[NSR] Blackberry Blues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Vic

[NSR] Blackberry Blues

Post by Vic »

After more than 12 hours of being disconnected from the world, I had arrived at the conclusion that someone needs to come up with a Blackberry Anon Program and I was begining to wonder if I would survive.

Suddenly, my right hand started to twitch. I figured it was the end coming, but then it started to twitch again and I realised that it was my Phone that was twitching-no it was vibrating!

Could it be?!?!? My beloved BB was back, emails were again arriving!

I am back from the dark ages and I can stop any time I want to.

Network outages suck. To all the IT folks (whatever network you take care of) you are appreciated.

Ok, I gotta get back on otter duty-somebody has to keep the planes in the air!

Cheers,
-v
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Blackberry Blues

Post by Lostmycage »

Vic wrote: Ok, I gotta get back on otter duty-somebody has to keep the planes in the air!

Cheers,
-v
This statement intrigued me. What... what is otter duty? Babysitting, herding, feeding, rehabilitating? How do the otters keep the planes in the air? Is this another TSA thing?

Glad your reconnected!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Heh, I can understand that completely. I work as a network engineer in the phone industry, and ALWAYS have at least two smartphones on me. Sometimes more than that! I don't know what I'd do without them!

Now.... Um... Back to err... Weasel duty? Marmot duty? Badger duty? Man, why don't we get cool job names like that in my industry?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Lostmycage wrote:What... what is otter duty? Babysitting, herding, feeding, rehabilitating? How do the otters keep the planes in the air?
Few people realize the key behind-the-scenes role that otters play in so much of what we take for granted in day-to-day life. They're almost as important as the tree frogs.
Vic

Post by Vic »

As I was tapping out my post a story on the news came on about a Columbus, Ohio bound plane that was delayed in Florida because some otters got loose in the cargo hold.
They showed luggage that had been damaged by the little buggers. Apparently it took an hour to gather 'em all up. The passengers seemed to have taken it with good humor.
The news did not know where the otters were headed after their arrival in Columbus.
It was an early morning after a totally sleepless night (I blame the BB outage but it is probably more accurately my own fault for getting my days and night mixed up) and I am off my Ritalin so I have the attention span of a gnat.
-v
And thanks to whoever added the NSR tag. :oops:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I had a much better explanation all figured out in my imagination. At least that makes sense now, hehe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

How is it that all Blackberries can be affected? Don't they just use the internet? Or are they like the AOL of smartphones?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

My Droid's worked fine all week.

I don't get why just BB's are affected, either. It has something to do with RIM, but I dunno what. I like the AOL analogy :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

twoscoots wrote:My Droid's worked fine all week.

I don't get why just BB's are affected, either. It has something to do with RIM, but I dunno what. I like the AOL analogy :)
Yeah, the RIM gateway was down. All the other smartphones were fine.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Can you tether that thing?

Yeah, but I went to Verizon so I would not have to deal with AT&T anymore! My first smartphone was a Nokia through AT&T and I got sick to death of dealing with them.

I made friends during a particularly drawn out wipe, update and download (of the CORRECT OS this time :roll: ) with a tech at Verizon. I am one of those boobs that somehow manages to download the wrong stuff and install it on their blackberry and then run with it for about 4 months before thinking to mention it during a conversation where I just called to ask if the network was down. :)

I also have made friends with a few of the folks in the store during my remedial Blackberry classes (these are the prerequisite for the "Blackberry for Idiots" classes. :wink:

The folks over at ATT treated me like an idiot when I couldn't fit the memory card I purchased from them. When they couldn't fit it in there either and had to give me a different one, they didn't even apologize for having rolled their eyes at me-or for having sold me the wrong one. I know I am a nincompoop, but wait until after I leave the store before you roll your eyes.

I am thinking about upgrading to a Droid, but I love the email finctionality on the BB.

Besides, I can put this Blackberry down any time I want. I swear! :wink:

-v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Actually, you can run the iPhone on TMobile and Verizon. Lots of folks do, just takes a little alteration.

I'm no fan of AT&T either but I have a cherry contract grandfathered in from my original Cingular account. I'd be paying much more for a new contract with similar terms at any other company.

AT&T briefly allowed tethering on the iPhone then killed it. When I upgraded my phone, I was still under the impression tethering was allowed—it is in other countries. As you may have heard, AT&T has been choking on the traffic on their data net and one of their execs has rather famously blamed traffic from phones.

If I didn't have AT&T I'd probably be sitting on my network lusting after the phone.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I have my iPhone running on T-Mobile. Love it. Love it. Love it. I can tether it but have not personally done it yet.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:Actually, you can run the iPhone on TMobile and Verizon. Lots of folks do, just takes a little alteration.

I'm no fan of AT&T either but I have a cherry contract grandfathered in from my original Cingular account. I'd be paying much more for a new contract with similar terms at any other company.

AT&T briefly allowed tethering on the iPhone then killed it. When I upgraded my phone, I was still under the impression tethering was allowed—it is in other countries. As you may have heard, AT&T has been choking on the traffic on their data net and one of their execs has rather famously blamed traffic from phones.

If I didn't have AT&T I'd probably be sitting on my network lusting after the phone.
You can run it on T-Mobile you CANNOT run it on Verizon. The iPhone is a GSM phone, Verizon is CDMA.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Kaos wrote:You can run it on T-Mobile you CANNOT run it on Verizon. The iPhone is a GSM phone, Verizon is CDMA.
translation for those of us who don't do tech-speak?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Vic wrote:
Kaos wrote:You can run it on T-Mobile you CANNOT run it on Verizon. The iPhone is a GSM phone, Verizon is CDMA.
translation for those of us who don't do tech-speak?
It means that you can buy an iPhone and use it on EITHER AT&T OR T-Mobile, but it cannot be used on Sprint, Verizon, or Nextel. Because they use a different cellphone tech. So if you want an iPhone, but don't want AT&T, you've got other options.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Get a Droid.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Eric, you're starting to remind me of my clay prof. He's the pusher, I mean, person who got me to convert to Mac. :lol: He also lent me his copy of "Quadrophenia" when he heard I was debating between scooters and motorcycles. Hmm....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:Eric, you're starting to remind me of my clay prof. He's the pusher, I mean, person who got me to convert to Mac. :lol: He also lent me his copy of "Quadrophenia" when he heard I was debating between scooters and motorcycles. Hmm....
Ha, someone on MV recently posted that he's "a PC" but totally loves the MacBook and iPhone he got for Christmas. We call this denial.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

ericalm wrote:
Cheshire wrote:Eric, you're starting to remind me of my clay prof. He's the pusher, I mean, person who got me to convert to Mac. :lol: He also lent me his copy of "Quadrophenia" when he heard I was debating between scooters and motorcycles. Hmm....
Ha, someone on MV recently posted that he's "a PC" but totally loves the MacBook and iPhone he got for Christmas. We call this denial.
:lol: Or withdrawal. Give him a week or two and ask him if things are starting to taste better, or if his sense of smell is improving while using his Apple stuff. ;) :twisted:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
I'd much rather have my Eeepc and my Droid, Eris, G1, and Cliq :P
Syd

Post by Syd »

Kaos wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I'd rather have my StarTac. :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Dam youngings an yer fancy didly-do-hickeys! Back in my day, we ignored the phone at supper time and we liked it that way!

Don't get me wrong, I like my gadgets and tech, but we pay more than any other country in the world for mobile data access. We'll keep paying it too as long as we... keep paying it. I know that could be worded better.

If they come out with a reasonable plan, I'll jump in. Until then, I'll be one of the few that's not obsessed with my phone.

This mobile service reality check brought to you by YFPOCGWDGCAWTASO-WLTW: Younger Fellas Pretendin to be Old Crotchety Guys Who Don't Give a Crap About What Their Acronym Spells Out - Who Like it That Way. :nerd:

LOL
Syd

Post by Syd »

More even than Australia? Huh. I was over there last year and even home *internet* access came with time limits, something to do with having to truck it in from Malaysia or something.

Oh, by the way, I don't care what everyone says, you're pretty OK for a Crotchety Old Young'un.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Syd wrote:
Kaos wrote:
ericalm wrote: Ha, someone on MV recently posted that he's "a PC" but totally loves the MacBook and iPhone he got for Christmas. We call this denial.
I'd rather have my StarTac. :wink:
Heh, we'll I'll give you this. Run your phone over with a Semi, yours'll likely survive ;)
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

You'se guys member when iffin ya wasn't at the house, weren't no ways fer folks ta get ahold'ya? I kinda miss havin ta change dem liddle bity caysettey tapes in muh anserin machine too? I do luv me sum technology but damnin iffin it ain't gettin outta hand, now I gotta go, my wife needs to use the phone so I gots ta get off this heya computa..... :)
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."