tuning suggestions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

racingsnake2000

tuning suggestions

Post by racingsnake2000 »

Hi all.
First time posting on what seems to be a great site.
I've recently got a little PGO ligero 50 (buddy 50) and have started tinkering with it.
I'm maximizing my fun so starting with 50cc work before going for 70cc bbk...
I've just fitted a tecnigas triops, 5.5g rollers and started off with a 92 main jet.
Comments thus far are the bike sounds good, gets of the mark pretty good and pulls well.
I do however notice a little flat spot before she picks up again though...
Seems to be revving higher which is what one would expect. Top end has however taken a bit of a dive and I'm now maxing out at about 46 bmh.
Any suggestions on where to go from here to try and get rid of the flat spot and maximize top end?
Appreciate your comments.
Cheers!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

A couple of jet sizes richer in the carb would likely help. These scoots are jetted lean from the factory to reduce emissions and fuel consumption.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
racingsnake2000

I've gone up to a #92 from a #72.
I might adjust the mixture screw this evening and then maybe as you suggest go up to say a #95...
Seems quite a big jump up already?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Is that a 70cc sport or race pipe? Pretty sure it's too much pipe for the stock bore. The flat spot will not tune out with carb jetting changes. You need to replace the torque driver it shifts about 30 mph. If you slow down to 22-25 mph there is a bog as well? It because the stock torque driver has the transmission stuck in over range. Ncy makes one for $40. I solved this problem by going to a malossi sport 70cc bbk.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I agree that if you have already jetted it a few sizes richer, still bigger jets will not help, unless the carbon on your spark plug looks really pale.
If your exhaust is too big, you may be able to hillbilly engineer some additional exhaust resistance with washers or something similar.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Mr Stiffy

Post by Mr Stiffy »

Might want try out some heavier slides/rollers.
Jetting should be fine might even go a tad leaner, but check your plug.
racingsnake2000

Thanks everyone for your comments.
plug looks okay at this stage.
I have ordered 3 new sets of springs and another 3 sets of rollers.
Incidentally, there are a few good reviews out there and comparisons with supporting data of different exhausts under the exact conditions(dyno) on the same bike, a stock Zuma or jog(or similar for street)...
On both the 50 and 70 bbk, the triops outperformed the rest as far as power goes. I understand that power isn't everything, it's how it's delivered that counts. Hopefully the clutch springs will sort it out, and give a good base for further mods down the track.

Cheers
racingsnake2000

Hey.
Just an update for anyone interested...
The bike is going well. So much better than it was when it was a deristricted stock version. Top speed gone up a little, but that's not what I was after. I was after a little more grunt coming out of corners and to hold speed uphill. I got both.
I ended up installing 1500rpm torque spring and new yellow clutch springs. I found 5/5.5g rollers to be the best for my combo.
Might go up a little in jet size from 92 to say 95.
Your opinions on a new CDI?
Also, what rpm do the little 50s get up to with the standard CDI?
Cheers!
racingsnake2000

Aaaarggh

So, I finally went with the 70cc bbk.
Opted for malossi mhr replica alloy head kit.
The bike ran after with the original carb up jetted. It ran better, but still not rideable with a few holes drilled in the stock airbox.

I researched a little more, and ended up buying a 19mm carby.
Ive got a 98 jet in it at the moment but can't get the b4st4rd started at all now.
What could I have missed?????
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers!