Stay safe everyone!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Stay safe everyone!

Post by babblefish »

Hope everyone is doing well in coping with the current Corona Virus situation.

For myself, my workplace sent me home for a couple weeks, paid. Seems I fall under the over 65 group. Been designing and printing a bunch of stuff on my 3D printer including a mask for when I leave the house on errands. A friend gave me a really nice acoustic guitar so I'm teaching myself how to play. Not sure how well that's going though. Watching a lot of YouTube tutorials. Will probably start a band when I get good in ten years or so. Maybe open for the Rolling Stones, who no doubt, will probably be still playing. Lol.

I've got plenty of toilet paper to defend against the zombie apocalypse and lots of water filters for the Britta and plenty of food for the cats so I'm comfortable.

So what is everyone else doing to get through all this?
Attachments
DIY mask with one-way valves when breathing out.
DIY mask with one-way valves when breathing out.
mask1.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

My area in NJ (Monmouth County) is sort of a semi-hotspot - nowhere near as bad as NYC, not as good as a mountaintop in Nepal. But we've been following all of the guidelines and so far, so good. My daughter and I are both fortunate enough to be able to work from home, and that's a big plus. Also got out of the equities market and into stables long before the recent bloodbath. (Never trusted Wall Street as far as I could throw a chimney by its smoke anyway).

Other than work, been keeping myself busy by starting to get back into model railroading, doing yard work, texting quarantine accomodation offers to Kate Upton, etc. You know, guy stuff.

Still haven't prepped the Helix as the weather's been yo-yo-ing between warm and cold, wet and dry for a couple of weeks.

I feel that the only way to handle this is to use common sense, be considerate of others' needs, refrain from going bat-shit crazy, and, most of all, show some trust in, and appreciation for the organizations and people doing their best to get us all through this. Nobody's perfect, nothing's guaranteed, this ain't a Hollywood movie where everything resolves in 120 minutes.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm lucky enough to work from home. My wife was laid off immediately (temp work).

Allegedly unemployment bennies will show up soon, we shall see.

I miss rides. Yesterday we dropped off a case of beer for a friend who works in hospitals, and got takeout.

overall we're holding up OK with vid calls and daily walks, but I will be grateful to be able to be outside regularly again one day.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I can still go out and ride, but there's nowhere to go because most everything is closed. The highlight of my day is usually standing around in a long line to get into a store to buy something. Then standing in a long line to pay for it. Well, at least the price of gas around here has dropped to below $3 a gallon. Except I don't use much gas these days...sigh.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

We have been self-isolating on our boat in a marina in Jacksonville for a week now and onboard at anchor in the Bahamas for a month prior. I put the Cali Classic on the dock a few days ago for trips to the store but mostly we hang out reading and watching old Brit mystery shows on Prime.

I made some masks from cotton tee shirts and coffee filters and we have a bunch of nitrile gloves that we soak in bleach water and reuse. We wear the masks whenever we are around other people and take them and gloves with us everywhere when we leave the boat. I keep a spray bottle of bleach water in the scooter basket for on the spot sanitizing of packaged purchases.

Top tip: a cycle through the dryer on high heat will kill the virus, no need to wash stuff if not dirty. The heat will sanitize without water.

Over 400 cases in our county and 18 in our zip code.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Babblefish. If you want to start a band and open for the Stones, begin with learning 3 chords (I suggest G, C, and D). They will take you a long way, through hundreds of songs. LOL. I could actually help you a bit with guitar, but teaching yourself is fun, too, and in a way, those beginner days are the most magical.
I'm learning piano on my own and feel more relaxed not having a teacher, but I do have an excellent book to learn from and have a musical background. A lot of people play music, but I'll bet few (including myself) know what a stator is and how it works. For some reason I'm dreading having a "stator" problem with the scooter. lol
Our town is quieter. There are no lines at the stores and few people wear masks. TP is hard to find and I've found no rubbing alcohol to disinfect things. This is a busy time for me growing lots of seedlings for the garden. I ride my scooter, if it's not too cold (we are just warming up), on errands; to get seed potatoes, or this and that. Gas is around $1.70/gallon. I'm miffed that they closed the tennis courts. So few people used them and clearly we are 6' apart. If the water were not so cold, I'd like to take the kayak out on a lake and try fishing. Stay well.
[/quote]
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

We took an across the board pay cut, since the virus outbreak, but we are still working from home.
-if I get laid off, I may grow my hair all crazy and become an Ancient Alien Astronaut Theorist.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:Babblefish. If you want to start a band and open for the Stones, begin with learning 3 chords (I suggest G, C, and D). They will take you a long way, through hundreds of songs. LOL. I could actually help you a bit with guitar, but teaching yourself is fun, too, and in a way, those beginner days are the most magical.
I've already learned 7 cords including those. The problem with me is I can play the cords, but I can never remember which one is which. Lol. The ones I can't do are the barre cords (F?). Finger isn't strong enough, either that or the action on my guitar isn't right. I may have to play around with the neck tension to see if I can get the strings closer to the frets. I also need to practice being able to smoothly switch finger positions. Sigh...old brain, old muscles. Should have started when I was much younger.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:...The ones I can't do are the barre cords (F?). Finger isn't strong enough, either that or the action on my guitar isn't right. I may have to play around with the neck tension to see if I can get the strings closer to the frets.
It's much easier on an electric. Build up your fingers on the acoustic while you self-isolate, then hit a guitar shop and play an electric when the plague eases and you won't believe how easy it is. You'll instantly feel like you are ready to open for The Stones and then Keith Richards can give you some tips, too.

P.S. I'm only half joking about Richards. There is a Youtube video that shows how to play half of his songs with a few chords and associated tricks.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:
babblefish wrote:...The ones I can't do are the barre cords (F?). Finger isn't strong enough, either that or the action on my guitar isn't right. I may have to play around with the neck tension to see if I can get the strings closer to the frets.
It's much easier on an electric. Build up your fingers on the acoustic while you self-isolate, then hit a guitar shop and play an electric when the plague eases and you won't believe how easy it is. You'll instantly feel like you are ready to open for The Stones and then Keith Richards can give you some tips, too.

P.S. I'm only half joking about Richards. There is a Youtube video that shows how to play half of his songs with a few chords and associated tricks.
I've heard that "fretting" with an electric is easier. My plan is to buy a cheap but good electric. Thinking maybe a Harley Benton SC-450 Les Paul copy. They sell for under $200 and have gotten really good reviews.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I learned on, and still play, a nylon string "classical" type guitar. It has a wider neck and I finger pick or strum, but for me it is much easier than the steel string acoustic guitars which also pretty much require a pick to play. I've never felt comfortable with a pick. I was surprised when I took up my husband's electric guitar. It's really fun, fairly easy to "fret" and even I can use the pick to play it. But still, I mostly stick to my nylon string guitar. Guitars are maybe like scooters/motorcycles. There is a size and style that just feels more comfortable and fits the kind of music you have inside.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I really like my guitar, a Seagull that a good friend gave me. Steel strings and has a really good tone. My musical goal is to be able to play folk, blues, and classic rock. I just need more discipline to practice more consistently and a good video or book to guide me. Maybe after all this virus thing passes I can find a real live teacher.