Anybody have a solid cheap surfboard diy rack for a 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alchemistry33

Anybody have a solid cheap surfboard diy rack for a 125?

Post by Alchemistry33 »

As the title implies....

What materials did you use? where did you mount? Drill into the plastic farings? Pictures would be super helpful. I need something stable for either a short or longboard that can handle 60+mph.

This is my first post, forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I have no answer for you but I'm not sure I'd want something acting like a big sail on something as light as a Buddy doing 60 mph. Even without the sail the stability of a Buddy is pretty iffy at 60 mph.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Mitch carries a 12' paddleboard on a Vino 125. Not sure he does 60 though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL5Edlm ... pp=desktop
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 4.17.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 4.17.13 PM.png (168.77 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
JettaKnight

Re: Anybody have a solid cheap surfboard diy rack for a 125?

Post by JettaKnight »

Alchemistry33 wrote:As the title implies....

What materials did you use? where did you mount? Drill into the plastic farings? Pictures would be super helpful. I need something stable for either a short or longboard that can handle 60+mph.

This is my first post, forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered.
On a Buddy?

:lol:
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You can build almost anything with PVC pipe. There are web sites out there dedicated to building with pvc pipe. Easy to cut. Easy to attach. Rust proof.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Mitch now hauls two on a 125.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 12.13.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 12.13.23 PM.png (171.33 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

DeeDee wrote:Mitch now hauls two on a 125.
Is there a third wheel under those surfboards? Don't see how it can be done otherwise.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BayStateScooterist wrote:
DeeDee wrote:Mitch now hauls two on a 125.
Is there a third wheel under those surfboards? Don't see how it can be done otherwise.
Watch this video that shows Mitch and his friend Westley designing and fabricating the carrier and you'll see how the weight of the boards is supported. In ten minutes of fast-motion video you see the entire process. I wish I had 1337 fabrication skills like that. Check out the quality of the welding Westley does on the brackets and stuff. Reading the comments I see that I'm not the only one who was impressed by the welding skill. Measurements, design, pipe bending, welding and fitting the whole thing in 10 fast-mo minutes. And the end product looks great. Wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvAGom8KBk
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anybody have a solid cheap surfboard diy rack for a 125?

Post by jrsjr »

Alchemistry33 wrote:As the title implies....

Do some online research on Carver Surf Racks. They make a surfboard carrier rack that works on scooters.

Here is the link: https://carverracks.com/csr-moped