How're we all doing?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

How're we all doing?

Post by skully93 »

I don't stop by to make all my rambling posts like I used to!

My buddy is on mothballs for a bit until I can get the $$ together and have DeeDee overhaul it, but still riding.

I've done a couple of 'essential' trips on the bike to pick up a few things, but no big rides so far this year.

Minor projects include swapping the rear rack and putting a small windscreen on the Vespa.

Motorcycle was serviced at the beginning of the year, ready to rock another 8k miles.

Just stopping by to see how everyone is holding up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hang in there. My main scooter activity recently has been to keep this site clean of spam.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

We’re in the 6th week of home quarantine here in NJ. The only things I’ve done to my bikes is to change their oil and filters. No riding whatsoever. I would feel too guilty if I go out riding during this pandemic.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
tenders

Post by tenders »

> I would feel too guilty if I go out riding during this pandemic.

No reason to feel guilty. I've been scooting as much as possible for errands. It's very social distancing-friendly.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I've been home on paid leave for the past couple of weeks. My Buddy is still my go-to mode of transportation for grocery errands, take-out pickups, and just to get out of the house once in a while. No need to feel guilty.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I wish I could be out enjoying my scooter, but the DMV closed 2 days after I bought it and I can't get a plate :(
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Weekly rides on my Buddy is saving my sanity! Very social distancing activity! :D
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I've been using Stella to run and get takeout after being stuck in the home-office all day. Scooter rides are indeed a good way to relax.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

eggsalad wrote:I wish I could be out enjoying my scooter, but the DMV closed 2 days after I bought it and I can't get a plate :(
At least here in Indiana, they won't fault you for that right now.

Being closed is a completely valid excuse.

Now that car I saw with a plate that expired in 2016 is a different story...
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

JettaKnight wrote:
eggsalad wrote:I wish I could be out enjoying my scooter, but the DMV closed 2 days after I bought it and I can't get a plate :(
At least here in Indiana, they won't fault you for that right now.

Being closed is a completely valid excuse.

Now that car I saw with a plate that expired in 2016 is a different story...
We're in a weird legal gray area because all of the laws were written with a (reasonable!) expectation the the DMV would never be closed for an indefinite period.

In Nevada, there is a 90-day extension on all existing documents. However, the only document I have is the prior title signed over by the previous owner. The DMV has informed me that I *must* leave the scooter on private property until it reopens.

However, the DMV neither writes nor enforces the law. I'm starting to see a few vehicles here and there being driven without license plates. Is Law Enforcement looking the other way? I can't be sure.

Since I haven't been able to obtain a plate and proper documents, I haven't bothered to obtain an insurance policy yet. Depending on how long the DMV remains closed, I may at some point get insurance and ride it without a plate and hope for the best.
Franks scoot

New here

Post by Franks scoot »

Just joined up a couple days ago, hope to learn a lot about scoot I just purchased. Of course no dmv right now so I guess I'll just stare at it. Don't hae a permit yet anyway so I can wait.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I am still employed and working from home. Took a 15% pay cut this week. We have laid off 4 office workers. My work load is slowing, more every week, so it's not looking good, long term.
- We moved our scooters inland, to avoid further corrosion. We will be rust busting and repainting steel frame and wheel parts this summer.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
BayStateScooterist

Re: New here

Franks scoot wrote:Just joined up a couple days ago, hope to learn a lot about scoot I just purchased. Of course no dmv right now so I guess I'll just stare at it. Don't hae a permit yet anyway so I can wait.
Congrats on your scooter purchase! What did you buy?
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

eggsalad wrote:However, the DMV neither writes nor enforces the law. I'm starting to see a few vehicles here and there being driven without license plates. Is Law Enforcement looking the other way? I can't be sure.

Since I haven't been able to obtain a plate and proper documents, I haven't bothered to obtain an insurance policy yet. Depending on how long the DMV remains closed, I may at some point get insurance and ride it without a plate and hope for the best.
Around here, you can't even buy yourself a ticket. Cops don't want to pull people over. That'd be one jerk of a cop that would ticket you when they know darn well you can't get a plate.

Of course, YMMV, but I'd get insurance and ride. You're in the break-in period (assuming it's new), so you'll be gentle and not attract attention.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I would make a homemade license plate and write “TEMPORARY� on it. I would absolutely get insurance on the bike. This way if you get pulled over, you can at least explain the reason for the temporary tag and show you are otherwise legal because you’re carrying insurance on your bike.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
RiderK

Re: How're we all doing?

Post by RiderK »

skully93 wrote:I don't stop by to make all my rambling posts like I used to!

My buddy is on mothballs for a bit until I can get the $$ together and have DeeDee overhaul it, but still riding.

I've done a couple of 'essential' trips on the bike to pick up a few things, but no big rides so far this year.

Minor projects include swapping the rear rack and putting a small windscreen on the Vespa.

Motorcycle was serviced at the beginning of the year, ready to rock another 8k miles.

Just stopping by to see how everyone is holding up.
I'm glad to see others using this time for shelved scooter projects and builds.

I'm doing good over here. Things could be better but things could always be worse so I'm fantastic. Finally collecting unemployment for the first time in my 41 years of plaguing this earth. Im still employed but the shop I work at is down for a bit. So I'm using this time to learn my new Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker (daily) and tinker, fab, and build my little Roughhouse. Hopefully get to my Piaggio more soon as well.

I've finally had the time to totally rebuild my Roughhouse. Shes together and tuned in almost perfectly now but now I am about to swap the carb to a 21mm Polini CP, NCY intake, Malossi CDI, NCY coil on plug kit, and swap the rear gears. Maybe I'll leave it alone after that but we'll see. I hope everyone is doing well.
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

JettaKnight wrote:
eggsalad wrote:However, the DMV neither writes nor enforces the law. I'm starting to see a few vehicles here and there being driven without license plates. Is Law Enforcement looking the other way? I can't be sure.

Around here, you can't even buy yourself a ticket. Cops don't want to pull people over. That'd be one jerk of a cop that would ticket you when they know darn well you can't get a plate.
The fine for operating a vehicle without a registration is $750 in Nevada. That's not a risk I'm willing to take.

And if I get the ticket, I can't fight the ticket in court (although I'm sure I'd have a legitimate case) because traffic courts are closed.
JettaKnight wrote: You're in the break-in period (assuming it's new), so you'll be gentle and not attract attention.
Nope. New vehicles (or any vehicle sold by a licensed dealer) come with a 30-day temporary plate. And the DMV has issued an extension on all documents for 90 days, so that temporary plate is good for 120 days.

Private party sales (which is how I bought mine) don't get a temporary plate.

Meanwhile, I have another functioning and licensed vehicle, so the Buddy 150 can just sit on its battery tender until the DMV reopens.
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

BayStateScooterist wrote:
Franks scoot wrote:Just joined up a couple days ago, hope to learn a lot about scoot I just purchased. Of course no dmv right now so I guess I'll just stare at it. Don't hae a permit yet anyway so I can wait.
I picked up an Orange 2008 Buddy 125 with 390 miles on it. Paid a little more than wanted too(900) but the lack of miles got me. :D
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Franks scoot wrote:
I picked up an Orange 2008 Buddy 125 with 390 miles on it. Paid a little more than wanted too(900) but the lack of miles got me. :D
You didn't do bad at all man. I'd buy that all day. Hope you enjoy it!!!
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

RiderK wrote:
Franks scoot wrote:
BayStateScooterist wrote: Congrats on your scooter purchase! What did you buy?
Glad to here that, was totally unsure on value, now gotta figure out what to do about wicker basket on front! :?:
tenders

Post by tenders »

Very good price. Also, orange is the best scooter color, expect a conversation at every red light in the (normal) summertime. (I have an orange Vespa and an orange helmet.)

I have an extra Genuine wicker basket for the rear rack, if you’re in the NYC area and looking to accessorize. It’s quite nice but doesn’t fit a modular full-face helmet, so I replaced it with a GIVI top case.
BayStateScooterist

Franks scoot wrote:
Wow, that's a great deal, essentially brand new!

Last year I bought my first scooter via private sale. A 2009 Buddy 150 Italia with 1500 miles that looks and rides like brand new for $950.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Franks scoot wrote:
BayStateScooterist wrote: Congrats on your scooter purchase! What did you buy?

Last year I bought my first scooter via private sale. A 2009 Buddy 150 Italia with 1500 miles that looks and rides like brand new for $950.
Hey! Another Masshole! Welcome to Modern Buddy. I hail from N Central Mass myself. Gardner, an old shop town on Rte 2.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

Franks scoot wrote:
RiderK wrote:
Franks scoot wrote: I picked up an Orange 2008 Buddy 125 with 390 miles on it. Paid a little more than wanted too(900) but the lack of miles got me. :D
Glad to here that, was totally unsure on value, now gotta figure out what to do about wicker basket on front! :?:
Thanks for the offer but I have a wicker basket that original owner installed on front that's not looking too "manly" to me :) Want to remove but there will be three holes there :(
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

eggsalad wrote:I wish I could be out enjoying my scooter, but the DMV closed 2 days after I bought it and I can't get a plate
At least around here virtually all DMV actions except vehicle inspections or drivers tests can be done on-line. Are you sure you can't complete the registration on-line or by phone?
tenders

Post by tenders »

Franks scoot wrote:Thanks for the offer but I have a wicker basket that original owner installed on front that's not looking too "manly" to me :) Want to remove but there will be three holes there :(
We can debate the rugged manliness of orange 125cc Taiwanese scooters at a later date. There may be a reason Genuine offers no matching billy stick or mace spray accessories with which to fend off hordes of nubile females.

(Seriously, I’m with you, I don’t like front baskets or racks no matter what they’re made of.)

But the hole situation has been solved before. My space-themed pins are still in place and look great. The ladies in my life like them too.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31615

I have a bunch of leftover plugs. Want me to send you some?
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d7zqKebrADQrGosC8 That is a slick answer, that or bullhorns
Syd

Post by Syd »

Franks scoot wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/d7zqKebrADQrGosC8 That is a slick answer, that or bullhorns
Genuine makes plugs for the holes removing the basket would uncover. Or, just paint the basket black. Manly.
Franks scoot

new

Post by Franks scoot »

Soooo, I guess you don't like the Bullhorns ? :( :?
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Dooglas wrote:
eggsalad wrote:I wish I could be out enjoying my scooter, but the DMV closed 2 days after I bought it and I can't get a plate
At least around here virtually all DMV actions except vehicle inspections or drivers tests can be done on-line. Are you sure you can't complete the registration on-line or by phone?
At least around these parts, anything involving transfer of title must absolutely, positively happen in person.
BayStateScooterist

Franks scoot wrote:
Franks scoot wrote:
RiderK wrote: You didn't do bad at all man. I'd buy that all day. Hope you enjoy it!!!
Thanks for the offer but I have a wicker basket that original owner installed on front that's not looking too "manly" to me :) Want to remove but there will be three holes there :(
You can replace the wicker basket with a black metal one. Mine came with one. I was on the fence whether to leave it on or remove it. I decided to leave it on. Have actually used it for utility. The other option is to remove it and buy plugs for the two lower holes, or buy a new front shield.

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genu ... bodypanels
Attachments
2009BuddyWithBasketa.jpg
2009BuddyWithBasketa.jpg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
BayStateScooterist

Franks scoot wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/d7zqKebrADQrGosC8 That is a slick answer, that or bullhorns
LOL! 8)
BayStateScooterist

Syd wrote:
Franks scoot wrote: I picked up an Orange 2008 Buddy 125 with 390 miles on it. Paid a little more than wanted too(900) but the lack of miles got me. :D

Hey! Another Masshole! Welcome to Modern Buddy. I hail from N Central Mass myself. Gardner, an old shop town on Rte 2.
Yup! Thanks. I proceed with caution. Gardner "The Furniture Capital of New England" is about 1/2 hour due north of me. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:
BayStateScooterist wrote: Wow, that's a great deal, essentially brand new!

Yup! Thanks. I proceed with caution. Gardner "The Furniture Capital of New England" is about 1/2 hour due north of me. :wink:
All the factories are closed now. The one my mother worked at (me too, a few summers) was demolished. It's a shame.