Greetings from MV member

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Purzell

Greetings from MV member

Post by Purzell »

Hello all: I spend time over on Modern Vespa and ADV Rider under the same user name. I have two scooters: 1985 Honda Elite 250 and 2012 Vespa GTS 300.
My good friend is in the market for a Buddy so we've done some lurking here, to learn stuff about Buddys, and I think she's made a good choice.
Could I get your opinions on this:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/6048627276.html

I hope it is not in poor form to drop in and immediately ask about a scooter for sale.
In any case we are in Sacramento so any leads on nice Buddys in the area are welcome. She prefers baby blue, seafoam or pink.

Thank you all!
Liz
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Looks clean. I'd ask about the service records and see if you could test ride it.
Purzell

Post by Purzell »

Are the checkered stripes an add on? Does anyone know if they came on this model as an option from Genuine?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Stripes added on. Not an option from Genuine.

Black head of scooter is not-stock. Stock Genuine would match the "seafoam" green paint on the rest of the scooter.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Purzell

black headset

Post by Purzell »

Thanks for pointing that out. I consider that a red flag for a scooter with under 1000 miles. I think we will keep looking.
Syd

Re: black headset

Post by Syd »

Purzell wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. I consider that a red flag for a scooter with under 1000 miles. I think we will keep looking.
I agree, take care with this one.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:
Purzell wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. I consider that a red flag for a scooter with under 1000 miles. I think we will keep looking.
I agree, take care with this one.
How about this one? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/6055340920.html
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Purzell

Post by Purzell »

I have determined this to be from the same seller, a dealer Mr. Scooter. This one looks like it's been down on the side, and my friend doesn't like the color anyhow, so we'll keep looking.
Our local dealer has a seafoam Buddy 125 she likes, brand new, no special deal, but we might go check it out over the weekend. I don't see many used Buddys around here, and I spend alot, honestly too much time looking at scooters on Craigslist. :)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

I don't see it as a red flag. Yes, the checkers and the black paint on the headlight housing, which should be seafoam green, are customized but they look to be professionally done. To me, it makes for a nice contrast. I like it! The 964 miles are a plus and the seller says it's been serviced. If it were me, I'd check it out and ask to see the service records. Test ride it too if that's possible. If you like it, make an offer. The asking price is a bit spendy but still quite a bit less than new and again, 964 miles. If it has indeed been serviced and it looks new, it may be something you should seriously consider. The 170i fuel injected engine, without the hassle of a carburetor if you're not into doing your own wrenching, is a definite plus.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 3/30)
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I also do not see this as a red flag. Most scooters here have a little something done to them to make it their own. I do agree that the price is on the high side. For comparison, I picked up my 2014 170i with 2000 miles for $1200 but I also bought it in the middle of a snow storm. That's a great time to buy these things so take your perfect, warm and sunny weather California and stick it where the sun don't shine! (For those who don't know, that would be Rochester, NY. Honestly California, stick your perfect weather here.)

The second scooter is definitely overpriced for the miles and condition.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I agree with you and Syd on this one. I also consider this a red flag. Something undisclosed has been done to this scooter and who knows what else - or why!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Notice the black rear rack - all this needs is the black out kit to finish the look. No red flags here. A personalized scoot. If unsure take it to your local dealer on a test ride and have them look at it. Just set this up in advance so they know you are coming by. They may even know its history. Good luck with your/her search! The weather is about to be perfect for scooter riding !
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

If the Buddy 170 had been dropped and needed repair it probably wouldn't have been the upper plastic that was needing to be replaced. Normally, drop damage would be to the side of the front windshield, around the sides where the front wheel piece joins to the leg shield piece, or damage to the rear, side body panels. Also, oftentimes drops bend the brake levers. If this one had a significant enough drop to warrant replacing the top plastic there would be multiple other problems with the bodywork.

Personally, I would go see it in person, ask about the history of the bike, take it for a spin, then offer them around $1500-1800 and buy it for around $2000.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

cummingsjc wrote:If the Buddy 170 had been dropped and needed repair it probably wouldn't have been the upper plastic that was needing to be replaced. Normally, drop damage would be to the side of the front windshield, around the sides where the front wheel piece joins to the leg shield piece, or damage to the rear, side body panels. Also, oftentimes drops bend the brake levers. If this one had a significant enough drop to warrant replacing the top plastic there would be multiple other problems with the bodywork.

Personally, I would go see it in person, ask about the history of the bike, take it for a spin, then offer them around $1500-1800 and buy it for around $2000.
As far as the drop damage is concerned, I thought she was referring to the 2nd scooter in the 2nd CL link (where her friend didn't like the color) but now it's impossible to tell as both listings have been flagged for removal. Interesting since they were both by the same seller. I wonder if the chatter on this forum lead to their removal. I guess we'll never know.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 3/30)
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Purzell

Post by Purzell »

Maybe so as it is a dealer posting in the By Owner section.
I ender up texting the seller (their preference) and they never replied so...moving on,
Purzell

Another Buddy and Craigslist flakiness

Post by Purzell »

Well we found two more Buddys in the general area and both sellers have requested contact through email, but never reply although the ads are still up.
Craigslist flakiness is tough to handle.

I have gotten some conversation going regarding this one:
Https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/6062060495.html

He says the registration isn't current but hasn't clarified if it's non-op. Also, it has paint dripped on the seat. Oil was changed at 1500 miles.

Thoughts?
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

Looks like a fine scooter. I wouldn't pay more than 1900-2000 for it though. As far as the paint on the seat, it will either clean up easily, wear off or if it bothers you enough, spend $105 for a new one. I would still change the engine oil and filter and the gear oil but that's just me. It's probably more than fine for a while more.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That looks great, I like the color. Hope you're able to work out a deal with the seller.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Purzell

New Seafoam to follow

Post by Purzell »

I really like the color too, but my friend has decided to purchase a brand new Seafoam 125 for herself. Her reason includes the warranty, dealer prep makes sure it's all good, she prefers the option of the kick start. Where we live it is very flat and I think this will be perfect for her. She can afford to buy brand-new and likes the peace of mind that will come with it. So I appreciate everyone's help on this journey and look forward to helping her get on her first scooter, and having a new riding buddy!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Seafoam to follow

Post by jrsjr »

Purzell wrote:I really like the color too, but my friend has decided to purchase a brand new Seafoam 125 for herself. Her reason includes the warranty, dealer prep makes sure it's all good, she prefers the option of the kick start. Where we live it is very flat and I think this will be perfect for her. She can afford to buy brand-new and likes the peace of mind that will come with it. So I appreciate everyone's help on this journey and look forward to helping her get on her first scooter, and having a new riding buddy!
Sounds like a well thought-through decision. Happy Scootering to your friend. Allow me to suggest that they join Modern Buddy and share their experiences.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: New Seafoam to follow

Post by BuddyRaton »

Purzell wrote:I really like the color too, but my friend has decided to purchase a brand new Seafoam 125 for herself. Her reason includes the warranty, dealer prep makes sure it's all good, she prefers the option of the kick start. Where we live it is very flat and I think this will be perfect for her. She can afford to buy brand-new and likes the peace of mind that will come with it. So I appreciate everyone's help on this journey and look forward to helping her get on her first scooter, and having a new riding buddy!
I still thnk a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck. Few people have had to use their warranty but it does give you piece of mind. "Hey if it breaks...they fix it". Half of peace of mind is the peace part, good scooter backed up well.

I like the seafoam color, I had an 09 for a while. Post some photos , send your friend to MB and have fun!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Purzell

Post by Purzell »

Our dealer has the Buddy on the floor but has to order in all the accessories my friend wants: crash bars, top box, cupholder (?), front rack. So as soon as she has it I will post up some pics for her. She's not much of a forum person, but I am and if anything comes up with it I will probably be back here looking for guidance for her.
Most importantly she will be taking the MSF course and they told us she can use her Buddy which is great.
Purzell

Post by Purzell »

We brought home the Buddy 125 on Saturday and...surprise...after a weekend of joy riding, now her partner wants the matte black 170i that was on the showroom floor when we got there. I predict another scooter purchase in a month or so.
I enjoy handing out the Kool Aid, y'all understand. ;)
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Purzell wrote:We brought home the Buddy 125 on Saturday and...surprise...after a weekend of joy riding, now her partner wants the matte black 170i that was on the showroom floor when we got there. I predict another scooter purchase in a month or so.
I enjoy handing out the Kool Aid, y'all understand. ;)
For folks with a "significant someone" in their lives, scooters should always be bought in pairs. It never fails that you partner/spouse/etc will catch the bug after seeing the joy of riding. Dealers should catch on to this and give a two scooter discount!
Purzell

Buddy Eclipse?

Post by Purzell »

Does anyone know if the Buddy Eclipse is still available? Does Genuine put on their website when they come out with a special edition scooter?