Hydraulic brake question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scr00ster

Hydraulic brake question

Post by Scr00ster »

Hello my name is Terry. I live in Atlanta and am a member of the Terminalsc. After loving 10+years of riding a Bajaj Chetak 4t I made the jump to Stella 4t, mostly out of necessity. Nothing against Stellas. I love mine after 2 years. I would have kept the Chetak forever if I could keep getting it worked on.
One of my favorite things about the Stella is the disc brakes but I now find myself having a problem with them.
The problem:
Lately ...well really since this summer...every time I ride there is erratic braking. When I pull he brake handle especially when I first ride out in the morning or after work, the handle feels stuck. Then it seems to break free which then results in the brakes grabbing which leads into a nosedivey sort of thing. The effect is that of excessive breaking. This makes me kind of uncomfortable especially as we have been having a lot of wet weather around here lately.
I took it to my local mechanic who suggested new pads even though the scooter was only 2 years old. I pointed that I thought the problem was with the hydraulic part which he dismissed and since he is the mechanic , I deferred. But he was apparently wrong. The problem persists. Has any one else experienced this? If I sit and kind pump the brake lever when I first start it up I think it maybe helps a little bit. But it doesn't solve the problem even for one ride.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

I agree with you, sounds like a sticky caliper or master cylinder type issue.

I'd take it to a different shop that services scooters .... the issue isn't specific to a Genuine product, any tech familiar with hydraulic scoot or M/C brakes should be able to sort it out.
Scr00ster

Post by Scr00ster »

Thanx fisher. I'm not much of a mechanic so I appreciate the advice.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Try this first......I know, it sounds too simple but you can't beat the price and 99% of the machines I run across with this complaint are successfully resolved.

Remove the brake lever, relube the pivot and put a dab of grease where the lever presses against the master cylinder.

What happens is when you apply the lever, if the contact point at the master cylinder piston is dry, the lever ends up side loading the piston.
The piston then slightly binds in the bore and as you apply more pressure the piston moves in a 'Stick/release/stick/release' manor, resulting in the feeling you describe.

That 'dab' of grease at the contact point is the key.....it allows the lever to push the piston without side loading it.

Report back with your results.

Rob
Scr00ster

Post by Scr00ster »

Well shoot. It DID occur to me that the handle might just need a bit of lube but, as you correctly suggested , that seemed too easy to me. I was planning to bleed the brake line next but now I think I'll try your suggestion first. It certainly can't hurt. My job has caused me not to trust my common sense Thanx!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Yeah, lube the point where the brake lever presses the master cylinder. Generally any spray lube will work. I would do this once every few months
Scr00ster

Post by Scr00ster »

Well that seems to have done the trick. Pulled the handle off, wiped a bit of gunk away sprayed around that master cylinder button, put the lever back on. Took it for a test drive and all seemed well,! Who'dathunk. Thanx folks!