What engine mods does this have?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Xsolusx

What engine mods does this have?

Post by Xsolusx »

Did a tune up today and noticed my blackjack has a ceramic cylinder kit.

Is it possible to identify what it is?

Is the carb stock? I'm assuming no due to the ceramic, air cleaner and super short exhaust it had when I bought it. But maybe it is?

Is there a way to tell what size air cleaner that is?

Anything else you guys can see?

Thanks!

Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

Well that's big LOL
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I'm not an expert on the 150, but from what I see you are missing the plastic pieces that surround the cylinder. These pieces connect to the fan on the exhaust side of the scooter.

For the 150 experts is the gear on the cam stock?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

First of all, Pixler can be your friend: https://pixlr.com/express/
Learn to use it and save us all from ginormous pictures. Just set the width to "640" and the height will take care of itself.

That carb is one of the "less expensive" China made models. Probably either a stock sized 24mm or 26mm. I know that it's not a 30mm carb because the stock intake manifold is still being used (which won't work with a 30mm carb). The main difference between it and the more expensive ones (approx. $125) is that yours does not have an accelerator pump to help with off-the-line acceleration.

The Uni-filter size is based on the carb venturi size, so you'll have to measure it. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say you have a 1.5" size (Uni p/n UP-4152ST).

I'm assuming you want to know what size bore the cylinder is. No way of knowing without actually measuring it with a caliper. As far as who made it, who knows...

The cam is aftermarket, not stock. No way of telling what it is unless it has markings stamped onto it. Look for an "A9" or "A12" or something like that. I'm guessing it's an A9 (a top end performance cam) because that's what most GY6 hot rodders use.

The head appears to be stock.

And scootERIK is right, your engine appears to be missing its plastic cooling shrouds. Very important for keeping your engine cool. Without them, you risk seizing it up on hot days. If you haven't got the OEM shrouds, don't try using generic ones, they won't fit.

BTW: you can see that what you thought was a gas filter is a crankcase ventilation filter. I can see that it goes into the valve cover.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

babblefish wrote:First of all, Pixler can be your friend: https://pixlr.com/express/
Learn to use it and save us all from ginormous pictures. Just set the width to "640" and the height will take care of itself.

That carb is one of the "less expensive" China made models. Probably either a stock sized 24mm or 26mm. I know that it's not a 30mm carb because the stock intake manifold is still being used (which won't work with a 30mm carb). The main difference between it and the more expensive ones (approx. $125) is that yours does not have an accelerator pump to help with off-the-line acceleration.

The Uni-filter size is based on the carb venturi size, so you'll have to measure it. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say you have a 1.75" size (Uni p/n UP-4182ST).

I'm assuming you want to know what size bore the cylinder is. No way of knowing without actually measuring it with a caliper. As far as who made it, who knows...

The cam is aftermarket, not stock. No way of telling what it is unless it has markings stamped onto it. Look for an "A9" or "A12" or something like that. I'm guessing it's an A9 (a top end performance cam) because that's what most GY6 hot rodders use.

The head appears to be stock.

And scootERIK is right, your engine appears to be missing its plastic cooling shrouds. Very important for keeping your engine cool. Without them, you risk seizing it up on hot days. If you haven't got the OEM shrouds, don't try using generic ones, they won't fit.

BTW: you can see that what you thought was a gas filter is a crankcase ventilation filter. I can see that it goes into the valve cover.
Thanks for the replies!

Would there be any reason the previous owner would change the stock carb to this carb?

The unifilter said 2 1/4... Does that sound right? I think k I did get a picture of partial numbers somewhere.

Lastly where can I get the air cooling shrouds?

I bought this with only 300 miles, it's crazy how much stuff was done to it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If the carb is a 26mm, then it was changed for increased top end performance. If it's the stock 24mm, then who knows.

New shrouds can be bought at any Genuine parts dealer such as www.scooterloungeonline.com

Parts 13 and 14 for sure, and possibly 17. Item #11 are the screws that secure the shrouds to the engine case. Item 15 and 16 are the rubber seals that go on the edge of the shrouds on the valve cover side to help seal the airflow so that it goes where it's suppose to. Item #12 are the screws that hold the two shrouds together. Note: you don't really need part #18.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Careful with the Uni filter if you ride in the rain. The buddy's inner fender is relatively large but water still gets in there if you ride through a good soaker.

And yeah, don't ride it too much until you get the engine shroud.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

It's interesting to me the previous owner did all these upgrades and mods, yet kept the stock coil. That's a cheap and easy swap.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

babblefish wrote:If the carb is a 26mm, then it was changed for increased top end performance. If it's the stock 24mm, then who knows.

New shrouds can be bought at any Genuine parts dealer such as www.scooterloungeonline.com

Parts 13 and 14 for sure, and possibly 17. Item #11 are the screws that secure the shrouds to the engine case. Item 15 and 16 are the rubber seals that go on the edge of the shrouds on the valve cover side to help seal the airflow so that it goes where it's suppose to. Item #12 are the screws that hold the two shrouds together. Note: you don't really need part #18.
Thanks!

If the head is stock I would assume the cylinder is stock size also?
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

k1dude wrote:It's interesting to me the previous owner did all these upgrades and mods, yet kept the stock coil. That's a cheap and easy swap.
True. Where is the cdi located?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

k1dude wrote:It's interesting to me the previous owner did all these upgrades and mods, yet kept the stock coil. That's a cheap and easy swap.

The stock coil is great coil. There is no appreciable gain in power running an aftermarket ignition component. I've tried several different parts and it's a waste of time. You can Get 3 degrees of advance for free by enlarging the pickup mounting holes and 6 degrees for $10 with an offset flywheel key. Save your money for stuff that works
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

lovemysan wrote:

The stock coil is great coil. There is no appreciable gain in power running an aftermarket ignition component. I've tried several different parts and it's a waste of time. You can Get 3 degrees of advance for free by enlarging the pickup mounting holes and 6 degrees for $10 with an offset flywheel key. Save your money for stuff that works
I agree with the coil bit, but for $10, you can buy an after market CDI that advances the ignition and has no rev limit. It works very well in my scooter and save me a lot of work otherwise.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Xsolusx wrote:
Thanks!

If the head is stock I would assume the cylinder is stock size also?
Not necessarily. It is quite possible to use a stock head on a big bore cylinder.