New or used?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Aloha Joe

New or used?

Post by Aloha Joe »

I'm moving to Oahu in a week. The dealer has new Hooligans for $3600 OTD, or a used one (rental) with 8,000 miles for $2600. Is that a lot of miles for these machines? Does that seem expensive?

This will be main source of transportation. I really wanted a Buddy 170 (mostly for front basket, and to hide among the 50cc Buddies on the sidewalk) but they're not available the end of year shipment and I'd prefer not to buy new.

(Edit: was considering 50cc for commuting purposes, but I want something I can take anywhere and 50cc can't keep up with traffic around the tip of the island).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Last edited by Aloha Joe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clydeo

50 in paradise

Post by Clydeo »

If the speed limits where you would be riding are 35 mph or so, I would think that a 50 cc scooter would be fine. With the price of fuel in the islands I would think that fuel mileage would be a primary consideration. Good luck with your move!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 8,000 miles, the dealer should have service records showing at least 2 valve adjustments, 4 oil changes, 4 spark plugs, 2 gear oil changes, air filter clean and replace and depending on the age, brake pads and fluid flush bleed. AND it should recently have a new belt, rollers and clutch service. If the scooter was well maintained, 8,000 miles is about 1/5 of the scooters life span. $2,600 is about a 28% discount over the new scooter. Can you get them to lower the price of the new scooter? 8,000 hard miles by tourists who have no reason not to beat the rental to death is a pretty big unknown.
skipper20

Re: New or used?

Post by skipper20 »

Aloha Joe wrote:I'm moving to Oahu in a week. The dealer has new Hooligans for $3600 OTD, or a used one (rental) with 8,000 miles for $2600. Is that a lot of miles for these machines? Does that seem expensive?

This will be main source of transportation. I really wanted a Buddy 170 (mostly for front basket, and to hide among the 50cc Buddies on the sidewalk) but they're not available the end of year shipment and I'd prefer not to buy new.

(Edit: was considering 50cc for commuting purposes, but I want something I can take anywhere and 50cc can't keep up with traffic around the tip of the island).

Thanks for any thoughts!
I agree with DeeDee. 8,000 miles put on by rental customers are going to be VERY hard miles. Bite the bullet and spend an extra $1000 for a new, non-abused Hooligan with full warranty protection.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I thought 8,000 rental miles sounded like a lot, too. I started looking at prices for replacement parts and it's not too hard to spend $1000. One thing I liked about the Hooligan I rented (not many miles) was the suspension. I don't want to spend $2600 and feel like I need to overhaul the shocks and forks.

I'll ask if the price is firm. I read that there's not much margin on Genuine scoots so not much hope in haggling new prices. But I can ask about the rental. Also since they get limited shipments and sell everything they order, supply and demand isn't in my favor.

I'm selling my motorcycle to help offset the cost of a new Genuine scoot. I was hoping for a Buddy but they won't be available until end of the year. I thought a Buddy would blend in better on the sidewalk but honestly I like the Hooligan better (despite no front storage rack).
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I said I'd ask, then proceeded to call and make a deposit on a 2018 Hooligan :) I guess I knew what I wanted...
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Aloha Joe wrote:I said I'd ask, then proceeded to call and make a deposit on a 2018 Hooligan :) I guess I knew what I wanted...
Good move and congrats on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. A Hooligan is what every Buddy aspires to be. As far as a front rack is concerned, not a problem. If you need extra storage, consider a pair of cloth saddlebags. I have them on mine and they work perfectly.

Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

Thanks, I'm psyched! I didn't realize the Buddy had shorter wheelbase, smaller wheels, and drum brake. I really liked the handling of the Hooligan and wouldn't want to change anything... well... I've been looking at Titanium Gray body panels!! They only had white. But I'll try to wait :)

Here's a pic of my 'island transportation' from this past September:
Attachments
island transportation.jpg
island transportation.jpg (191.09 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

skipper20 wrote:
Aloha Joe wrote: A Hooligan is what every Buddy aspires to be.

What?! No...
Buddies love being Buddies!
Attachments
rsz_img_3492_2.jpg
rsz_img_3492_2.jpg (163.63 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
rsz_img_3483_1.jpg
rsz_img_3483_1.jpg (111.76 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Christophers

Re: 50 in paradise

Post by Christophers »

Clydeo wrote:If the speed limits where you would be riding are 35 mph or so, I would think that a 50 cc scooter would be fine. With the price of fuel in the islands I would think that fuel mileage would be a primary consideration.
We've seen zero to minimal fuel milage advantage to the Buddy 50 versus the Buddy 125 - maybe 1-3 mpg more on the 50 vs 125 if one is being very conservative in how one rides the 50 (less than we see between the 125 vs the 150, which is more like 4-5 mpg).

I suspect this is because the 50 is running WOT so much more of the time just to (try to) keep up with traffic, whereas WOT on the Buddy 125 is just indulgent/showing off. As a consequence, the 125 ends up being nearly equivalent in fuel economy while holding onto the advantage of being a 125 in the situations in which it needs to be.
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I was getting around 85mpg with the rented Hooligan shown above. Considering I had more than enough speed and acceleration for any situation off the highway I am more than happy with 85mpg.

50cc wouldn't cut it on the road around the tip of the island (50s have to pull to the shoulder to let cars by, and its a windy (well, windy (blowing air) AND windy (curvy), hilly road on the edge between a mountain and the ocean.

This is where I would not want to be on a 50cc scoot, even though it's 'legal'.
Attachments
72a.JPG
72a.JPG (62.91 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
HanShan

Re: New or used?

Post by HanShan »

Aloha Joe wrote:I'm moving to Oahu in a week. The dealer has new Hooligans for $3600 OTD, or a used one (rental) with 8,000 miles for $2600. Is that a lot of miles for these machines? Does that seem expensive?

Thanks for any thoughts!

On Oahu you want a Hooligan and not a 50cc. It is not so much about keeping up with traffic as it is that people can be lacking aloha to people on 50's. I lived on the Big Island and used a friends 50 and it was a terror. Shit thrown at me, called a drunk, etc. Much worse than the mainland. Plus there are some killer hills on Oahu: https://www.hbl.org/resources/oahu-hill-climbs/

As for new or used. I have a tendency, if I can afford it, to buy new. The money is just worth mitigating any small risk, but that is just the person I am.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That looks great in white. I've only seen them in the dark color. The Buddy 170i is basically the same size as the 50cc. Great scooter, but no beef for sure.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Christophers wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

What?! No...
Nice. I like that white speed stripe on the seat. Is it painted on or?

'15 170i Hooligan 170i Titanium
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I really like the white color. Better than just dark. It must be fun taking winding roads along the ocean. Be safe and enjoy.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

skipper20 wrote:
Nice. I like that white speed stripe on the seat. Is it painted on or?

'15 170i Hooligan 170i Titanium
Cheeky Seats
https://scooterseatcovers.net
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

You guys are making me feel better about the white :)

The 170 is a blast for that island. The 50 was fun for local commuting but took a beating trying to get around the island.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Looks like a bad ass version of the Asian Zuma 125.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-02-23 at 1.54.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-02-23 at 1.54.01 PM.png (179.19 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

Actually that thing looks pretty badass! Don't get me second guessing my Genuine! Honestly I don't need a project bike for my sole transportation - otherwise I'd have gone with a TaoTao :)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

My Buddy is very happy and confident with itself as a Buddy, and so am I. Really... Ten inch wheels are big enough for a secure Buddy. Really... Buddy doesn't need to be bigger than 245 pounds to feel complete. Really...
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

GregsBuddy wrote:My Buddy is very happy and confident with itself as a Buddy, and so am I. Really... Ten inch wheels are big enough for a secure Buddy. Really... Buddy doesn't need to be bigger than 245 pounds to feel complete. Really...
LOL
Are you drunk posting?
Totally OK if you are.
In fact, you should be. It's Friday evening. ;)
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Christophers wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

What?! No...

Nice exhaust. Is it custom? Cone engineering?
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

lovemysan wrote:
Christophers wrote:
What?! No...

Nice exhaust. Is it custom? Cone engineering?
Thanks.
I'm really happy with it! It's a true performance exhaust and at the same time takes weight off the swing arm and vastly improves lean angle clearance.

It's made by GTM (GuzziTech Motocycles) http://gtmotocycles.com, but it is "custom" fit for my bike because the header pipe had to be made slightly longer in order to fit the Ruima 4V head (which is slightly taller than the stock OEM head or the NCY or Scooterworks Big Valve 2V heads) which moves the exhaust port slightly forward.