Please help scooter won't start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wilmac

Please help scooter won't start

Post by Wilmac »

So 3 days ago I bought a scooter of Craigslist for 50 bucks, more of of just somthing fun to work on, it didn't run and had no body or anything, it's just a peice of junk pretty much :lol: I managed to get it running and it was just fun to rip around on it. The next day it won't start I'm not sure why, it doesn't have an electric start just a kick and originally I got it running by putting a drill on the fly wheel and just going at it. The spark is good I've got fuel goin through fine and I cleaned out the carb twice. When I got it running it was starting first kick every time, then the next day boom nothing.

It's just some cheap chinease scooter I think it's a tao tao and it's 4 stroke
I'd really love to get it running again any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

If pictures are needed I can post some but it's not a pretty sight lol
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

It won't start now with the drill on the flywheel trick? Are you absolutely 100% certain that you still have spark and gas?
Wilmac

Post by Wilmac »

jrsjr wrote:It won't start now with the drill on the flywheel trick? Are you absolutely 100% certain that you still have spark and gas?
Yes checked both like 3 times.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

gas cap venting properly?...loosen it a little and give it a try...fuel filter or fuel screen clogged?...carb float have a hole in it?...float spring ok?...needle valve installed correctly?...jet holes clogged?...regap the plug?...try ether in the intake?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

How are you checking that you have gas? Are you checking the flow to the carb at the fuel line, or are you smelling it at the spark plug hole? How did you get it running? Did you do a complete carb clean, or just spray out the bowl? Details details details.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Stanza wrote:How are you checking that you have gas? Are you checking the flow to the carb at the fuel line, or are you smelling it at the spark plug hole? How did you get it running? Did you do a complete carb clean, or just spray out the bowl? Details details details.
^^^what he said...need to know exactly what you did...provide more info for better recommendations
Wilmac

Post by Wilmac »

Stanza wrote:How are you checking that you have gas? Are you checking the flow to the carb at the fuel line, or are you smelling it at the spark plug hole? How did you get it running? Did you do a complete carb clean, or just spray out the bowl? Details details details.
Yes to check fuel I'm checking the flow to the carb at the line, opened up crab sprayed it out and made sure jets wernt clogged cleaned them out. Originally I get it running I went through the basics, checked spark, got fuel running through, and then just put a drill on the fly wheel and it started right up. Then for the rest of the day it would start first kick and run great. The next day nothing even with the drill it just sounds like it's not even trying to start up. I'm completely stumped on what could have chaned in 12 hours to where t won't start now.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

With a 2-stroke motor, if you have spark and gas and compression, you should have combustion. Please don't be offended. I'm not doubting you, but sometimes when I see things for myself, it makes it easier to troubleshoot. Can you arrange a way to do a Youtube video that shows your spark test? Maybe have somebody video a 5-10 second closeup of the spark plug sparking while you do the spin-the-flywheel-with-the-drill thing? Post that somewhere easy to get to like Youtube or Facebook. Thanks.

Again, please don't be offended, but I'm stumped, too. As I said to begin, with a 2-Stroke motor, if you have gas, spark and compression, you should have combustion of some kind. From your description, it sounds like you have NO COMBUSTION, not even a hint, and that is totally not right.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

did you break the flywheel key?...stuck valve/valve cover dented?...timing chain/belt?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Point37 wrote:did you break the flywheel key?...stuck valve/valve cover dented?...timing chain/belt?
The Buddy 50 is a 2-Stroke, so none of the valve problems, timing chain, and all that, because the B50 motor doesn't have them. That's why I am beginning to suspect compression, but I've been fooled so many times before by ignition that I want to see a good spark before jumping to another step.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

jrsjr wrote:
Point37 wrote:did you break the flywheel key?...stuck valve/valve cover dented?...timing chain/belt?
The Buddy 50 is a 2-Stroke, so none of the valve problems, timing chain, and all that, because the B50 motor doesn't have them. That's why I am beginning to suspect compression, but I've been fooled so many times before by ignition that I want to see a good spark before jumping to another step.
he said it was a tao tao 4 stroke...not a buddy
Wilmac

Post by Wilmac »

Point37 wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
he said it was a tao tao 4 stroke...not a buddy
Yeah it's a 4 stoke. As an update : I went out and bought a new dork plug just in case I got t in then my friend went to kick start it and slammed down on t and really messed somthing up. So I opended up the belt compartment and ow when the fly wheel is spun it's no longer hooked up to the engine or somthing I'm completely in over my head after this mess up and I'm not sure what to do.
Wilmac

Post by Wilmac »

For some reason I can't post pictures BECUASE the images are more than 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels high how can I reformat them?
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Wilmac wrote:For some reason I can't post pictures BECUASE the images are more than 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels high how can I reformat them?
https://imgur.com/ works great for posting images here.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Open in Microsoft photo editor if you have it and export to the size you want
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It could be a ton of stuff, fuel, carb, timing, plug, valves etc etc. I would suspect electrical wiring...but I could be way off.

For me...it's a TaoTao...Take it apart to see how everything works together then trash it.

I understand fully the fun of getting a motor running again, however coming in and asking for help on something like this is kinda like when my wife decides to do a home improvement project...her project becomes my project.

I'm more than willing to help people that have problems with their scooters, but trying to diagnose a problem over the internet with a motor that is quite sketchy new and you have only had for 3 days...I will leave to others.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:It could be a ton of stuff, fuel, carb, timing, plug, valves etc etc. I would suspect electrical wiring...but I could be way off.
^^^this...all of these single lung scooters are similar...and all small engine work in general is similar...your best bet is to search the internet to see if you can find someone having a similar problem on a forum and read...other than that you have to go through a checklist which typically starts with the easiest things to test/fix and move on to the harder things
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The rear pulley and clutch bell will spin freely. Hopefully that's the one you're talking about? If the front pulley is not connected anymore, and rotating freely, or wobbling around, you have bigger problems. Maybe make a short youtube video of the symptoms and the parts that are potentially broken? Hard to provide much beyond wild guessing without seeing the problem in action