Luggage ideas for scuba gear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Aloha Joe

Luggage ideas for scuba gear?

Post by Aloha Joe »

I've been searching for luggage systems for the Genuine family (Buddy) but haven't found much besides the small front and rear racks.

I'm trying to come up with a system to load my scuba gear (basically a 60-70L duffel bag). It seems like the best option is to get the rear rack and lay the bag half on the seat and half on the rack. But I thought I'd ask if you had any better ideas or experience.

Thanks,
Joe
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't think the rear rack can handle that much weight. I'd think a trailer or side mount of some kind might work better. I've seen surfboard racks for Buddy's. Perhaps some adaptation of one of those might work.

The only other option I can think of is a backpack system that partially rests on the seat behind you might work.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yeah, the rear luggage rack isn't up to that. Something will break and maybe lead to the loss of your SCUBA gear. I regularly run a "Bikers Friend" on my scooter which sits on the passenger seat but I checked and the largest one they make is only about 34L, so not big enough for you. That basically leaves you with strapping your bag across the passenger seat. I don't like that idea because I would be afraid it would somehow get unbalanced and slip off one way or the other. This is based mostly on my Cannonball experience where I learned that anything which is not securely bolted to a scooter can and will fall off at the most inopportune time.

Honestly, a scooter may not be the best way to haul that gear. I think I would play it safe and catch a ride with somebody else or Uber it to the beach rather than risk my SCUBA gear that way. Sorry, maybe somebody else has a better idea, but carrying large loads is a perennial problem with scooters (and motorcycles).
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clydeo

Scooter scuba

Post by Clydeo »

I used to carry my snorkeling gear on an old Honda 100, and have thought about using my Buddy to haul my camping and snorkeling gear to the shore next summer, so I found this question to be of interest. The only solution I could come up with would be for short distances only:
- your wet suit, mask, snorkel, dive bag,flippers, etc. in a milk crate mounted on your rear rack. The milk crate is perfect for hauling water related stuff, because the wind Created by your moving scooter will dry things out. The sand will then just fall off. And, when you get home, you can wash the salt off your stuff while it is still in the crate (to a certain degree).
- the diving weights in a bag in front of the seat. Down low and near the center of the scoot.
- the tank(s) on your back. This may not even work, but it is the only place I can think of. It would be uncomfortable for certain. It might work for a few miles. I would definitely try it out in an empty parking lot.

I think that the above system MIGHT work. It would certainly work with snorkeling gear.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The Prima front rack is much more robust than the rear rack. You're limited to the size you can carry on it. The rear rack frame mounts, and the rear rack themselves are prone to fail. I don't understand Genuine's addition of a back rest on that crappy rear rack.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I think you will need to wear the tanks while you ride.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Mocha Guy 70

SCUBA gEAR

Post by Mocha Guy 70 »

Can't you stand the tank(s) up on the deck in front of the seat between your knees? Distribute everything else in front & back racks, under and on the seat and in a backpack.

I don't dive, but maybe if I help you with this, you'll help me with my kayak!
I'm old, and I've been paying attention.
EricV

Post by EricV »

These carriers are designed for delivery boxes, and while I'm a US dealer for this brand, none of these will fit the Genuine Buddy, but they may give you some ideas. Much of the rest of the world uses scooters for basic life and lots of delivery.

https://rumbux.com/product-category/yam ... ery-bikes/
Clydeo

Scuba tank carrier for scooters

Post by Clydeo »

I just happened to see this video on the Mitches Scooter Stuff you tube channel

https://youtu.be/9zqBlFSHs-Q

It might be helpful