Best Light Bulbs for Wiring Running/Dead Lights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PistolPete7390

Best Light Bulbs for Wiring Running/Dead Lights

Post by PistolPete7390 »

I have a 07 Buddy 125 Italia and looking to wire up the Dead lights in the front to run full time with the head light. Everywhere I read suggests a different bulb so you don't drain the battery.

What are some bulbs people prefer that won't affect the battery and will help light the road with the head light?

Thank you! Happy Scooting!
MYSCTR

LED LIGHTS

Post by MYSCTR »

These are the actual LED bulbs we are running from https://www.superbrightleds.com They have super fast shipping.

Front Blinkers Amber 1156 LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Tower (Part Number: 1156-A18-T)
Rear Blinkers Amber 1156 LED Bulb w/ Removable Lens - 3 High Power LED (Part Number: 1156-A3X1W)

Note: Our set up includes the new plug and play (perfect fit) blinker relay from ThatVWBusGuy (no need for resistors)
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic28661.html

Deadlights converted to Cool White LED running lights 1156 LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Tower (Part Number: 1156-CW18-T)

Use the plug and play adapter found here:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic28530.html

If you decide to just add the deadlights as additional blinkers keeping the Amber bulbs (or using LED Amber bulbs), use this adapter:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic28600.html

Personal Take:
~The front blinkers are awesome! The tower really reflects every which way, very strong instant light when blinking, no problem being seen.
~The rear blinkers are surprisingly bright mainly to the rear with no reflection from the socket due to the style of bulb, yet from the rear is where you will want it seen. We tried three bulbs to find the one that would lock in place and not be too tall keeping the lens cover from fitting. Seems to be a good choice until someone else finds something better.
~The deadlight adapter to the Cool White is killer! Really adds to the headlamp, love the WHITE hue it gives off for both the rider and traffic. Had my wife follow me home about midnight Friday night and for the first time in 7 years, I could easily see her clearly down the street as she chased me. Love it! If you choose to run the deadlights as blinkers, just get more Amber LED's or leave them incandescent as the new relay will allow to you to mix them.
Note: some bulbs require a bit of finesse, gently wiggling while pulling to get out and then nudging to get them to lock into position. once done they have worked great for us.

We also run the Back Off Brake mod on all our (newer) scoots & have upgraded the headlamp bulb to the PIAA 70856 H4 Xtreme White Antivibration 60/55 Watt = 110/100 Watt Bulb.

Ok - really hard to see - it was dark - yet here is a shot at the standard vs LED bulbs in three configurations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvj4mp ... load_owner

Each scooter starts, drives away and then comes back to park.
eggsalad

Re: Best Light Bulbs for Wiring Running/Dead Lights

Post by eggsalad »

*Most* LED bulbs that fit the socket are going to have a low enough amperage draw that they'll be fine in terms of not taxing your electrical system.

When I did my deadlight conversion, I literally bought the cheapest LED "bulbs" that would fit the socket. $2/pair, shipped from China on eBay. They're fine for what they do, but if you look too closely, they *look* like the cheapest LED bulbs I could buy :D

If you want what is generally considered to be the best LED "bulb" for your deadlights, look to the Sylvania ZEVO line.
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

Been years since I've been on this forum. Hope all are doing well.

I've had LED bulbs running my dead lights as DRLs. I bought the harness years ago that connect right to the dead lights. I now want to remove the DOT lights hanging below the handlebars. I can easily unplug the DRL connector for the turn signal connector and now they're turn signals only. But I'd like them to work as both DRL and turn signals.

Anyone have an idea on how to achieve that? The connector and DRL connector are both 2 wire. But to make this work I would somehow have to make it a 3 wire?
rottekatz

Post by rottekatz »

TCaruso - You have to change the bulb holder from an 1156 to an 1157. I'll get it figured out and post pics of the harness and parts list once my wife gets her Buddy.
ClarenceBranch

Post by ClarenceBranch »

Hello, PistolPete7390! Well, in your situation, I recommend you think about trying the smart light bulbs as the primary bulbs in your helmet. Today is a wide range of those presented on the online markets, so it will be no problem finding a better one for your situation. My friend installed the smart light bulbs on his helmet, and they are working perfectly. If you wish, I can ask him to bring some details and suggestions to help you to set things in the right way.