MALOSSI VS POLINI (reed feeding a ticking angel.)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

87PGOSTAR50GUY

MALOSSI VS POLINI (reed feeding a ticking angel.)

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

My reeds are about to collapse worn the hell out and ticking upon acelleration, talked to hinshaw motorcycle and we came to an agreement my reeds are shot.

I would like to know what are you guys feeding your newer scoots?

I am interested in new REED VALVES malossi prefered a while ive been hearing it sound like i was sucking up sand chipz once in a blue moon.

I am intrested in carbon fiber reeds + block as i hear they burn in thr engine when they fail vs steel which catistrofically destroys the engine completely.

Stifness= less fuel usage higher compression maintained no splooge.

My riding will be close to red line 28-31.63 mph

Crank will be changed soon so im not worried about it.

Planning on upping the crank height by .1 on the stroke.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Not a scoot, but I did some work on an '82 MB5 for a friend. He wanted it mostly stock but needed a bit more midrange grunt. I installed a shaved head on the motor and replaced the stock reeds with Boysen dual-stage power reeds. Worked really well, as the smaller, thinner reed opened at lower engine speeds to keep the fuel-air mix governed and the larger, thicker ones opened at higher engine speeds when I needed max mixture.

If your bike is an Aero derivative, the AF05E (not the Spree/Elite E variant) engine should have reed options. I think I remember that you should trim back the stopper plate when using the carbon reeds to allow them to open fully, but it's been a while since I've looked into that.

The MB5 friend also has an '87 Aero 50 that I'll be pulling the engine on soon to rebuild. I'll look at the reeds then and see if there is a Boysen offering that fits.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

az_slynch wrote:Not a scoot, but I did some work on an '82 MB5 for a friend. He wanted it mostly stock but needed a bit more midrange grunt. I installed a shaved head on the motor and replaced the stock reeds with Boysen dual-stage power reeds. Worked really well, as the smaller, thinner reed opened at lower engine speeds to keep the fuel-air mix governed and the larger, thicker ones opened at higher engine speeds when I needed max mixture.

If your bike is an Aero derivative, the AF05E (not the Spree/Elite E variant) engine should have reed options. I think I remember that you should trim back the stopper plate when using the carbon reeds to allow them to open fully, but it's been a while since I've looked into that.

The MB5 friend also has an '87 Aero 50 that I'll be pulling the engine on soon to rebuild. I'll look at the reeds then and see if there is a Boysen offering that fits.

If im correct i have a af05e uses 3 pedal reeds, or two looks flat vs a boysen, ive seen a lot but i am wishing to do .30mm thickness vs .25-.35mm valves as .25 sounds like beginners stage but runs higher chance to fall apart at redline or near it. 30 would be mid to high range the good is that 5 mph before redline on my scoot would help maintain mid to highspeed. 35 would be a race app but is not for daily driving.

"Is my assumption right?"

Maintaining stage two is prep for an upgrade for cvt. Looking to get the best out of 30-40 miles in seconds.

Currently 31.63 red lining which means cvt upgrades are needed to pull that beef.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Malossi reeds for Late AF05E, should fit yours:

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/carbon-r ... wHYSGjn_MI

The kit fomes with.030 and .035 reeds, so you can test both for best response.

The three petal reeds fit the AF16 engines that the Elite/Dio got in '88. I'd be surprised if PGO beat them to the punch on that.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

az_slynch wrote:Malossi reeds for Late AF05E, should fit yours:

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/carbon-r ... wHYSGjn_MI

The kit fomes with.030 and .035 reeds, so you can test both for best response.

The three petal reeds fit the AF16 engines that the Elite/Dio got in '88. I'd be surprised if PGO beat them to the punch on that.
Yeah, i think i should be pulling flipping and rtving for now if the tick leaves then i am sure that its not a ring based issue, i did not gap them but i did notice that if i squeezed the rings together in on the piston they still dont touch together and the wear rate supplementally would have no effect on the end gap the wall and piston rings would wead first before they ever start butting.

Pretty much gap in bore is suppose to be .6 - .7 based on online specs i have a second piston and rings that i have had gapped before install.

In theory, thats why i say that reeds are at fault in this case because the rings would have broken by now in the event that this is a true issue but when fully warm is the only time i hear ticking after increasing load only. At idle no noise if one can provide definition of valve flutter. That would be a most likley a 80% accurate discription as. Strong when cold x when hot they get looser which =flutter