Reverse thread bolt snapped off for windshield.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

Reverse thread bolt snapped off for windshield.

Post by sc00ter »

If you have a windshield, or even if you just have mirrors, and your scoot sits in the weather, the bolts will corrode in the switch assembly and snap off when you go to remove them! Left (normal) side was very corroded and sketchy, right (reversed) side snapped in half! Also of note is how hard it is to find a M8x50 left hand bolt in a 1.25 pitch for the reversed side switch assembly (throttle side). Think I found the bolt, just have to call in the morning and verify/order it. I now putting anti-seize in the switch assembly holes! Did learn that a Zuma 50 2t switch housing back plate fits perfect on the Buddy control, saving me some money/time/trouble. Just a friendly heads-up so this corrosion damage does not happen to anyone else!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Found the bolt and ordered it. Actually got 2 just in case.... Anyways, Bel Metric, a online hardware supplier, has Left Hand thread M8x60x1.25 pitch in 8.8 grade (will need to be cut down to 50 length) for $17 each. Also picked up the matching nut for $3 to install BEFORE cutting the bolt down to help straighten the threads out. Will post the final outcome after the hardware arrives and gets installed. Bolt did seem kinda steep in price, but with some anti-seize this should not happen again. The kicker is I have a sport shield from Canada for my 2t Zuma and it came with stainless steel hardware, but the bolt(s) are 40 length-not 50, too short. Live and learn.
MYSCTR

SCORE!

Post by MYSCTR »

Hey - thanks for this info - just ordered 4 sets (left and right) for our windscreens.

We researched this a few years back and the best we could do was getting them manufactured for $11.00 each - it only took a minimum order of 144 PCS so we passed and then gave up.

Since we have switched to the black out kits, we requested the black plated 10.9 bolts for both sides. Definitely pricey yet due to the limited use we are glad to just have them coming! We never brooke one off yet we have never liked the way the left hand thread was "made" that comes with the kit. Now we got real bolts!

PS: You can use the 40mm bolts if you cut the spacer down from 1" tall to 9/16" tall - you will still have clearance without rubbing the top cover panel. We considered this when shopping for bolts before to lower the cost

Thanks!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I don't know if 20mm would do you any good. If so here is a cheap option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Selling-5-x ... SwDNdVm3hI
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

With the windshield it has to be 50mm. I used a friends circular saw and noticed the same bolt, and that it was around 20mm. Northern and Harbor Freight have them in stock as replacement circular saw parts, just to short for windshield use.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

sc00ter wrote:Found the bolt and ordered it. Actually got 2 just in case.... Anyways, Bel Metric, a online hardware supplier, has Left Hand thread M8x60x1.25 pitch in 8.8 grade (will need to be cut down to 50 length) for $17 each. Also picked up the matching nut for $3 to install BEFORE cutting the bolt down to help straighten the threads out. Will post the final outcome after the hardware arrives and gets installed. Bolt did seem kinda steep in price, but with some anti-seize this should not happen again. The kicker is I have a sport shield from Canada for my 2t Zuma and it came with stainless steel hardware, but the bolt(s) are 40 length-not 50, too short. Live and learn.
I've used Bel Metric myself. Very positive experience. I would recommend to all that it's a great bookmark to have in your browser. You never know.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT