found scooter nirvana Derbi Boulevard 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lancerman

found scooter nirvana Derbi Boulevard 150

Post by lancerman »

cant leave well enough alone I wasnt quite happy with the ride quality of the buddy 125. so I kept searching for a more pleasing scoot for my needs. I bought a BLUR 220 and that didnt cut it. takes bumps and speed tables better than the buddy but she's still a firm ride. came across this Derbi 150 in the next town over. was able to test ride before purchase and was instantly hooked. this scooter drives just unbelievable. Smooth, quiet, peppy, with just a fantastic ride. the frame and shocks on this scoot are just uncanny good. curb is about 270 but it feels much lighter. very easy to move around and remove from stand. the ride is very nimble like a scooter should be. very zippy right off the line. no waiting for grunt to arrive. smooth trans like no other. and STUPID quiet exhaust which I love. And ooh the handling. Super bright headlights. Almost no vibration. Drives just perfect.
scoots driven that had many shortcomings:
italjet dragster 50 and 180.
italjet torpedo 50.
peogeot speedfight 50.
buddy 125
blur 220i
sym hd200
kymco bet n win 250
aprillia sr 50
aprilia sport city 250
vespa gt200
honda elite 250
baja legend 150
etc etc
and the winner

Last edited by lancerman on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

A very nice looking scoot. As a Piaggio product, how much parts commonality is there with other Piaggio scooters?

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
lancerman

Post by lancerman »

The engine same as used in fly and et4. ignition and immobilzer is piaggio. i image brakes as well. Only paid 1250 tax tag and title and it only has 500 miles on it. Mechanic by trade not too worried about keeping it running. There is 200cc piaggio cylinder for it, direct bolt in. there was a boulevard 200 abroad.
DERBI150

Battery Issue

Post by DERBI150 »

Do you ever have any issue with the battery? I just got a new battery and If I do not keep it on the tender, it will not last more than 10 or so hours from the time I turn it off until I try to fire it back up again. I am curious where to start looking where it is taking the juice away and how to prevent it.

Thanks,
Alex
lancerman

Post by lancerman »

man do I miss riding that scooter. sold it to a friend of mine and he completely trashed it in two short months. kept it outside so plastic deteriorated overnight. then got in fights with people and they pushed the bike over on purpose. then he ran back tire low riding two up till it ruined the rim. so pretty in these pictures.

to answer your question yes. mine had same problem. not for first year. but after that battery would die quickl like 5 days or so. I ended up just disconnecting battery between use. I also noticed volt meter was reading lower than I initially got it. I think the voltage regulators go bad quickly. minor short inside that causes battery drain and poor charging.
bike is also faster with solid 13 volts. was using second fully charged lithium bat underseat at the end before I sold it. noticed it had like 2hp more with second bat attached.
Syd

Post by Syd »

What were the shortcomings of the HD200?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

Syd wrote:What were the shortcomings of the HD200?

SYD, the HD200 is air tight and a smooth ride. I've ridden one for a week and I loved it. I even like the lines, but I grew up with the Atari 2600. 8)
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
Syd

Post by Syd »

FromHereToThere wrote:

SYD, the HD200 is air tight and a smooth ride. I've ridden one for a week and I loved it. I even like the lines, but I grew up with the Atari 2600. 8)
I know, I put 15000 miles on one. I might have it today but a Mercedes pulled out in front of me.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

Syd wrote:
FromHereToThere wrote:

I know, I put 15000 miles on one. I might have it today but a Mercedes pulled out in front of me.

Glad you made it. They still sell those HD200s. Big wheels and liquid cooled engine with a 70ish top speed is a hell of a deal for less that 4k OTD.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

lancerman wrote:man do I miss riding that scooter. sold it to a friend of mine and he completely trashed it in two short months. kept it outside so plastic deteriorated overnight. then got in fights with people and they pushed the bike over on purpose. then he ran back tire low riding two up till it ruined the rim. so pretty in these pictures.

to answer your question yes. mine had same problem. not for first year. but after that battery would die quickl like 5 days or so. I ended up just disconnecting battery between use. I also noticed volt meter was reading lower than I initially got it. I think the voltage regulators go bad quickly. minor short inside that causes battery drain and poor charging.
bike is also faster with solid 13 volts. was using second fully charged lithium bat underseat at the end before I sold it. noticed it had like 2hp more with second bat attached.
And there is the rub with Italian products. Electrical gremlins are very common. When they run they are nice rides....