Saying goodbye to Julia ['05 vs '08]

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bluefox

Saying goodbye to Julia ['05 vs '08]

Post by bluefox »

As you all know, I have a little thing about buying 50 billion Stellas. Well as of last week, I've sold Julia to an elderly old coot for the sake of saving myself a couple bucks.

Now that I'm one scooter lighter, I can give an honest review of the '05 stellas vs the '08 stellas.

The 05' Stellas are older and they hold more confidence in my heart. After the change of cheaper, more plastic parts, I had constant issues with my green stella. Even after I made the mistake of seizing the engine, I still had a constant battle of a sticky throttle, bad pressure leaks, and just plain unreliability.

With that said...

Julia is fast. Like faster than a fat kid eating chocolate pudding fast.

I put the Sito+ on both scoots, yet after both being broken in, Julia outran The Albatross by leaps and bounds. I even had the famous Dave Hurtado take it around the block and he proclaimed how quick it was. Julia is a force to be reckoned with.

The '05 Albatross does 50-55 MPH (GPS) Julia ('08) does 60.

So my verdict for the '08: Fast, but not as consistent as my '05. I've had the albatross for 4 years, and I've never had to take her in for over the top services. Just basic maintenance like oil changes, plug replacements, etc.

My verdict for the 05? I can't give a fair judgement. Shes my first love, and I'll always put her first. Shes slow, but not ONCE has she ever given me lip.

Either way, I'll miss you Julia! <3

Now to change my signature...
ImageImage
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

That's the P! for piaggio from the anime FLCL, I loved that series! I've seen a few people restore SS180's yellow and put that on their bike to make a "replica"
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Aw, I hope that old coot appreciates her as much as you. You think you will go for a 4T Stella, or are you the sort that thinks they are an abomination?

edit: obviously I mean in addition to the Albatross, not as a replacement.
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Aw, I hope that old coot appreciates her as much as you. You think you will go for a 4T Stella, or are you the sort that thinks they are an abomination?

edit: obviously I mean in addition to the Albatross, not as a replacement.
Right. The 4T is kinda up in the air. I want to ride it around and see how the difference is when the power is thrown into the wheels and takes me off.

if you ask me, I think the 4T is crazy ugly under the cowl, but, if it means throwing in a huge engine, then maybe. JUST maybe. it might be worth it
ImageImage
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As with the designated hitter rule..there should be a constitutional amendment prohibiting the 4T Stella!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

BuddyRaton wrote:As with the designated hitter rule..there should be a constitutional amendment prohibiting the 4T Stella!

Why do you have a problem with the (as of now, theoretical) 4T Stella?
ModBud #442
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

It's been a while since I posted, but look.

We all have our opinions on the 4T stella. I am holding reserve on it until I drive it as all of u should :)
ImageImage
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I like the IDEA of a 4t Stella, because reality is that 2t engines are an endangered species. Much better that they make them 4t and keep the production line going!

That said, I bought mine to make sure I got a 2t before they went extinct. Its a preference. I like 2t's because they are simple and snot in your hand easy to make more power with.
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm curious. Except for the headlight cowl, what is now plastic on the 2008+ that was not on the earlier model?
Valves are for wussies.