and two tv dinners, and that was enough to tip it backwards.

However, I think if you could lay the club bag sideways behind you, where a cupcake would sit, and find a way to secure/bungee them in place there, it'd be pretty safe- much closer to the scoot's center of gravity.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lokky wrote: I have no concept of the weight of golfclubs but the PX engine is on the right side of the bike, while this throws off some people who aren't used to it, you will find that it's really easy to adjust to.
Also, this. Truth be told, I got so used to counter-balancing on his Stella, even riding as a cupcake, that when I got my Buddy it took me an hour or so to realize that that was a reason I felt strange on it- it's center balanced. Having off-center weight is completely doable.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So....this is a fairly old thread, and I see that jcbud's last post was on Sat Apr 16, 2011 @ 12:14 pm.

If you are still posting on the forum, what did you end up doing? You've got my curiosity piqued..... :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

michelle_7728 wrote:So....this is a fairly old thread, and I see that jcbud's last post was on Sat Apr 16, 2011 @ 12:14 pm.

If you are still posting on the forum, what did you end up doing? You've got my curiosity piqued..... :D
NICE, I didn't even look at the dates... zombie thread!
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i have gon dozens of times takeing the clubs up to 50 miles one way with them laying in the rack sidways
as long as tou strap it down good they dont go any where
i normaly wrap a bunji just below the head and pull it back towards the bag
i have done it on both the stella and the zuma
i will say it will slow you down a bit with the "wing" on th eback of the scoot
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos