Thinking about Buying a 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i. Thoughts?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MoniqueKV

Thinking about Buying a 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i. Thoughts?

Post by MoniqueKV »

I am new to this community and to scooters in general. But I am considering purchasing a 2016 Buddy 170i. I originally was looking at a Vespa, but when I sat on it, I could not plant my feet down comfortably. I'm only 5'2". So I searched the Internet for scooters that may be more comfortable for those of us on the shorter side and Buddy was recommended overwhelmingly.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good "starter" scooter for daily commuting of about 12 miles each way?

Also, I'm leaving towards the 170 versus the 125 because I am worried about the speed capacities for commuting when the limit is 40+, any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

All of the Buddy series scooters are great starter scooters for someone just getting started as well as for folks that have been in the community for quite a while. Either the 125 or the 170 would absolutely work for your commuting needs. Many of the folks on here will probably recommend the 125 over the 170 due to the technologically simple engine (carburerated versus fuel injected, slightly better fuel economy, and lower sale price ($2700 vs $3300, I believe). Speed edge probably goes to the 170 (if both are stock) but not by as much as you might think.

Have you sat on a Hooligan? If the height is good for you it has a bit smoother ride than the Buddy scooters due to the longer wheelbase and 12" wheels. My wife is a right at 5' 3" and had no problem with it. Also, don't be afraid of low mileage used 125 and 170 scooters. Their designs really haven't changed much since they were introduced and you can save a good chunk of money by buying a used bike versus new.
Last edited by cummingsjc on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

You can't go wrong with a Buddy. I own a 125 and a 170 as well as a Vespa LX 150. I enjoy riding my Buddies more than my Vespa. Go for it if the price is right.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
skipper20

Re: Thinking about Buying a 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i. Though

Post by skipper20 »

MoniqueKV wrote:I am new to this community and to scooters in general. But I am considering purchasing a 2016 Buddy 170i. I originally was looking at a Vespa, but when I sat on it, I could not plant my feet down comfortably. I'm only 5'2". So I searched the Internet for scooters that may be more comfortable for those of us on the shorter side and Buddy was recommended overwhelmingly.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good "starter" scooter for daily commuting of about 12 miles each way?

Also, I'm leaving towards the 170 versus the 125 because I am worried about the speed capacities for commuting when the limit is 40+, any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
At 5' 2", you've picked the perfect size scooter whether it's a 125, 150 or 170i Buddy. I'd personally go with the 170i as I like fuel injection. It's not that much faster than a 125 or 150 so either of the 3 would be a good pick.
Glendale, CA. I grew up in Glendale. Went to Hoover High School many years ago. How about you?

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My partner is 5'3". She chose a Buddy because she was not comfortable with the seat height of the modern Vespas. She has been riding it for years and remains very pleased with her decision. There is actually not much performance difference between the 125 and the 170i, which makes the 125 an excellent buy. The big difference between the two bikes is fuel injection in the 170i. Many riders consider that a plus, but some regard it as a complication which makes it more difficult to do your own repairs. Your call.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Keep in mind that Scooterworks has a low profile Buddy seat that will get you even lower to the ground:

https://www.scooterworks.com/Seat-Low-P ... -P267.aspx
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I purchased a new 170i so I would have fuel injection. I have been very happy with my Buddy and I would select it again if I were to start over. It is great.

Billy
Argee

Buddy 170i = not for beginners

Post by Argee »

1. Over 200 pounds, hard to wriggle around. You may even have trouble getting it on the center stand, if you modify the suspension (e.g. shorter shock, for lower seat height and better high-speed handling).
2. Auto trans is sensitive at low speeds. You will be off at surprising speed with just a little twist of the throttle. Learn that first 1/8th turn.
3. If you are a beginner, it's not responsive to countersteering until you get going a few mph, so it will take a while to balance it at low speeds. Keep your legs out.
4. You're gonna fall over and scratch it. Buddy is not a Ford, the insurance company will have a hard time valuating it and "total" it for just a few scratches.
5. Front brakes are "grabby", which is a good thing, but not for beginners.
6. If you forget to charge the battery after a long time sitting (beginner move), you can't kick-start it.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have a pretty short inseam myself at 30". The buddy is light and flickable.

If you haven't done so, I certainly can't recommend a beginner Motorcycle course enough. I rode for a while before actually getting the license, and it taught me a ton. I plan to go back and redo it just because, and then take more advanced courses.

the buddy is a great scoot. Opinions vary, but I love the carbed versions for simplicity. Ours don't sit enough to get gummed up, but it's a legitimate concern.

Let us know if we can help otherwise!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

4,500 miles on my purchased-new 170i.
One of the best scoot's I've owned out of ~20. Nice injection, powerful brakes, flick-able handling, light enough to easily move around (~245#'s), reliable and very easy to do regular maintenance. The 170i has an oil cooler that helps lengthen the life of the oil. Of course, IMHO...
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The biggest differences (other than the fuel injection) between a 125 and a 170i are torque and maximum horse power, the 170i having more of both. The benefits of more torque and HP are faster acceleration, can easily handle the addional weight of a passenger or, ahem, heavy rider, and can sustain a higher speed on hills. SOCAL traffic being the way it is, the faster acceleration is useful. Other than that, if you'll mostly be riding solo, and since Glendale doesn't have any hills to speak of, a Buddy 125 is probably a better value in terms of MPG, reliability, serviceabilty, and insurance costs. That's my opinion, anyway.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

k1dude wrote:Keep in mind that Scooterworks has a low profile Buddy seat that will get you even lower to the ground:

https://www.scooterworks.com/Seat-Low-P ... -P267.aspx
I am a 29" inseam and I used this seat and it is WELL worth the money. It gave me confidence to be able to flat foot it and it improved the overall handling characteristics of the scooter.

As a shortie, I would choose a Buddy just because of this option.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

babblefish wrote:The biggest differences (other than the fuel injection) between a 125 and a 170i are torque and maximum horse power, the 170i having more of both. The benefits of more torque and HP are faster acceleration, can easily handle the addional weight of a passenger or, ahem, heavy rider, and can sustain a higher speed on hills. SOCAL traffic being the way it is, the faster acceleration is useful. Other than that, if you'll mostly be riding solo, and since Glendale doesn't have any hills to speak of, a Buddy 125 is probably a better value in terms of MPG, reliability, serviceabilty, and insurance costs. That's my opinion, anyway.
I rode a Buddy 125cc vs a 170cc and the little Buddy was more fun! Zippy, agile, darn fast enough. Same size scooter.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
paige

Post by paige »

They are both good choices.
Are you going to ride every day? The 125 has a carb which can get gunked up if it sits for a while. Those who do their own maintenance are fine with this but it became a problem for me.
The 170 is fuel injected. Marginally higher cost to buy and maintain but very reliable.
If you can afford it, I would suggest choosing the 170.
Mikestib1

125 or 170

Post by Mikestib1 »

If you ride the 125 regularly or add fuel stabilizer when it sits, go for the 125. I bought a new 170i but since it had been sitting at the dealer for a couple of years it was the same price as a 125. The fuel injection is awesome. My 170 starts immediately whether it's 40 degrees or 90 . Idles perfectly and never stalls. The 125 has no oil cooler but has a spin on oil filter and they seem to run forever with good oil and regular service. The 170 oil cooler sits really low and even with the steel guard can easily hit the curb. The 170 battery must be at at least 12.8 volts to power the fuel pump and ECU. It won't start with a low battery and unlike the 125 has no kick starter for back up. I think the 125 is a better buy, either way this time of year don't pay extra for freight and service. Scooter and motorcycle sales are weak this year so don't hesitate to discount. Buy one or the other and enjoy it!
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

paige wrote:They are both good choices.
Are you going to ride every day? The 125 has a carb which can get gunked up if it sits for a while. Those who do their own maintenance are fine with this but it became a problem for me.
The 170 is fuel injected. Marginally higher cost to buy and maintain but very reliable.
The OP bought a Buddy 125 Eclipse model scooter as per this thread:
topic30220.html
MoniqueKV

Post by MoniqueKV »

[quote="cummingsjc"][quote="paige"]They are both good choices.
If you can afford it, I would suggest choosing the 170.[/quote]

topic30220.html[/quote]

I did end up getting the Buddy 125 Eclipse and I have been riding pretty regularly (weather and my meeting schedule permitting) since I took and completed the motorcycle safety class. I am really enjoying it. But must admit, I still find myself looking at the Buddy Kick and wondering when it will be available in California? I may have to trade in my Eclipse. :P
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

MoniqueKV wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:
paige wrote:They are both good choices.
topic30220.html
I did end up getting the Buddy 125 Eclipse and I have been riding pretty regularly (weather and my meeting schedule permitting) since I took and completed the motorcycle safety class. I am really enjoying it. But must admit, I still find myself looking at the Buddy Kick and wondering when it will be available in California? I may have to trade in my Eclipse. :P
If the Buddy Kick ever comes to California you should keep the Eclipse 125 and loan it to a friend or significant other. Riding is always more fun with a friend. 😊
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

cummingsjc wrote: If the Buddy Kick ever comes to California you should keep the Eclipse 125 and loan it to a friend or significant other. Riding is always more fun with a friend. 😊
Is it not available in California already? I thought I saw a CARB cert somewhere on mine....
Syd

Post by Syd »

PhillyKick wrote:
cummingsjc wrote: If the Buddy Kick ever comes to California you should keep the Eclipse 125 and loan it to a friend or significant other. Riding is always more fun with a friend. 😊
Is it not available in California already? I thought I saw a CARB cert somewhere on mine....
You may well have, but Genuine has a history of not making California Smog Regs on arrival testing.
The majority is always sane - Nessus