Mystery Hose - what the heck is it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

C2

Mystery Hose - what the heck is it?

Post by C2 »

All,

After unlocking my Buddy today to go to lunch - it was locked thru the frame-member by the centerstand - I noticed a "mystery hose" dangling that I hadn't seen before. It doesn't appear to be a "wet" hose, so I'm wondering if it is the "fresh air in" for the carbon canister or some other "air-related" hose.? I can just barely see where the other end is connected, but it's deep inside the inner workings and I can't really tell what it is attached to.

Any advise on what it might be? Should I be worried? Do I need to visit my local dealer?

Here are two pics of the hose in question:

FWIW, I just hit the 200mi mark on the odo, and she's really starting to open up and make happy noises at 50+ mph. I didn't have any issues doing 50-60mph today on the 12mi round trip lunch.

Cheers,
C2
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Thats the carb overflow tube. Its for draining moisture etc from the carb. Its supposed to be sticking out there :)
C2

Post by C2 »

I was wondering about that... I kind of thought along similar lines. But as I hadn't seen it hanging out before (and what I know of engines could fill a shot glass), I thought I would ask my MB brothers and sisters.

Danke!

C2
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Actually, it's the carb bowl drain tube, hehe.

You can stick a container under it, unattach the in and out hoses from the carb, rock the carb towards the "driver's" side of the scoot and turn the screw in the collar counter-clockwise and it'll dump all the fuel through that tube making re-jetting a TON cleaner. Plus you can recover the fuel instead of sopping it up in paper-towels and throwing it away. Just be sure to re-tighten the drain screw once it's empty.

The overflow tube looks like a 1.5" elbow tube with a sharp angle cut in one end pointing down.

I've added this to the FAQ/MB Guides Section. Thanks for the reminder to do so and probably the best pic I've seen of it yet.
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:Actually, it's the carb bowl drain tube, hehe.

You can stick a container under it, unattach the in and out hoses from the carb, rock the carb towards the "driver's" side of the scoot and turn the screw in the collar counter-clockwise and it'll dump all the fuel through that tube making re-jetting a TON cleaner. Plus you can recover the fuel instead of sopping it up in paper-towels and throwing it away. Just be sure to

The overflow tube looks like a 1.5" elbow tube with a sharp angle cut in one end pointing down.

I've added this to the FAQ/MB Guides Section. Thanks for the reminder to do so and probably the best pic I've seen of it yet.
And probably the cleanest scooter underbelly I've seen. :P
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I thought it was for sex classification its a boy belive me.
C2

Post by C2 »

djelliott wrote:I've added this to the FAQ/MB Guides Section. Thanks for the reminder to do so and probably the best pic I've seen of it yet.
Wow... I'm glad my little "mystery" turned out to be so helpful. Feel free to suck down those photos and use them for the greater good. ;)
Lostmycage wrote:And probably the cleanest scooter underbelly I've seen. :P
Yeah... well, she's only got 212mi on her and the summer here in SillyValley has been glorious.

C2
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can stick a container under it, unattach the in and out hoses from the carb, rock the carb towards the "driver's" side of the scoot and turn the screw in the collar counter-clockwise and it'll dump all the fuel through that tube making re-jetting a TON cleaner. Plus you can recover the fuel instead of sopping it up in paper-towels and throwing it away. Just be sure to

"Just be sure to…" what? Not smoke while doing it? I must know!

Is this the easiest way to drain the gas out of a Bud?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:

No, but its the cleanest. The easiest is to just pull the float cover, but gas gets all over the place when you do that. :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:
ericalm wrote: "Just be sure to…" what? Not smoke while doing it? I must know!

No, but its the cleanest. The easiest is to just pull the float cover, but gas gets all over the place when you do that. :)
Easiest? Technically, flipping the carb over and watching gas go over the engine while I'm unscrewing the bowl is "easier"....

Cleanest? Absolutely.

As far as difficulty, I think it takes all of a few extra seconds to let the bowl drain through the tube, lol.

I've done quite a bit of rejetting (damned tinkering!!!) on the carb and when I figured out that this was a drain and not an overflow that was my "ah-HAH!" moment. I think as far as cleanup is concerned, this is the best way to rejet. I don't have to use any containers or even a single paper towel/shop rag to rejet when using the drain.

C2Thanks for the photos, if you ever feel like side-lining as a tech article photographer (for no pay, of course) let me know. Also, I think you got your quotes mixed up :P
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:

re-tighten the drain screw once it's empty

Ha, wow, I missed this one. I fixed it above. Good thing I was going back through the FAQs to check on some things.

Yes, this is without a doubt the easiest (as long as you have an offset or stubby screwdriver) way to drain the carb, and you can recover almost all the fuel that you drain from it, so long as you drain it into a clean container.

Also, you're dead on about not smoking while doing this.