STAW AWAY ! (another I hate California rant)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

STAW AWAY ! (another I hate California rant)

Post by EvilNerdLord »

trust me I live here and want out with all my soul... :cry:

Here's the latest "charge" (tax, fee, toll what ever you want to call it)

https://www.californiaroadchargepilot.com/about/

it states '..to replace the gas tax...'

I say Bull Sugar Honey Ice Tea....it will ALWAYS BE "in addition too".

DON"T MOVE HERE! STAW AWAY! keep your money...

ok, rant over....

don't get me wrong, I love california geographically from being close to both sea and snow, not to cold, not to hot...but it's being strangled by all these utopian mushheads.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Yes sir I hear ya.
I lived in So CA for 16 years. I loved it but eventually the 35 mile drive down I-15 would have killed me (I had various 2-wheeled things). It's probably worse, in the TXTing era, than it was 18 years ago.

SO let's summarize.
People are driving smaller and more efficient cars.
Therefore using less gas.
BUT the cars are lighter? Therefore cause less wear on the roads.

No tax will ever "relieve congestion". More lanes = more capacity. Back to where ya started!

You're correct- it would be an ADDITIONAL tax. Politicians LOVE taxes, which enable them to build empires and wealth for themselves.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Well, I would say it is complicated in California, as it is in most states. Lower federal corporate taxes and higher income taxes mean less revenue and money back to the state.

Here is 46 pages of new deal projects that helped make California great in the first place.
https://livingnewdeal.org/us/ca/

Check out this ol timey vdieo:
https://archive.org/details/CaliforniaRecreation1937

We recently had a great recession but our New Deal gave money to the banks instead of infrastructure projects like the old New Deal.

If you want to blame anyone blame the two parties and them pumping money into assets instead of people that made housing prices skyrocket and these unicorn tech companies to be valued at $30 billion yet have no profit. No to mention the ridiculous pensions rules in Cali.

I think a road tax makes sense in light of all the electric vehicles riding the roads there, but agree they must tie it to an elimination of the gas tax. But that would not mean a reduction in gas taxes as people would be used to the price and the oil companies will us it to their advantage.

And go to Oregon, no sales tax, but try living there. Nightmare.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Better stay away from NJ too. They greatly increased the gas tax a couple of years ago and tried to make it palatable via a small cut in the sales tax. We now have a new governor who wants to eliminate the sales tax cut because, as he said, "the increase will hardly be noticed by the average consumer".

Charge 'em for the lice
Extra for the mice
Two percent for looking in the mirror twice
Here a little slice
There a little cut
Three percent for sleeping with the window shut
When it comes to fixing prices
There are a lot of tricks he knows
How it all increases
All those bits and pieces
Jesus! It's amazing how it grows!

"Master of the House" - Les Miserables
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Taxes are like heroin, to politicians, it's never enough. MORE MORE MORE.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Our taxes used to pay for free state parks. Now we have to pay ever increasing usage fees, yet they never eliminated the original taxes.

Our taxes used to pay for bridge construction and maintenance. Now we have to pay ever increasing tolls, yet they never eliminated the original taxes.

Our taxes used to pay for free wildfire firefighting. Now we have to pay ever increasing wildfire fees, yet they never eliminated the original taxes.

Our taxes used to cover road construction and maintenance. Now we have to pay ever increasing gas, registration, and usage fees, yet they never eliminated the original taxes.

I could go on and on and on, but you get the idea. It literally affects every single aspect of our lives here. The taxes, regulations, compliance, and fees are out of control.

The politicians keep raiding all the protected funds to pay for their pet projects and programs - which is against the law. But no one ever throws the politicians in jail or calls them on it. And they constantly ignore our liabilities on the balance sheet. They are destroying a once wonderful state.

California is out of control, and I'm now looking to leave the state as a result.

This is a political discussion which is against the rules, even if I agree with the sentiment.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Not in my adopted home. They cut taxes here, they cut taxes there. Our governor swore to cut taxes every year in office. Sound good? Not if you're a teacher
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I love my adoptive state of California. I recognize that someone has to pay for public works and we've had very few tax increases of the "normal" type for decades. Gas taxes are measly and do not pay for road repairs that are desperately needed. I also want gas/usage taxes to go to road repairs only. Now with federal taxes reduced on the top 1 - 0.01%, us middle income people will be paying more for services of all kinds. You can pay now or pay later but everyone must pay. Apparently, except the really wealthy.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Um, yeah. Let's try to stick a little closer to scooters and a little further away from politics.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread calm and civil. I'm locking it up but leaving it in plain site.