Security for 2016 Hooligan 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

v.meraz

Security for 2016 Hooligan 170i

Post by v.meraz »

Hello everyone!

First time scooter owner! Woo-hoo! I've been wanting one for years and finally took the plunge. Basically my question is, what's the best or highly recommended security for my scooter? I'm not worried about where I park it at home, but only if and when I take it to work in downtown, where there's homeless people. I work inside a retail store with only three businesses total in our building, but there's always traffic coming and going, since we have a Starbucks.

Anyways, back to the point. What are your suggestions? I've read about the Xena alarm, what's your opinion on it? If it's good, how do I know which one to order, based on proper size, etc?

Thank you all,

~Veronica
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

Don't worry about the homeless people, if someone steals it they'll have means like bolt cutters and probably a van/truck to remove your scooter. I'd get a lock and chain, and theft insurance. Here in MA my Buddy 170i was fully insured for $130, which I thought was pretty cheap. Choose a highly visible spot, and near a less secured more expensive scooter if possible.
I don't know about an Xena, I've heard they're good, another Hooli owner will have to chime on what fits.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Welcome to the scoot world! The Hooligan is an excellent choice, congrats. :)

Kryptonite chain locks are awesome. For the most fool-proof security I would go with either the Series 4 1016 chain or the New York chain, and lock through your rear wheel (hardest thing to take off of the scoot) to a pole of some sort. Secondary method of protection would be a Xena alarm. The XZZ6L disc lock alarm fits on the Hooli's disk brake (only one I've tried so don't know about any other models). I chain whenever possible and use the Xena when there's no option for chaining.

And like thumper650 said, THEFT INSURANCE!