Steibel horn keeps blowing fuse

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Steibel horn keeps blowing fuse

Post by skully93 »

My awesome horn worked flawlessly for nearly 4 years. Now for some reason it keeps blowing fuses.

If I replace it, it works for a while, but pops again, so I don't want to melt anything.

I did purchase a new relay before I wised up and thought to check the fuse, which is only 7amps.

Has anyone had dealings with the upgraded horns on the Blackjack/Internationals?

Much appreciated!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does it blow fuses only when using the horn?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ni66er d1ck

Post by ni66er d1ck »

Check the wiring for a short.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm wondering whether or not the motor (for the compressor) in your horn is worn out. When a DC motor goes bad, it starts to draw more and more current. I don't know how much current a new horn draws, but if you can find that out and measure how much your horn is drawing, then you'll know for sure.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I don't know how it has worked this long with a 7 amp circuit. They call for at least a 25 amp circuit wired into their relay and the stock switch of the Buddy:
http://www.valkmotive.com/installation- ... 18-404-415
skully93

Post by skully93 »

DeeDee wrote:I don't know how it has worked this long with a 7 amp circuit. They call for at least a 25 amp circuit wired into their relay and the stock switch of the Buddy:
http://www.valkmotive.com/installation- ... 18-404-415
Not sure either. That's just the horn in the battery compartment. It's tough to trace the bugger, but I'll see what I can do. Warmer weather incoming!