BUDDY 125 v. 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

smithbaltimore

BUDDY 125 v. 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125

Post by smithbaltimore »

After some agony, I just made a purchase decision on a new Yamaha Zuma 125. Before this, I owned a 2006 Buddy 125 for ten years. In those ten years I put in a new starter and carburetor as necessary repairs -- and had no maintenance issues at all for first six years straight. Loved the Buddy, but BALTIMORE roads suck and it was a bit of a rough ride at times, especially at night. Still I put on a great, exciting, rewarding 12,500 miles.

I sold the Buddy for $500.00 on craigslist. (Below market value, I'm told.)

With the ZUMA I am expecting a more plush, smooth ride from a bike that is 40LLBs heavier with a better suspension. I think acceleration will be similar and ZUMA a little less "fun" but more stable.

I left Genuine for closer local dealer support here in Baltimore MD.

I liked how Yamaha redesigned the Zuma in 2016. I have never driven a fuel injected scooter with twin shocks in the back and front and rear disk brakes.

I will report driving impression after I get the bike. Part of me is sad, part of me feels that I am defecting to the dark side of a motorcycle brand that treats scooters like step children.

The new ZUMA is not cheap ($4,300 out the door) but I get to stay small, light, maneuverable, and comfy on a local dealer supported ride. I was very torn between this and the Buddy 170 and Hooligan, but I decided I could sacrifice some top end speed for my 95% urban riding.

In general I prefer small and quick v. big, heavy, and fast. To me the ZUMA kind of splits the difference between the BUDDY 125 and heftier scooters like the Hooligan, PCX150, and SMAX.

My first choice was to get a Piaggio FLY 150, but the Vespa dealer here is folding up its operations. Motostrada, the Genuine Dealer, closed last summer.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

In my opinion, Yamaha leads the way when it comes to developing scooter technology. Honda is pretty close behind except that Honda tends to keep the same design a decade or more before coming out with something new. Keep in mind, all of the other manufacturers are living in the past. The GY6 variant engine that is used in the Buddy, Hooligan, etc etc was designed by Honda in the 1980's and haven't progressed much since then. That design is upwards of 35yrs old. It's like if Ford would only upgrade the bodies of their cars and kept the engine from 1986.

The US market is pretty dry when it comes to scooters, but you better believe that Yamaha sells scooters like hotcakes around the world.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

There are tons of aftermarket items for the Yamaha also. I'm not sure how the stock shocks are, but upgrading them does wonders for your handling.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
smithbaltimore

Post by smithbaltimore »

dasscooter wrote:In my opinion, Yamaha leads the way when it comes to developing scooter technology.
Well the ZUMA is the highest priced 125 around when the dealers add 20% on to the MRSP. One could jump up in CCs in other brands. But the 2016 Zuma does feature fuel injection, 12 inch wheels - more stable, two rear shocks, and front and rear disc brakes.

The 2016 redesign makes it looks sharp as opposed to BUG EYED.

The Blur and Hooligan looked like very seductive, powerful options, but in and around Baltimore City, the Buddy 125 gave me all that I needed. Its only the rare, short freeway jumps in the right lane where I wanted more speed and stability. (There is a central Highway, 83, the bifurcates the city and runs N-S. Sometimes I jump on it one way or the other.)

But to me Parking the Blur or the Hooligan and keeping it around the city would be more difficult with their bigger sizes and weights.
smithbaltimore

Post by smithbaltimore »

FromHereToThere wrote:There are tons of aftermarket items for the Yamaha also. I'm not sure how the stock shocks are, but upgrading them does wonders for your handling.
What do you think of simply adding a performance exhaust pipe?
FromHereToThere

smithbaltimore wrote:
FromHereToThere wrote:There are tons of aftermarket items for the Yamaha also. I'm not sure how the stock shocks are, but upgrading them does wonders for your handling.
What do you think of simply adding a performance exhaust pipe?
Well that may require re-mapping the EFI, but go for it. And exhaust alone won't add power really, just a cool noise. Honestly, the rear shock upgrade would be my choice as a daily rider. You will carve the curves much better.
smithbaltimore

Post by smithbaltimore »

I just got the 2016 ZUMA 125 today and rode it home. Its not fully broken in yet, but I have a good sense of how it differs from the BUDDY 125.

ZUMA 125

(1) Higher build quality
(2) Better Suspension
(3) Better Breaking
(4) Quieter engine -- you almost can't hear it
(5) Better side view mirrors
(6) Digital Gauge
(7) More under seat storage
*8* Higher ground clearance
(9) Much better turning capabilities
(10) Easier to put stand down (the main one, not the side kick stand)
(11) No oil filter and recommended oil changes after 1,800 miles
(12) Air filter gets replaced, not cleaned.
(13) Locking ignition hole so thieves can't tamper with your ignition.
(14) Has a tachometer and clock.
(15) Features two headlights in front (one is a high beam) and a third front light to help identify the vehicle at night as a motorcycle and not a cyclops car.

-----

BUDDY 125

(1) Quicker acceleration
(2) More road feel
(3) More personality
(4) Better wider hand grips

As everyone knows, the Buddy 125 is substantially cheaper $$$ out the door costing about $825.00 less.
Last edited by smithbaltimore on Thu May 26, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FromHereToThere

Thanks for the input, but I would rather HAVE an oil filter.