so THAT's what 35 F feels like

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

standup

so THAT's what 35 F feels like

Post by standup »

I rode to work this AM in the coldest weather yet, 35 degrees F. And it was cold. Wearing an old-school leather motorcycle jacket with a cotton sweater underneath, I could feel my temperature dropping. "Midweight" leather MC gloves got chilly pretty quick. By the time I got to work, it was a little painful. Full face helmet kept my head warm, but my chin froze.

Next day this cold I'm upgrading to fleece as the under-layer and digging out the balaclava I have somewhere. Maybe a liner for the gloves.

But if I find I can tough it out down to 32-35, I at least know when to consider riding to work.

Today it took an hour to feel normal again.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think purchasing some winter gauntlets would be a better choice than leather gloves. Corazzo seems to sell the cheapest in name brand gloves for winter, their's are 65 dollars plus shipping, others I see even on newenough.com are all over 80-100 dollars.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

How long was your ride? I'm thinking about riding to work tomorrow and it's going to be 31 F. But my ride is short, about 15 minutes.
standup

Post by standup »

chloefpuff wrote:How long was your ride? I'm thinking about riding to work tomorrow and it's going to be 31 F. But my ride is short, about 15 minutes.
The ride is about 35 min., plenty of time for body heat to dissipate. I'm looking at it as a challenge -- I want to find the point between "too freaking cold" and "too much freaking gear to hassle with" that works on a weekday morning.

The gloves have a gauntlet wrist, so keeping the air out is working, they just need more insulation.
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

It's been cold here, too. I need fuzzy warm gloves, a neck warmer...wind resistant pants...yeah, the amount of gear increases in direct proportion to the temperature decreasing. BRRR!
Plus, my mirrors fog up. What's with that?!
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

I rode to college today, about 25-30 minutes at 32 degrees. I wore a heavy leather jacket and winter motorcycle gloves and everything stayed pretty warm except my chin even though I have a windshield. I think I'll have to wear a balaclava too. This was my first time riding this cold so I was surprised that it wasn't that bad.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

My overgloves were cheap and toasty warm this 35-degree morning: I paid $24.99; looks like they're up to $29.99.
http://www.olympiagloves.com/internetspecials.html
Scroll down to 4280 - GORE-TEX OVER GLOVE.
Order from the main website.

Stay warm, stay stubborn, stay brave!
armacham

Post by armacham »

I have these
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... zmap=16465

they keep my hands pretty toasty.

I combined this with a fieldsheer aqua tour jacket with a liner, and a neck gaiter to block the wind.

I need some thicker socks to wear under my boots, and I need to figure out something to keep my legs warm, probably will just wear my rain pants to break the wind

Of course I live in tucson so I doubt I will ever see below 35 even in the middle of the night.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I got the everyone's price beat. I paid $10 for snow gloves at RiteAid last winter. They are water proof, wind proof, and very warm.

I can't find them (yet) this year. I'm looking for a pair for my daughter who is riding now.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

hahaha.

It's supposed to be sub-freezing when I ride home from work tonight.

My goal this year is to ride in sub-zero ambient temperatures.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hmm...when I rode home from work last Friday (at 9pm) it was 68 degrees...but I digress. :D
Try going to a sporting goods store to buy a one piece ski coverall. You can still wear your leathers over it and it'll keep you warm.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I got the everyone's price beat. I paid $10 for snow gloves at RiteAid last winter. They are water proof, wind proof, and very warm.
The windproof part is the BIG one. I cannot find good gloves that are windproof. There is another thread here (where are the Harley riders?) that recommends hand covers or "choppers" gloves. Any thoughts?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

i made it down to 4 degrees now but the trip was only about 15 miles :wink:
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

vaderscoot wrote:i made it down to 4 degrees now but the trip was only about 15 miles :wink:
Can you still have children?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I use glove liners that I bought at a ski shop; made a big difference and can be removed when not needed.
bluebuddygirl

Cold here in Ohio too.

Post by bluebuddygirl »

This morning here in Akron Ohio it was a brisk 32. I have insulated pants and had about 6 layers up top, but even with some ski gloves on my hands were a bit chilly after the 45 minute commute. I went to TJ Maxx after work and bought some better cold weather waterproof, but not motorcycle, gloves. A man at work who used to ride in winter (and now bicycles to work in all weather) said to actually wear plastic bags on the hands, keeps the wind out better than just about anything.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

My wife and I just finished making a lap blanket. Tomorrow eveing we're going to wash it with Nikwax. I took it for a test ride this evening, it's only 41 degrees, but it did exceptionally well. Duckcloth, insulative material and skull and camo fleece all sandwiched together. Not bad at all for about $30 worth of material and some brain scratching to make it all fit right. We'll see in the morning when it's 34ish (per our oh-so-accurate weather forecasters). I skipped the last few days, but my upper body and neck is now limber enough again to take the Buddy to work. I missed the solitude of my exhaust and my thoughts the last few days.

Just wish me luck against finding any Corpsicas... :x
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Yeah, it was 68 degrees, but it was San Francisco so it still felt like 35:)
babblefish wrote:Hmm...when I rode home from work last Friday (at 9pm) it was 68 degrees...but I digress. :D
Try going to a sporting goods store to buy a one piece ski coverall. You can still wear your leathers over it and it'll keep you warm.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:My wife and I just finished making a lap blanket. Tomorrow eveing we're going to wash it with Nikwax. I took it for a test ride this evening, it's only 41 degrees, but it did exceptionally well. Duckcloth, insulative material and skull and camo fleece all sandwiched together. Not bad at all for about $30 worth of material and some brain scratching to make it all fit right. We'll see in the morning when it's 34ish (per our oh-so-accurate weather forecasters). I skipped the last few days, but my upper body and neck is now limber enough again to take the Buddy to work. I missed the solitude of my exhaust and my thoughts the last few days.

Just wish me luck against finding any Corpsicas... :x
Would love to see pics of this. I was thinking that my crafty wife could probably whip up one of these if I designed it. Not really worth the effort for winter in SoCal, though.

It's going to be 90 tomorrow. Meh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote: Would love to see pics of this. I was thinking that my crafty wife could probably whip up one of these if I designed it. Not really worth the effort for winter in SoCal, though.

It's going to be 90 tomorrow. Meh.
Sure, I'll snap a few of the finished product once she's happy with it. It wasn't hard at all, I did the pattern and cutting, she did all the sewing (mostly because she won't let me use her sewing machine).

I'll try to figure out what the insulated cloth is called as well, it's really amazing stuff. Just judging from my test ride this evening, I think it'll work out very well. No chill at all, except for me and my silly sneakers. And it'll be doubly awesome once we Nikwax it (thanks to Kaos for that tip - I'm glad I asked someone in the Pacific Northwest for advice on water-proofing, lol).
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Currently sitting on my couch, contemplating whether I will ride to work today or not. It is 34 degrees, which is okay - that wouldn't be enough to stop me. But the 50% chance of rain for the ride home tonight makes me hesitate.

I will do, and have done, cold. I will do, and have done rain. But freezing cold rain?? That just sounds awful.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

58 degrees this morning. Put on my wind breaker under my mesh jacket. BBBBRRRRRRRRRR! :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

DennisD wrote:58 degrees this morning. Put on my wind breaker under my mesh jacket. BBBBRRRRRRRRRR! :D
Man, I hate all you warm weather types :) My commute was 31 degrees and foggy this morning!
kc2klq

Post by kc2klq »

rain and high 30's - gusting wind to 25mph... fun little commute :)
standup

Post by standup »

Still messing around with it, it'll be 30s-40s in the morning all week. This morning was low 40s, and I now know a mesh jacket with fleece under it won't quite do the job. The scarf will really have to give way to a balaclava. It's not too cold yet, but I'm figuring out where the weak links are.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Low 50s this morning. Mesh jacket with rain liner attached and ff helmet did okay. Legs a little cold in Dockers. Next purchase, full on winter gauntlet gloves.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

83 degrees here. Today I had to put on jeans instead of shorts it was so cold.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

icant wait till wnsday night supossed to get down in the 20's maybe snow
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Kaos wrote:
DennisD wrote:58 degrees this morning. Put on my wind breaker under my mesh jacket. BBBBRRRRRRRRRR! :D
Man, I hate all you warm weather types :) My commute was 31 degrees and foggy this morning!
Don't hate me because I'm warm! :D
Er...about 68 here and I thought it was a bit nippy.... :D
Middle of the afternoon right now and it's about 75. It'll get colder here soon enough. I can already feel the change when riding home at night - we'll soon see the low 50's.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Pics in the gallery forum

Post by Lostmycage »

I made quick post with pics of my home made lap blanket cause some folks (Ericalm at least, hehe) requested.

viewtopic.php?p=108259#108259

Hope it inspires some to ride longer, it was lonely on Staples Mill today, hehe.

Per the original thread:
KBC Modular helm
"Turtle fur" Balaclava
Redline leather/kevlar gauntlets
Armadillo Parka (I have to keep the pit vents open, that thing is amazing!)
My 8 year old Redwing boots - if you can't read the endorsement in that, let's just say Excellent. Then say excellent again. You're still short-selling them.
And now my homemade Lap Blanket.
I should be fine down to about 0 as long as there no chance for precipitation.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Ahem...am I going to get killed if I said it's 10PM and 74 degrees? :P
I started to sweat on the ride home tonight...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I started to sweat on the ride home as well, much cooler here (63ish?), but I was silly and left the liner in my parka... Now I know better.

The only reason I'd be jealous of you is that you still have your Blur, lol.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Lostmycage wrote:I started to sweat on the ride home as well, much cooler here (63ish?), but I was silly and left the liner in my parka... Now I know better.

The only reason I'd be jealous of you is that you still have your Blur, lol.
I hope you find the bastid who tried to run you over. I guess people around here are more aware of scooters because there are more of them in the streets along with the many motorcycles and bicyclists and the odd pedestrian crossing against the light without looking for on-coming traffic. :roll:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:Ahem...am I going to get killed if I said it's 10PM and 74 degrees? :P
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I was in San Francisco all day sweating! When I finally left town around 8pm it was still 74. Shocking. Then when I got back to the central valley it was much cooler (62 degrees). Weird.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

IMO leather sucks for blocking cold! I use a good armored textile jacket with a fleece sweater-jac for a liner!
JR Ballistic gloves (thin, and incredibly warm!) keep my hands good, while Knee-Necks (low, wrap-around textile leg-warmer chaps) keep my lower legs covered...
Trick is to allow absolutely NO GAPS for cold air to seep in. Glove gauntlets hafta fit snug over sleeve ends, and waist has to snug tight, as does the upper neck opening, with a scarf.

And of course a bike windshield is a tremendous plus!! :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My armored mesh jacket (Olympia Motosports) has a removable inner jacket that is very warm and totally windproof, although I doubt if it would be warm enough for those of you in the colder states. I'd say it's good down to about the upper 40s'. They do make other jackets that might be warmer and their prices are pretty reasonable (for motorcycle gear).
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:
babblefish wrote:Ahem...am I going to get killed if I said it's 10PM and 74 degrees? :P
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I was in San Francisco all day sweating! When I finally left town around 8pm it was still 74. Shocking. Then when I got back to the central valley it was much cooler (62 degrees). Weird.
Ah yes, our "Indian Summer"...gotta love it! :D
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Drumwoulf wrote:IMO leather sucks for blocking cold! I use a good armored textile jacket with a fleece sweater-jac for a liner!
JR Ballistic gloves (thin, and incredibly warm!) keep my hands good, while Knee-Necks (low, wrap-around textile leg-warmer chaps) keep my lower legs covered...
Trick is to allow absolutely NO GAPS for cold air to seep in. Glove gauntlets hafta fit snug over sleeve ends, and waist has to snug tight, as does the upper neck opening, with a scarf.

And of course a bike windshield is a tremendous plus!! :wink:
I completely disagree drumwoulf. Nothing keeps me warm like a tight motorcycle leather jacket with a blouse, then a fleece jacket or sweater (for going to/from work). Nothing gets through that leather. It has to fit tight and it has to be good quality (read: not from Wilsons). Bomber fit I wouldn't recommend. I wear a leather racer and it keeps me toasty...and I'm a thin girl who is always cold! I recommend a vintage racer or a Schott Perfecto Jacket (worn by police officers all over the world). I was lucky to pick one up for $30 at a thrift store. Don't do eBay; you'll pay through the nose.

I stop wearing my textile jackets in September (in New England). Leather from late Sept through early May (exception is January/February when only the completely certifiable ride).
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

My only cold weather compliant with the Buddy was getting cold legs because I wouldn't wear a scooter skirt. I switched from a Buddy to a Stella this spring and now that the morning temps have dropped down to the uppers 30s this week and what a difference that larger leg shield makes! No cold legs, I bet I could get in the low 20s without getting cold legs. Looks like next week I night get a change to find out.

The end of the riding season is getting closer. :cry:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dan Buddy wrote: The end of the riding season is getting closer. :cry:
You speak lies! There is no end to the riding season! ;)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:
Dan Buddy wrote: The end of the riding season is getting closer. :cry:
You speak lies! There is no end to the riding season! ;)
I think he means it like the end of the year. Example, the riding season ends on November 1st. The new riding season starts on Nov 2. I'm sure that's what he means.

Who wants to help me celebrate the scooter new year? It's a little confusing as some of the dealers already have 09's on the floors. That could be a fun theme for a winter rally, actually.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

[quote="Dan Buddy"]My only cold weather compliant with the Buddy was getting cold legs because I wouldn't wear a scooter skirt. I switched from a Buddy to a Stella this spring and now that the morning temps have dropped down to the uppers 30s this week and what a difference that larger leg shield makes! No cold legs, I bet I could get in the low 20s without getting cold legs. quote]

I have been using ski pants ($25) for my morning commute with the cold temps in Denver. It's great! I wear a base layer and jeans underneath. The afternoons have been warm so I just stow them in the pet carrier for the ride home.
I also have a Fieldsheer Track Paddock 2 textile jacket. It comes with the Thermo Pilot liner and I don't feel a thing in the cold! I do wear a Schampa face mask/neck gaiter to cover the area between the ff helmet and jacket collar.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.