Ikea's Sladda bicycle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

Ikea's Sladda bicycle

Post by Tocsik »

Came across an article that Ikea starting selling their bike in the US now. It's certainly not for everyone but I thought I would post this here because of the ingenuity of many forum members. They have accessories that could be adapted to the scoot and be really cool farkles.

It's about $400. Aluminum frame with 2 coats of "lacquer" (?) and weighs 33 pounds. Front disc brake. BELT DRIVE!!
25 year warranty on the frame and 10 year warranty on the belt drive.
That's already a really good deal.
They have this bike bag that converts into a backpack and it's only $30.
The item I thought could be adapted as a cool rear rack on the Buddy is the front rack for the bike. It's only $30.
They sell a sweet trailer to be pulled behind the bike for $130.
It's not much of a "looker" but the trailer makes it pretty sweet.

Sorry if this has been posted already; I searched and didn't see it.
Check it out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30326728/
Attachments
ikea bike.jpg
ikea bike.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 910 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nice!

I can't bring myself to ride bikes in Denver, but the thought rocks.
jimmu

Post by jimmu »

I've had my eye on these and definitely want one. One thing I don't understand is how to change the belt once the time comes. I see that it has an eccentric bottom bracket for tensioning the belt but I do not see a removable chainstay or seatstay. I'm sure that the belt will last a long time if it doesn't dryrot.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Interesting, belt drive on a bicycle. Belts last longer than chains on large heavy cruisers. Large V-twins pound chains & stretch them, belts shrug it off. Last I heard they're good for around 20K miles. No lube or cleaning required. Had a motorcycle with a belt once. After a little initial stretching & adjustment I forgot about it. Just checked it every several months.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Syd

Post by Syd »

It doesn't have as many accessories, but you can get the original Priority bike (aluminum frame, 3-speed, belt drive) mail order for the same $399.
The majority is always sane - Nessus