Waves from motorcyclists

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike932

Waves from motorcyclists

Post by mike932 »

This is the scooter I used to have......
When I rode that scooter, most motorcyclists waved at me. Now that I have a red Buddy, I very rarely get waves. Just an observation.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I get an occasional wave on the Buddy or my Metro. I noticed that riders in groups never wave, only solo riders. I always wave to scooter riders no matter what I'm riding because they're rare where I live. I see about 1 a month.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Rivas are old school cool! Here in VA we scooter riders get waves from pretty much any motorcycle rider. At work, we got everything from full custom bar hoppers, super bikes, ADV riders and scooters. I will ride my wifes Spyder one day and my wifes old powder blue Buddy 125 the next, and of course I get teased all in good fun!
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I can't think of why switching to the red buddy would make a difference. My buddy is black (got it used); I secretly would rather have a red one, but still love my black one.

What I have noticed is that it is usually older motorcyclists who wave to me, not the young guys/gals. I really appreciate the wave.
Rarely see a scooter in my town.
sem65

Post by sem65 »

Where I live, it appears that there are many more scooters than motorcycles. They are extremely popular and every time I'm out, in the car or on the scooter, I see large numbers of scooters. No one waves. And that includes both scooters and motorcycles. And quite frankly, in my location, I prefer it that way! Heck, I could get tennis elbow if we all waved!! :lol: I can't comment about waving to scooters where I used to live up north, as I didn't ride one, and rarely saw any (mid_Ohio country). I rode motorcycles up there, and most did wave.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I'm in California and I wave at all scooters when I'm riding my motorcycle, but then I might be prejudiced. :D
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Tazio wrote:I'm in California and I wave at all scooters when I'm riding my motorcycle, but then I might be prejudiced. :D
do most of them wave back?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

My experience in California was that most folks on two wheeled vehicles either waved at me while I was on my scooter or at least waved back at me when I waved at them first (I tried to wave at everyone). I only felt truly disrespected by motorcyclists on a few occasions.

The don't wave anywhere near as much in Louisiana which is ironic since New Orleans has tons of scooters and motorcycles. Most of the scooter folks that I see around have them purely for utilitarian reasons and are not versed in two-wheeled culture (with many of those same folks not actually having appropriate riding licences).

My limited riding experience in Texas (riding the Three Twisted Sisters out in the Texas Hill Country) was very pleasant with a majority of motorcycle riders returning waves.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

I get more waves while riding the Roughhouse than Buddy. Sportier look I guess. I'll wave at all MCs the next week or so and report back.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Most wave. Since most of my rides, scooter or Ural are on twisty turns or in traffic, sometimes I can't wave and/or the others can't or won't. With the Ural especially, it often takes three arms to keep it under control.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Could be the time frame, Mike.

When I started riding a decade ago people would wave; motorcyclist were more rare.

Now, with so many riders it's just not cool to wave anymore. I never see a sport biker wave and HD guys are too cool to wave at non-HD... The rest of us just want to ride and not be bothered trying to wave at everyone.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I try to wave as often as possible...exceptions are if my left hand is needed for the clutch, a steering manuever, or stabilizing the bike; at that point I do a head nod...sometimes I get a response; I have noticed that non-enthusiast scooter riders don't seem to see me wave or don't understand the significance (DUI license revocation, older folks running for errands)
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I live down the street from the Harley store and I get waves all the time. Out on the back roads I do also with the exception usually being the "crock rocket" riders who are usually "head down in a hurry" anyway.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

I don't initiate the wave but I do always try to return it. It's a frequent occurance. Mostly it's from the touring bike set with the occasional rocketeer, or a passenger, in the mix. I think gender has an effect as well. When my husband and I ride together he usually stays back a little. Occasionally, I, on my Buddy, will get the wave and he on his Kymco "Dink" will be ignored or even have one pulled back. In general though this area is pretty much a, 'ride what you like, it's all good' mentality!